Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-12-2011 11:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck you! That's not QUAKE 3 YOU LIAR!!! The lighting looks beautiful at the moment, adding light entities will ruin it!

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-13-2011 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah that looks cool even if its ambientlit

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 09-13-2011 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh, just replace ambient with sun, add more windows/lamps and you're good to go. I can't even remember the last time I made anything with point lights, mostly because they look unnatural. (light needs a source to look good, light entity is rather useful for spotlights instead)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-13-2011 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Fjoggs - very nice textures and atmosphere! (reminds me of unreal1) looking really cool man :up:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reminds me too of unreal 1, which is good.
And I have to disagree with Ouija, point lights can really add a lot - if used correctly.

This is solitude, my Maverick Q3 Entry last year.
http://zfight.com/misc/images/pointlights.jpg

It uses 540 lights. It's so many, that it's almost a point cloud render of the level =)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 04:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why is your 3d view camera's background hot pink? Mine's black... :shrug:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's for me to know and you to find out! =)

But really, it's a good and simple way to easy define what's outside and inside of the level, if you use dark or black textures.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He wanted it to match the colour of his lacy bits. :)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

still an early beta, not properly lit, most of the details arent filled in (as you'll see the streets are too clean)

Last edited by ^Ghost on 09-16-2011 08:55 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW how do you change the camera background color?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

misc/colors/camera background @ tb

Ohh, I recognize that brick texture ^Ghost. hehe

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 09-16-2011 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Getting close to a beta release, just need to fix the minecraftrocks (pic 1 and 2) and add lights. Still ambientlit. :)
Thanks for all the comments so far. Appreciate it! :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-18-2011 12:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

totally nitpicky, fjoggs, and your map looks great, but in the third shot, those 'beams' with the alien texture look a little weird where they meet the trim

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WIP screenshot of my EntityPlus map:

Don't trip those lasers!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
WIP screenshot of my EntityPlus map:
Don't trip those lasers!

awww man, that's cool. I don't have those in mine.

Trip down q2 memory lane. : )

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks neat Eraser, I like that minimalist tech look. Do those lasers kill you on contact or are they security lasers which activate alarms, etc.?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-26-2011 10:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They trigger an alarm which will spawn bots and a turret appears which starts shooting rockets at you. You have to kill all the bots to stop the alarm. The turret can be destroyed as well by shooting at it.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, I finally decided to learn MudBox. Had a little spare time, so started messing around in it. This is my first ever completed piece from MudBox, i.e. High poly sculpt, low poly re-topo, D/N/S and taken ingame... Be gentle...

And no, this isn't that movie I promised. Thats still on hold until I get a new build, so just... Wait a tickle.

578 Polygons
1024x512 Diffuse/Normal/Specular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knyWpHazaTo&hd=1

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The texture's nice but I have to say that's the most bizarre looking rock formation i've ever seen. Did you use a reference? think a little more about how such a collection of stone would exist, rock architecture usually exists in strata compositions or at least has fairly uniform striations. Yours seems to be like a vertical pile of pebbles which by happy coincidence all lock together perfectly in a pattern which simply wouldn't exist in nature. It actually looks like part of a dry stone wall.

I've not used mudbox tho, are you familiar at all with zbrush? i'm trying to get into digital sculpting but it's tough to motivate oneself into doing it for any large periods of time without being distracted, especially after a day's graft.

edit: explanatory images for what i'm trying to say...
this is kind of a similar shape to what you've made and could be a suitable game asset, but see how it's got fairly uniform lines which travel in a similar direction and it's not really made of a group of seperate rocks but pretty much of one weathered down big rock:

whereas if you're going for a pile of individual rocks it's gonna look more like this which is a lot lot flatter:

i've not done any 3D modelling in 3D max or for games for years but similar principals apply that your animations and textures are only as good as the form of the object they're applied to and similarly form is absolute key when sculpting. sorry if i sound like an arse, i'm just offering some pointers, i've actually sculpted quite a lot of rock :paranoid:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 11:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its more like a stylised rock formation than anything that would exist in real life. I didn't use a ref, I just winged it really lol!

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-28-2011 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ive seen rocks like o'diums in underground caves, usually around alot of water>

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Carnival styled map I'm working on for Urban Terror :>

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 01:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

l4d much?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same theme and space i guess, was based of it. layout and gameplay are different for sure

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks pretty nice Delirium. I like how you went with an original location (theme park) rather than just another urban gang street-fight place or a Middle-Eastern terrorist-infested town.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51&p=838421&hilit=#p838421

some new screenshot of zen-ctf :
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

added details in the corridors, fog, windows, corridors on the 3rd floor, light added and removed the ambient light...

suggestion and comment are welcome ! :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hrm warsowlike.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its getting cloooooserrrrr...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did some research on overdose, and I must say that i'm looking forward to it. i support any game--and only games--that run on an engine from id software. the quake engine is so solid. john carmack is pixel perfect; or should i say "binary perfect?"

