Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        "Ye Olde Pump" -canceled

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: "Ye Olde Pump" [WIP] UPDATED ON 04.11.15

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whats really interesting me is -What do you all think about my Stair-sizing?
I like to do stairs in 1x4 size cause to me it feels alot "smoother" to walk over.
:confused:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Easiest way to make stairs smooth is to put a diagonal clip brush over them. So you're really walking up a ramp, except only the stairs are visable.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndehX wrote:
Easiest way to make stairs smooth is to put a diagonal clip brush over them. So you're really walking up a ramp, except only the stairs are visable.

Ramp clipped stairs are one of the most annoying things in custom maps. :mad:

Remember:
If it looks like stairs - movement should be stair like.
If it looks like a ramp - movement should be ramp like.

Personally I can't feel any difference between 1x2 1x3 or 1x4 stairs. It's all smooth with "g_synchronousClients 0". :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
AndehX wrote:

Ramp clipped stairs are one of the most annoying things in custom maps. :mad:

Remember:
If it looks like stairs - movement should be stair like.
If it looks like a ramp - movement should be ramp like.

Personally I can't feel any difference between 1x2 1x3 or 1x4 stairs. It's all smooth with "g_synchronousClients 0". :D

I disagree 100%. Nothing irritates me more in Quake than juddery stairs. It should be nice and smooth

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For me, proper stair height is 8 and stairs are never ramp clipped.

Ramps have a different behavior than stairs, that's why you have stairs OR ramps, they are never the same.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-14-2015 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for me, flow is THE most important aspect of a map, so for the map to feel smooth and flow the best, stairs have to behave like ramps. players need to look smooth as they go up and down them.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-14-2015 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stairs should NEVER be rampclipped. You mention flow, but in vQ3, a 64 unit high ramp breaks your movement speed if you're strafejumping, but a 64 unit high staircase does not.

I agree with Hipshot. Height should be 8 units. Depth can vary, but most of my staircases are 16 units in depth.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-14-2015 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

guess thats me put in my place then :dork:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, i will give them 8x16 unit stairs a chance in my next map.
But to me personally it feels wrong to rush up a stair in 8x16 in that speed that Quake offers!
Its like you get 8 stairs in under 1sec in Real-Life... :/

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2015 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Today i started re-texturing and played around a little bit with Sock´s Plant-Shader-Set and some simple patch-meshes... really cool! :)
-Also added a new Corridor with a small Room in the middle that starts at the YA/RG and ends near the MH.
-Added a few Crates and a Pallete near the MH so you can get the MH from the Middle-Level too.
And again, really really nice Textures Sock... Thanks that you share them with us! :up: :!:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2015 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*LATE NIGHT UPDATE* :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-16-2015 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NICE!- them pipes a subliminal q3 logo

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 02:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY exceeded :alert:

:cry:
Now it seems i have to figure out about that "Detail-Brush-Stuff"
... :rolleyes:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

detail brushes are simple. Any brush that isnt sealing your map from the void, should be a detail brush.
If all your brushes are structual (default) its probably easier to select all brushes and make them all detail. Then go around the map, and select only the brushes that seal the map, and make them structual. That will be quicker than selecting every brush that should be detail.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THX AndehX!
I never made something "Detail" and dont know how to do that, but i will figure that out.
Crazy, PC is compiling for over 2 Hours now /both Cores at 100% and 100% Memory... It took me 5 Minutes to switch to the Mozilla Firefox!
I hope it will not go up in flames...
:paranoid:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 04:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow you must have a pretty out dated PC. I've never had a compile time longer than a few minutes

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its this one -> http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/asus ... 08557.html :rolleyes:

But this weekend i will buy one of those -> http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/40086222910 ... 106&chn=ps but w 4GB RAM for 48Euro.
:olo:

Maybe someone can help me to find a cheap GFXCard... (MAX. 100 Euros)
I want to use 3 Screens (EIZO FlexScan L565) and they all have DVI & VGA only.
Will i have to buy one of those "active-displayport-adapters"?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you compile without -fast or -faster during your lightstage?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For testing i do the (fast test) in gtkradiant bsp menu.
The last one (that i aborted) i did (full final) in gtkradiant bsp menu.. :/

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
I never made something "Detail"

I think it's the VIS part that takes so long to compile. Check out for this q3map2 message: "Warning: Over 90% structure map, compile time affected"

Detail brushes are easy. Select the brushes - hit CTRL+M to make them detail. Hit CTRL+D to hide/unhide detail brushes.
There is also an option in the context menu to "Make Detail" and "Make Structural" to turn them back to normal.

