Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quake Live unlocks on Steam today (9.17.14)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Live unlocks on Steam today (9.17.14)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-17-2014 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282440/

Anyone else excited???

Attachment:
ql_steam.jpg
ql_steam.jpg [ 170.27 KB | Viewed 494 times ]

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-17-2014 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excited and at the same time disappointed they went for the way of least resistance and least effort with the updates.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 01:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Playing over Steam should be a lot less of a bother... I lost my account again because I stopped playing. Oh well...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Steam integration is nice. All the other gameplay changes are bullshit.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no macos client. get fucked id.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Buy a real computer

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can find me as Infje for those that want to play :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 10:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
All the other gameplay changes are [...]

What gameplay changes?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-18-2014 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthre ... st-27-2014

TLDR: loadouts in ffa, item timers on spawn points, hold jump to bunny hop, new hitscan gun with spread (Heavy machine gun)
There is also a new announcer and new medals (midair, combo kill, rampage...)

Not all of it is bad. With load outs, we got a new gameplay ruleset. QL has 3 rulesets now (classic, default and turbo, the QL cpm clone). There still are 10 game modes. Duel has different gameplay than FFA/TDM now and CTF is again different from both. There is so much inconsistency and messed up impacts by the changes that I got quite frustrated in the past weeks.

Most people try QL for 1 game so the updates were meant to make the game more rewarding for newbs, i.e. increase the short-term entertainment value of the game.
What they failed to do IMO is bring the true spirit of the game across to people. Quake is combat, item timing, making weapon choices and movement and that's the game experience new people should have. What they did is put more focus on combat by introducing the load outs (you can select primary: LG,RL,RG,HMG and secondary on spawn). The effect is that the incentive to rotate around on the map and collect items is reduced, the game becomes more hectic overall and also more aim heavy. Also people barely change weapon anymore - they spawn with LG, try to do something and die quickly due to all other players being highly equipped too.
It's especially bad for players with a certain game knowledge that can move their mouse in a straight line because for those people, FFA turns into an unbearable aim fest.

There are a lot more things I could complain about but I'm gonna stop here.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-19-2014 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Buy a real computer

lol android etc.

it's just very strange given id's previous mac support, q3test being exclusive to macs for a while, etc.
also considering q3 runs in a VM theres really no reason not to have a non windows version available. all it takes is the executable.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-19-2014 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This wouldn't have happened under Steve Jo.... err.... John Carmack.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.