Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-04-2011 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That glowing ball thing... :paranoid: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45986&start=0

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 07-04-2011 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-04-2011 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

subst wrote:
That glowing ball thing... :paranoid: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=45986&start=0

you can be paranoid all you want, it's not even the slightest inspired or taken from that.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-04-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excuse me, I didn't say anything like that. You can safely ignore my stupid remark, it wasn't really about your map. Don't get paranoid :p
Btw, those screenshots are looking very nice.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-05-2011 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow! Kimza your work looks really sweet. Great textures and lighting work.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-06-2011 12:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Collage of a few small preview pics of an EntityPlus single player map I'm working on:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-06-2011 01:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reminds me of Quake One.

Edit: 10th post :clownboat:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-07-2011 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, my old account is still there.

Been working on the school map again. Those trees make me go nuts. I intend to use sprites for them. The skybox is directly from Google Earth.

Last edited by [acid] on 07-07-2011 10:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-07-2011 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's looking pretty neat. I like the tree. Love that you took the skybox from Google Maps as well, that's good thinking there :)

Are you photosourcing the textures from pictures actually taken at your school campus?

It certainly looks a gazillion times better than that Pakistaini university map.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-07-2011 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, I took pictures of every tree and bush. Even bought myself a Wacom for making the textures with alpha channels, cause it's a pain working with the mouse.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-07-2011 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You actually might be wanting to turn that into an Urban Terror map :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-07-2011 11:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone remember that one guy who was arrested for making a Counter-Strike map of his school?

I actually played it, the brushwork was pretty sloppy, and it was the awful scale of that game.

story

Funny how they confiscate his "hammer" seeing as how you use Hammer World Editor for building CS maps.

Edit: btw Acid, Warsow misses your style. :(

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-07-2011 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't care too much, because I've already been interviewed by a newspaper and reactions were exclusively positive. My former headmaster once phoned me, I shall not release it, because there would be a copyright regarding the inside of the school and thieves might be able to train with the map :olo:

It is a public building, always open from 7am to 5pm. The current headmaster seems to be a lot more relaxed tho.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 07-09-2011 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone's competition maps are starting to look really neat - glad I don't have to worry about it this go around :toothy:
@fkd: try not to break q3map2 too badly ;)

I might actually be able to release a beta of this sometime in the near future, it's nearing "presentable" as opposed to "really broken", and I'd like to have some folks inspect it again :):

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-10-2011 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems that not only the competition maps look good... great job.
Only the texture in the doorway is misaligned.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 07-10-2011 11:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How long have you been showing that map for?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-11-2011 02:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser is right, that map definitely looks like something for Urban Terror.
Tho i haven't really seen much "urban" maps been made lately.
Even I'm working on something more medieval looking that urban.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so far...

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is that now a ctf only map? Nooooo...

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking cool fkd - I like it. A little dark on my screen though.
My stuff is slowly starting to take shape.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UDK, interesting and capable, but filthy >;V

this is WIP, and nearly final.

- horrible smooth-edges errors are horribly apparent and known.. any thoughts/feelings on the atmosphere/color tones? too this or too that? or ok?
- a glass shader's map isn't normalized - occasionally making the glass blue and/or interfere with the fog
- glass shader is fuct - distortion - opacity - light transmittance and whatnot need to be addressed ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try with less fog, it seems strange with so much fog indoors. It should look like dust beams, not a Marlboro convention.

I take it most of it is modelled?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 04:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting. I just started playing with the UDK a couple days ago, corsair.

Prototyping a brawler game and am learning how to make custom static meshes for it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have been working on trying something in Blender and NetRadiant, something that would look seamless in-game.
This is a case in me using the pk02 texture pack. Try to find the seam between the model and the game brushes.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-12-2011 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

corsair wrote:
UDK, interesting and capable, but filthy >;V

this is WIP, and nearly final.

- horrible smooth-edges errors are horribly apparent and known.. any thoughts/feelings on the atmosphere/color tones? too this or too that? or ok?
- a glass shader's map isn't normalized - occasionally making the glass blue and/or interfere with the fog
- glass shader is fuct - distortion - opacity - light transmittance and whatnot need to be addressed ;)

It looks like all the colour has been sucked out of it. There seems to e a lot of visual noise somehow. It kind of looks like this was rendered at 320x200 and then upscaled to 1080p.

PostPosted: 07-13-2011 06:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the suggestions and critique - will definitely improve those bits

the scene´s geo is indeed all modeled; you'll probably wonder what the size of this is on the hdd then too. And that's a bummer indeed because the level and the content pack combined are 200mb!!

It is proceduraly modelled in houdini, which means every step taken in creation is stored (like chain), and every parameter from any action can be linked to another (which would connect multiple chains, more more or less).
What's left is a construction tree - or a multitude of them for the various types of geometry in this case - which allows for a very flexible way of working as well as a relatively small filesize (but with an increased loading time instead - as the end result still needs to be computed after the file is loaded).
The scene file for houdini is only around 8mb (300kb compressed) - the textures in the udk-pack account for much less. If I had exported smaller bits and copied them more often in udk I could make massive leaps with filesize reduction - but I'd prefer an engine which would accept procedural language instead of going trough the trouble ;p

The images probably feel resized because the materials are mostly setup for color only as of yet - but the contrast, normal mapping and resolution are still borked

have fun silicon_milk! there's a lot to explore :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-17-2011 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd: i really like what i see! The screens have a great massive feel. Very nice detailing and architecture. I only wonder while half of the daemia-statue is buried (1st pic)

cityy:: looks super-slick :up:

tehSandwich: looks seamless. But also doesn't look like modeled in Blender ;) Anyways i'd like to know what workflow you used if you don't mind

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-17-2011 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
tehSandwich: looks seamless. But also doesn't look like modeled in Blender ;) Anyways i'd like to know what workflow you used if you don't mind

It's really just some careful UV-Unwrapping and the forcemeta spawnflag. A thing to note is that it is impossible to make such a thing directly in GTK-Radiant; Brushes are too crude, curves are imprecise.

Here's a picture of the "ring" used. For some reason, the ASE exporter I used triangulates in-Blender and not in-plugin. I ended up saving the triangulated mesh.

Last edited by tehSandwich on 07-18-2011 04:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-17-2011 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cheers Strahlemann. its going well so far.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 07-18-2011 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta soon!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-18-2011 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome lighting. Has a bit of a Blade Runner feel to it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good work cityy, looks classy.

Small preview of my own map, abmient lighting only and no details :):

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very nice!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arches look to large and heavy to support themselves, suggest arches below:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-19-2011 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe, actually I'm thinking about something like that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.