Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-16-2009 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Pat. Is that quake 3?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-16-2009 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sock, thanks for the info., I would've never guessed that. I'm going to keep them looking more modern b/c I want it to feel like an old church in a modern city.

Jal... I like that response :). Yes, it's Q3A.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2009 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm excited to test your map, Pat. It is looking very nice. I wish you the best of luck. :)

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-19-2009 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been lately trying to improve the use Warsow does of q3map2 lightmaps. r_overbrightbits has never suited the game, and whitout it the clamping with texture color has always been very limiting for lighting. So I'm testing with a softer version of pseudo overbrightbits made directly in the GLSL materials. I'm very happy with the result, as any light entity you drop in the map tends to look pretty sweet and smooth, while there's no need of making all texture images very dark to compensate overbrightbits as in q3 case.

The downside is that it requires to scale all the light values in the maps, so recompile all of them, which will affect q3 map compatibility (they will look quite darker, and they did look dark already). But I think it's completely worth it.

Comparison shots:

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jal_ I find myself liking all of the 0.6 shots better--are those your tweaked version?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup they are. So I guess I'm on the right path :)

Last edited by jal_ on 11-20-2009 02:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A slow week for me, still trying to get rid of a flu bug and my head feels like it is full of concrete! Been busy creating props to fill up the corners and floors of my map with. Still got more stuff to make but at least the look of the level is starting to come together.

@jal_, I prefer the 0.6 lighting as well. Not exactly sure what you are doing with the lightmaps but the level scenery has a really nice TF vibe about it. The only thing which is strange to me is the brick and wood textures feel too artificial compared to the plaster for example.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-20-2009 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ye, the bricks and some of the wood textures (I like the other wood ones) definately have to be improved.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ooo, Sock I love libraries...the touch with the books it's nice.

A few shots from me, copied from the No Ghost site:

I have one area left to complete, and a ton of player clipping and hinting to do, but the bulk of the work is done.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY,
the planks look a bit flimsy, due to their length. You may want to double their thickness. Especially the angled one in the center of the last image is too thin, IMO.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@sock: I think you should change the name of your map. I'm going to suggest that you go with "Map on the Edge of Awesomeness" to stick with the Harlan Ellison theme. :sly:
Those props rock btw. Now that you've shown screenshots with the books, I can't imagine the map without them.

@Donkey: Great work! The lighting in that first shot is terrific.

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been working on this for a couple hours, it's a nightclub for my gf's marketing project, not taking it too seriously :D

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck yes kaz

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Pat Howard: Now THATS! some nice detail in a q3 engine. Is it possible to have the same detail in a q3 map as say in a hl2 map?.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm alive. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome Fjoggs! The ceiling is definitely the coolest part, but sadly no one ever looks up at the ceiling. Spread that tubage down to the walls around the floors! I really like the theme so far.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude, that's tooootally tuuubular! [/valleytalk]

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-23-2009 03:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

donkey,

that is overly dark on my monitor, is it the screenshots or is the map like that?

fjoggs,

I dont believe you are alive till you release something :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-23-2009 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Fjoggs, you better finish this one....you are the greatest mapper alive that doesn't finish nearly enough!!!!

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-23-2009 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love that one Fjoggs, clean and bright. Fresh like a Spring day.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-24-2009 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had some spare time at the weekend for some speed mapping and I wanted to test out some different lighting styles and create better looking decals. The current decals I use are fine for grim but I want to place stuff that has shadows and solid colours. So I created a cog decal which animates using 3 shader layers. Works fine with player shadows and bullet marks as well, oh also had to create some brushwork to go around it as well!

The other experiment I wanted in this doodle map was to give the illusion that some part of the map is joined to the skybox, so I created a laser light model which is syn'd to a portal skybox. Multiple cloud layers in the sky, a bit heavy on shaders but looks amazing, especially as it acts a beacon across the whole map. The angle of the beam looks good from other locations but it also feels strange because you can see the beam is connected to the sky, probably need to play around with the portal sky scale so it does not move so much, oh also some wacky brushwork to go around the platform.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-24-2009 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woha... almost looks like AEcell re-colored textures. Though I am guessing you used evillair's originals and redid them?

Interesting to see the template texture set used in this way. Nifty respawn pad.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-24-2009 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude... that looks amazing (love the colour scheme). Though, I hope you're still working on MOTEOF.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-24-2009 07:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

goddamn too much sexy for one page.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-25-2009 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Aeon, I did my own higher resolution versions. I wanted all the black line to be sharper at higher resolutions, (1600x1200) and the texture design for the basic panels are easy to re-create.
@Obsidian, Moteof is still going, I just wanted to experiment with something different for a little while. Been working on forever map for forever and needed a colour/style break.
@Silicone_Milk, Thanks, I think that was directed at me! :p

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-25-2009 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus christ, that is a speedmap?

I love the colour scheme and lighting.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-25-2009 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@sock, Given your last few maps, I would've never expected something like this from you, but man, it is awesome. Any chance of you releasing a .map or a .bsp? I don't care if it's just that room, I really want to walk around in this place!

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-27-2009 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's really sexy indeed

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 11-28-2009 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"The Lion's Den" :toothy:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-29-2009 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't get it... what is this?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-29-2009 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a night club. He said it a couple of pages ago.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-29-2009 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Kaz: Neat!, can you upload it?.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-01-2009 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For some reason this reminds me of tabq1dm5.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-03-2009 09:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

working away.. but the deadline really is looming...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-04-2009 03:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:

working away.. but the deadline really is looming...

It's looking great! Remember, we can delay the deadline should several mappers need more time. :)

Team Event -O- Horizon

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.