what you've done with the q2 engine here is great. these gfx are beautiful--especially the bloom effects. personally i don't quite care about the latest graphics. i care about how solid the engine is, and great physics/gameplay. good design/usability--of course--matters most, so im looking forward to a great UI as well.

good modelling, and terrain there. although im more of a classic retro boxy guy myself. i like exact grid-like, cubic, layouts, if you know what i mean. but terrain can be good too, perhaps if clipped nicely--to a boxy effect--maybe.

also, make sure your character models don't walk around like their is a stick up their ass, then i'm okay. have their legs bend, or have a semi-crouch posture 100% of the time where legs are bent (squatting) to no more than 90 degrees or something. heh, sounds like im thinking counterstrike'ish here.

your comments about "coming soon" is nice to read. hopefully it will be done before xmas holidays.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 11:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can see some of the older aniamtion videos for player models on the ModDB site: http://www.moddb.com/games/overdose That should give you a better idea of things.

As for everything else, if theres one thing we are hell bent on its the game being configurable in as many ways as we can possibly allow. We actually put the time in to making every effect/feature etc have multiple levels of detail. So rather than just mess with picmip, we actually create NEW effects/features for lower quality paths, so that it looks as good as possible even when running on old hardware.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just watched all the videos, and i'm simply blown away...

It answers all my questions, so, thank you for showing me that URL.

I particularly enjoyed the music in the "Field Ops Animation Tests Part 2", and "Field Ops Animation Tests" videos. I'm tempted to rip it and make a loop .wav that I can listen to for a couple hours or so. Or if you could just send me the .mp3 or perhaps you have plans to produce a soundtrack that would not be free.

btw, in the starwars rambling clip, i just wanted to point out that the narrator should use "c'mon" for where you said "come on" there. just a note for next time. : )

impressive watch model. in "OverDose - And now for something completely differ"
i like that music too. sounds retro, comedic, cartoony and has no annoying singing in it.

I noticed that "OverDose Title Screen And New Menu Music" uses similar music to the music in the "Field Ops Animation" clips, but sounds a bit quicker and then kicks in some heavier music with the "bar hitting metal effect" --- totally reminded me of the music from one of my top 3 favourite composers, James Horner. the part in your music where it gets a bit heavy with the "bar hitting metal effect" immediately reminds me of the music from the movie, Aliens. one of my top 3 movies of all time.

I liked the "Apocalypse Action" tune as well.

"Suface Tension" is good too.

"OverDose Title Music" is okay, but maybe less heavy on the guitars. and need more catchyness. like that one tune in TF2 main menu screen with all the drums and tune builds up faster and faster or whatever. anyways, it's still good music what you have here now.

all the tunes were good.

good job.

---

i can see where this game is going, and it's going far. i can't imagine this being FREE based on what i've seen in these videos. i just know that the community is out there, and the demand will be there and thus easily sell this for at least $14.95

this game will certainly take off, and after about a year once it starts taking over all the other FPS titles including quakelive, then you can increase the price to $24.95

---

i would say the best video you have up there now is the "Field Ops Animation Tests Part 2" --- i think this video--exactly the way it is now, and with same music--will sell your product.

---

however, i could not see any evidence of there being single player campaign -- which is fine, but then you need to replace that with something else. bots.

i could not see any discussion about bots or AI. the fact that there are no bots means that someone can only really play/enjoy your game unless they have a bunch of friends to play with -- which is a little rare, given everyone's hectic schedules, etc. i think that will hurt the game a little bit.

but i understand it can take quite some time to do bots/AI and to have it be done well. if only this were a funded/sponsored project. if only sponsors knew how much potential this product has.

with the right marketing, and exposure, i believe this game can dominate the market. slap it on steam, and watch the gold come in.

---

p.s.
i want to make maps for this game.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
I just watched all the videos, and i'm simply blown away... It answers all my questions, so, thank you for showing me that URL.

Cheers. Remembr its all id Tech 2, i.e. the Quake 2 engine. We get a lot of slack for how long we take, but it’s a free indie title, and we have ONE coder… So you know, things take time :p We have other sites:

http://www.team-blur-games.com/overdose/
http://www.team-blur-games.com/forums/

deqer wrote:
I particularly enjoyed the music in the "Field Ops Animation Tests Part 2", and "Field Ops Animation Tests" videos. I'm tempted to rip it and make a loop .wav that I can listen to for a couple hours or so. Or if you could just send me the .mp3 or perhaps you have plans to produce a soundtrack that would not be free.

Theres no reason why I can’t upload the songs, I’ll see about that.

deqer wrote:
btw, in the starwars rambling clip, i just wanted to point out that the narrator should use "c'mon" for where you said "come on" there. just a note for next time. : )

That’s me, lol! :p

deqer wrote:
impressive watch model. in "OverDose - And now for something completely differ"i like that music too. sounds retro, comedic, cartoony and has no annoying singing in it.

