Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        rota3dm4 "Rashmi" - alpha 1 by Rota

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: rota3dm4 "Rashmi" - alpha 1 by Rota

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-04-2015 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rota3dm4 "Rashmi" by Rota
Alpha 1

Hello,
I would like to show you my map - rota3dm4 called Rashmi. Its quite big TDM (4v4) map with 2 powerups - quad and BS. I worked on it for long time, but when it was almost finished, id changed the rules of tdm gameplay so distinctly, that all of my friends stoped to play ql and I lost motivation to finish it..
But I saw the map few days ago and maybe its pity to not finish it. Actually about 95% of the map is done. So, I would like to have some feedback if its worth to finish it.

-textures ary my own, or originally q3. (Some of my dm5 textures were based on these dm4 textures..)

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obesbflyq2ra5kg/rota3dm4_alpha1.rar?dl=0

What is not finished:
-lighting
-aas file
-skybox

-overall opinion
-Finish it or not?

Thank you for your opinions. :up:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-04-2015 04:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome back :) I think this one is great even now, just blame it's not with bot support. Although, the texturing is brilliant and the layout is really great :) I'm looking forward this release :) I will post any further details later, I did not have much time to test on :) Maybe I will make a server for alpha and beta testing :)

Jen malá poznámka: Ty kosočtverce jsou káry, ne piky, jen pro upřesnění, když ses rozhodl to pojmenovat podle karet :)
Já si totiž všímám i názvů souborů, nejdřív se totiž chci podívat, jaké jsou textury, zvuky, a tak dále, až potom se podívám, jak je to složený dohromady :)

Last edited by CZghost on 04-06-2015 01:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-04-2015 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rota, yes! i love your q3 maps and i'm glad you're still mapping. it's a shame about your friends leaving QL. i'm not sure what id is doing with all the gameplay changes. the only thing i can think of is QL is suffering and they are trying to attract a new audience. i don't know why they would meddle with such classic game mechanics otherwise.

first of all, there is a lot of great architecture going on in this map. i got a lot of inspiration just looking around at the different wall supports and ceiling shapes. my favorite room is probably the battle suit area.

i wasn't as excited about the gameplay though. i think the layout is flawed because of the OP top level. you can basically run the whole map without being forced to drop down. it kinda seems like you realized this because you put all the armors/powerups on the low/middle levels, but that doesn't actually fix the problem.

i think the room that could use the most work is the middle junction (the one that looks q3dm6-ish with the jump pillars). i think the center of the map shouldn't have a top level that is totally open for players to run around on it. in addition, the battles here won't be very fun because the room is basically an open square with little geometry to fight around.

i can't give any TDM-specific advice because i know very little about that game mode. also, without at least fighting some bots in it, it's hard to say if all my theories will prove true, but i could tell i was rarely visiting the bottom level even just strafing around for the first time.

i think this map has a lot of potential and it already looks great. unfortunately it seems like it's a little too far along in the dev process to address my points, which would require a total rework of the layout.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-04-2015 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map is really strange... and I mean that in a good way... it reminds me of the gritty textures found in Unreal... the layout is a (to me, so that does not mean much) confusing layout seen in Quake or Quake II... the overall quality of brush and patchwork is beyond reproach, absolutely amazing and very creative. I do not recall seeing one sparklie.

I am trying to word this very carefully... but the term "corridor cancer" (Obsidian uses it, not sure I am using it correctly) comes to mind. Especially when you look at the sketch of the layout, it becomes clear that understanding the layout is difficult because the layout actually even in 2D is complicated. Alas, the quality of all the geometry is so high and diverse, I could not suggest what corridors to drop or how to "compress" the layout. I may actually be totally off, because the layout is so different.

I really like the Quad arena, and the lighting in the hazard arena is neat. The MH arena seems a bit gimmicky... there is an original Q3A map that uses such a JP layout, and also there it was thrilling to "jump" but it did not really do much for gameflow IMO.

Something I found very interesting was the brave enforcing of jumps. I.e. bots will not be able to do the jumps (quite probably), but a player can. So the map clearly is for players. I found that interesting because I usually dumb down such jumps to let bots play my maps, but e.g. new games like Reflex may well end up ignoring bots... so seeing non-bot maps is educational. In your map that adds a jump'n'run element, unusual for Q3A.

None the less... I would suggest you try to add a few "planks" or ledges that let bots play the map and then add bot support... i.e. clipping off areas via bot clip that bots should avoid and the like. This should greatly help test the map.

Design and brushwork are pretty final, layout changes might be desirable, but this late in the game I'd avoid that... just add the bot support.

Great brushwork and texturing.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-04-2015 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i agree about the MH gimmick.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-07-2015 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very awsome map, awsome textures and shapes, would like to 4v4 there !

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-09-2015 01:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

- looks great!
- finish it! ;D
:D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey!
Again i jumped around in your map today and was thinking:
-Great looking map, great shapes!
-Super texture-job!
-Cool layout
-Why no Bot support?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.