German tutorial:
https://victorkarp.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... nt-textur/
https://victorkarp.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... ilbrushes/

Some examples, left structural only - right detail on:

Normal mode: Small ornaments, light fixtures, columns, bars, crates, doorframes and stairs are detail. (put a Caulk-ramp under the stairs to seal off from void)

Expert mode: Most of the non axial brushes are detail. (sealed with Caulk walls behind)

Über mode - aka Caulk-hull: The entire map is detail with a hidden Caulk skeleton inside the walls. (only worth in space maps - you don't have to use this...)

AndyW wrote:
both Cores at 100% and 100% Memory... It took me 5 Minutes to switch to the Mozilla Firefox!

I have the same problem during "longer compiles" on my "new" system: core i5 win7
With my old rig: AMD 1800+ win2000 i never experienced such "lockups".
The only solution I found is to spare on core during compile with q3map2 using the "-threads 3" parameter. (4 cores in CPU)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Andy, sorry to be moaning but can you use [lvlshot] instead of [img] to embedd your images (in the future)?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2015 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
Andy, sorry to be moaning but can you use [lvlshot] instead of [img] to embedd your images (in the future)?

Sure!
Did i something wrong?? :paranoid:

EDIT: Got it.. My pics breaking the layer of the overall look on the side compared to other pics... I think you mean that. :confused:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-18-2015 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, today i figured out how to do that Detail-Brush stuff.
Also adding Brushes to groups was new to me.
And i did my first own texture.
Things getting clearer... :)

THX sst13 for the nice and quick explanation!

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-19-2015 12:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Sure!
Did i something wrong?? :paranoid:

EDIT: Got it.. My pics breaking the layer of the overall look on the side compared to other pics... I think you mean that. :confused:

Yes, it was about the image size but don't worry! It's all good.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-20-2015 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Today i ordered the book "masters of doom"
I want to get it all.. all the stuff that i missed...
..need input!!!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-21-2015 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The book's an interesting read for sure.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 06:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Small Update:
Had alot cleanup to do... :rolleyes:
- added a new area near RG & YA
- added a 2nd teleporter
- started retexturing

2-Do List:
- more lights!
- clipping
- texturing
- detailing
- work on performance
- the download is 60 MB ATM, only the few textures i used are nearly 50MB! :ducky:

DOWNLOAD W BOTSUPPORT --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/43gar3u3i7xty ... 5.pk3?dl=0

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks great! I'll give it a try now.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok just a few things I noticed:

Where is the light coming from here:

and here:

This appears to be floating:

This texture really doesn't look too good on the wall like that. I believe that texture is meant for floors:

Thats all I got for now :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some lights i just added very quickly so you can see something, this will be fixed!
THX that you found the "Lost 4 Brushes", their already deleted.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems this one plays way better in QL, had a small test a few minutes ago...
Jumps are more fun in QL but now im having alot of missing textures... :( :(
Does QL not support *.PK3´s???

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-27-2015 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Game flow in the layout is nicely fast and smooth, item placement is good, texture usage is really great. I can say this map is gonna become gorgeous. I had no troubles while playing, many strafe jumps and rocket jumps quickly gave me megahealth, red armor and quad. Thank you for great gameplay experience :) If I had more time, I would post more details, which might happen later...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-27-2015 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Seems this one plays way better in QL, had a small test a few minutes ago...
Jumps are more fun in QL but now im having alot of missing textures... :( :(
Does QL not support *.PK3´s???

Quake live uses PK3's just like Quake 3.

Quake Live uses mainly .PNG textures now instead of .TGA's which might explain why some textures are missing.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-27-2015 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe i did something wrong.
I placed the BETA5.pk3 into QL´s BASEQ3 but wasnt able to load it.
Next i put the *.BSP and *.AAS into OL´s BASEQ3/MAPS folder and was able to load it, but all of Socks Textures and some others didnt show up in game :(

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-28-2015 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@AndyW - QL always had to use encrypted PK3's, not sure if it is still true. You had to use program called quakelive decembler (quakelivedec.exe), which is ownloadable for free somewhere. It runs by CMD where you type name of zip file to convert in QL's pk3. Also, to make map truely for QL, you need to run compile again with game set to Quake Live in Radiant 1.6.x - then BSP and AAS will be truly compatible with QL - version 47 which is primary version of BSP used by QL...

Do you have all textures from Sock TGA? Do they have alpha channel? To chech if TGA has alpha channel, open it in Photoshop and look in channels. If there is BW channel called Alpha or Alpha #number# then it has alpha channel - better to convert it in PNG. If not, convert it to JPG as it saves space on the drive. Original TGA files converted to PNG or JPG are to delete.

If all done, run quakelivedec <yourzipfilename>.zip <yourzipfilename>.pk3 that will generate QL pk3...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.