Yeah it’s a classing tune we Brits know from Steptoe and Son :p The watch works in real time, and is on the CMC’s first person players arm. It doesn’t NEED to be in real time, but we like little things like that.

deqer wrote:
I noticed that "OverDose Title Screen And New Menu Music" uses similar music to the music in the "Field Ops Animation" clips, but sounds a bit quicker and then kicks in some heavier music with the "bar hitting metal effect" --- totally reminded me of the music from one of my top 3 favourite composers, James Horner. the part in your music where it gets a bit heavy with the "bar hitting metal effect" immediately reminds me of the music from the movie, Aliens. one of my top 3 movies of all time.

I liked the "Apocalypse Action" tune as well.

"Suface Tension" is good too.

"OverDose Title Music" is okay, but maybe less heavy on the guitars. and need more catchyness. like that one tune in TF2 main menu screen with all the drums and tune builds up faster and faster or whatever. anyways, it's still good music what you have here now.

all the tunes were good.

good job.

Actually, we went for that style on purpose. A lot of the actual music tracks in the game are lite, until you get into combat at then the heavier tracks kick in. But we looked at classics like Aliens and Terminator to get a feel for some classic action music.

deqer wrote:
i can see where this game is going, and it's going far. i can't imagine this being FREE based on what i've seen in these videos. i just know that the community is out there, and the demand will be there and thus easily sell this for at least $14.95

this game will certainly take off, and after about a year once it starts taking over all the other FPS titles including quakelive, then you can increase the price to $24.95

Its free, yeah, at least for the beta. After that we may look into more options, but that requires buying a licence from id Software. But if we are serious about selling ti then that’s no big issue anyway.

deqer wrote:
i would say the best video you have up there now is the "Field Ops Animation Tests Part 2" --- i think this video--exactly the way it is now, and with same music--will sell your product.

Theres… A lot more… Coming. That’s all I can say.

deqer wrote:
however, i could not see any evidence of there being single player campaign -- which is fine, but then you need to replace that with something else. bots.

OverDose is purely multiplayer, team/class based at that. We like to think of it as a spirtitual successor to RtCW MP. We have looked into single player content but at the moment, its all MP. Maybe if OverDose takes off, we can work on our single player plans. I have a coop based single player design doc that’s just itching to be worked on, lol.

i could not see any discussion about bots or AI. the fact that there are no bots means that someone can only really play/enjoy your game unless they have a bunch of friends to play with -- which is a little rare, given everyone's hectic schedules, etc. i think that will hurt the game a little bit.

but i understand it can take quite some time to do bots/AI and to have it be done well. if only this were a funded/sponsored project. if only sponsors knew how much potential this product has. [/quote]

OverDose is purely multiplayer, team/class based at that. We like to think of it as a spirtitual successor to RtCW MP. We have looked into single player content but at the moment, its all MP. Maybe if OverDose takes off, we can work on our single player plans. I have a coop based single player design doc that’s just itching to be worked on, lol. But plenty of games are MP only these days and it doesn’t hurt.

deqer wrote:
with the right marketing, and exposure, i believe this game can dominate the market. slap it on steam, and watch the gold come in.

I wish that were true, but sadly, I don’t think so, not in this day and age :(

deqer wrote:
p.s.
i want to make maps for this game.

Then go for it ;)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Its free, yeah, at least for the beta. After that we may look into more options, but that requires buying a licence from id Software.

No it doesn't?

I am also looking forward to this game! Maybe modding for it, we'll see.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-04-2011 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bludshot wrote:
o'dium wrote:
Its free, yeah, at least for the beta. After that we may look into more options, but that requires buying a licence from id Software.

No it doesn't?

I am also looking forward to this game! Maybe modding for it, we'll see.

Yeah it does. This isn't a mod, it uses the full source code, not the game code. You are free to make/do whatever you like with the full code, only you have to make the source available to everyody, which is a bit shitty when making a MP Game. So, if you ever decide you don't want that, or that you want to sell it, you have to BUY a licence. Its not that expensive in the long run, I mean, if you are serious about selling it then it makes sense.

But it hurts because what happens when we want a beta out there? We can't ask people to beta test, because the code needs to be released... And that opens up lots of doors for hackers.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-04-2011 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think you actually need to pro-actively make the code public. I only think you are obliged to make the code available to those who are interested in it, which means that if someone mails you about wanting the code, you're supposed to give the relevant GPL-ed bits to them.

As for your fears of hackers and cheaters, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Three reasons. First: If the flaws are there, the flaws are there and they will be exposed anyway eventually.
Second: if there are people interested in going through the source code to find possible weaknesses then there are probably people interested in improving your codebase and reporting such weaknesses as well, resulting in a better, more secure game.
Third: Lets be honest here. The hackers and cheaters are far too busy hacking up Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3. Your game will be too low profile and too niche for hackers to have an interest in it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.