Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Random black blob on terrain lightmaps [fix'd]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Random black blob on terrain lightmaps [fix'd]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-30-2015 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been messing around in Radiant again recently, and got back to my little test map. I don't remember ever having this issue before, but that doesn't matter as I have it now. There's a huge black spot over my terrain, and the same thing on a few other brushes in the same terrain cluster (I have a few terrain brushes func_group'd for more detailed shadows).

The shader for the grass is really basic:
Code:
textures/landscape/fielddirtgrass01
{
//   q3map_surfacemodel models/landscape/grass/fallforestgrassobj01.obj 96 .3 1.5 0.5 0 360 1
   q3map_lightmapSize 2048 2048
   q3map_lightmapBrightness 2.0
   q3map_lightmapMergable
   surfaceparm alphashadow
   surfaceparm slick
   {
      tcgen lightmap
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map textures/landscape/fielddirtgrass01.tga
      blendfunc filter
   }
}

and I'm using Lunaran's ridiculous skybox from lun3dm5, but it happens also with more standard skyboxes. I dunno where to look for a solution, as this is the first time I've ever seen this that I can recall.

Attachments:
File comment: smaller func_group
shot0088.jpg
shot0088.jpg [ 210.72 KB | Viewed 336 times ]
File comment: main lightmap
shot0087.jpg
shot0087.jpg [ 217.05 KB | Viewed 357 times ]

Last edited by KittenIgnition on 03-30-2015 04:09 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-30-2015 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm, uh, really unlucky with these kinds of things. I don't know why "surfaceparm alphashadow" is there, and I don't know why I didn't check it earlier... but somehow that was the cause. And I found it within 30 seconds if making this topic, after having the issue for 3 days.

FML

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 03-30-2015 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I noted that the act of trying to analyse and explain an issue to others usually helps to focus the own mind. Had that happen to me several times as well in the past few years... :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-30-2015 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It also happens to me really often, but I don't catch it until I already send my message or make my post, thus causing some embarrassment. Not that it really matters, it's a bit annoying though.

Seriously though, why the hell does alphashadow cause this? It's friggin' weird. I know it shouldn't have been there, and its presence in the shader was an accident, but this basically means alphashadow casts its own shadow on itself, right? That's weird. And potentially cool.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-30-2015 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same thing with programming. Sometimes you stare at an unsolvable issues for hours and then you ask someone to take a look at it and while you explain what's happening, you suddenly note your parentheses are incorrect :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's called Rubber Ducking.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-31-2015 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's actually called a new pair of eyes.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2015 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
It's actually called a new pair of eyes.

Nah, because it's your own eyes spotting the mistake without any input from the other person.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-01-2015 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed, it's forcing yourself to go through it step by step.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-02-2015 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apparently I need a new pair of eyes.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here is pic A of the map in its working stage and pic B, if anyone was interested =D

If you aren't actually playing on the map, it really isn't that special to look at. It's not amazing even if you are on it though... It's just for experimenting and learning mainly.

lightmap ver of pic A and pic B.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.