Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-02-2009 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[acid] wrote:

MY EYES

every time someone maps their school i think of columbine... :miffed:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-03-2009 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
o'dium wrote:
Small update on the Beach Invasion update:

broken floor tiles make puppy sad :(

Old shot makes puppy confused?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-05-2009 03:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-05-2009 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Fjoggs wrote:
That shelve doesn't look too safe considering the bunker is going to get bombed by grenades, rocket launchers etc. One wallhit and it'll fall over. :p

please tell me you're joking

it's like every time o'dium posts a screen, everyone starts channelling their mother

I don't get it. Not like there's much to comment on the screens anyway.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-07-2009 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wip stuff for a new project I'm working on

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-07-2009 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking great. What engine is it? UT3?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-08-2009 12:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Jal. It's a modo render right now, but we'll see if I bring it into UT3 later

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-10-2009 01:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Odium, in this shot:

http://www.teamblurgames.com/overdose/m ... _large.jpg

The crackle at the top of the hole (the biggest one) somehow gets to piss me off. It's just a minor detail, but each time I look at it I see the photoshop brush shape in that crackle. I insist, it's minor stuff, but when the rest looks so perfect you might want to spend a few minutes on it making the crackle look less perfectly shaped.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-10-2009 05:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seeing as I don't use Photoshop, and that the crack was made from photosource, I can't see that. ;)

But its a crack... If I'm gonna go back to re-do a crack so small you wont even see, I should go back and do the REALLY big errors in these pics ;) :p

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 01:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All programs have the same brushes.

TBH, I don't know why I try to help.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 02:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's a lost cause wondering in his own overconfidence.

old news

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 03:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excuse me? Maybe I just have more important things to be worrying about than a tiny crack in a wall people just don't see, and to be fair only one person has thought was bad enough to comment on? I love the fact I'm a "lost cause" because I wont change an 8 inch crack on a single wall, yet you ignore the fact I changed everything else people have told me to change.

Some of you guys really need to just relax a little and stop with the flame wars, because its getting old.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The point of this thread is to post stuff and then critique each others work. But ultimately it's up to the person with the creative control to choose whether to follow those opinions or not. There's the right to open opinions in this thread and there is the right of the designer to do what he feels is best.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian, of course. And if you read my post you'll see it's written with that in mind.

That doesn't stop me from feeling it's useless to try to do any comment on a guy's work when all I ever see from him are arrogant responses. And that's all I said. Nothing else.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ignore obsidian he is an odium fan

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 01:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't find anything about O'dium's response arrogant. He simply stated that it makes more sense to focus on large problems rather than a tiny crack.

I mean the post in which you mentioned the crack was abrasive as it was saying things like "gets to piss me off"

From an outsiders point of view, that looks like a provocative post imo.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

epicgoo wrote:
ignore obsidian he is an odium fan

Riiiight.... O'dium and I have been at odds plenty of times. Just because I'm tired of the constantly childish bickering on this thread as of late and am trying to mediate some sort of solution between everyone, you think I should be ignored and a fan of any particular person?

I don't see why everyone has to be the emo and take offense every time someone receives criticism they don't want or someone gives criticism that gets turned down. Someone's opinions are just that... OPINIONS. Not everyone is going to agree with you so just move on and get some more work done instead of wasting a days worth of work nursing your hurt feelings.

Quite frankly, I don't give half a fuck about anyone's feelings here but if I have to keep posting several paragraphs to teach you people something you should have learned back in kindergarten, THERE WON'T BE A SCREENSHOT THREAD TO POST IN.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hah! now go back and read your comment in the previous page

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and what? I stated that Jal_ has the right to voice his opinion, O'dium has the right to chose to either agree or disagree with the stated opinion and do what he wants with his map. How have I been inconsistent?

I don't see any arrogance from O'dium's post so perhaps you guys are reading too much into it and picking out things that aren't actually there. It's evident that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have I seen people post some arrogant or cranky responses to feedback sometimes? Yep.
Have I seen people nitpick stuff in screenies sometimes? Yep.

I think that in both cases, it wouldn't hurt to take a few seconds to think about what to post. There's nothing wrong with disagreement, and it's inevitable when dealing with art and creativity. "Disagreement" is not "acting like a douche".

If you feel like someone doesn't take feedback well, then shut up and stop giving it to them. Problem solved.

If you feel like someone is giving poor feedback, then ignore that feedback. Problem solved.

This thread is about screenshots, and quick feedback; not about arguing back and forth about aesthetics and internet dick-waving. We shouldn't have to explain shit like this.

Back to posting screenshots. Please.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since I know you all been dying to see an update :paranoid:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-11-2009 11:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No screenshots allowed in the screenshots thread g0th. Final warning.

(looking cool btw. You mentioned this was just a render. Any particular goal for this model?)

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
internet dick-waving

Don't do it, kids. It got me busted for assault with a deadly weapon.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah sorry about the screenshot, next time I make some personal attacks on people instead :)

On a little more serious note: yes it's just a render for now but it's all built to be fitted towards an game engine at least from a performance standpoint. The real goal is to make it a portfolio environment and to improve myself.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems even when i try not to act like a dick, I still am a dick :(

I am a dick :(

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's the deal: We all have big dicks and this is the INTERNET where you measure in e-penises. That somehow confuses the real dicks and you can imagen what happens when you got 2 dicks. yep swordfight

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to bring scissors to the next dick waving sword fight.

@goth-: Is the image supposed to be so blue tinted?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think Goth is taking the crits against my "dog shit brown" pics and turning them around ;)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian: Yeah but at the same time not. I'm trying to get a better grasp of modos rendering engine, I got a couple of renders with some different setups but I haven't really begun to dig that deep yet. Still a lot of assets to get done before that.
and scissors damn... no wonder no one is trying to swordfight you.

That's right Odium.. I've been following your work very closely for a while now and doing the complete opposite of it is really working out for me :) No just kidding, I like the stuff you do.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 12:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do you like Modo? Have you used any other applications and how does it compare?

I've been using 3dsMax since it's what I've been using for years now, but it's starting to feel a bit dated. New versions don't really bring in much in terms of new features. Sculpting is a bit of a joke in Max as opposed to Modo. Blender's the other option I'm weighing.

I'm looking for something intuitive and easy to build large map structures, but also scalable when I want to add infinite levels of detail like sculpting.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-12-2009 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would recommend Modo to anyone. When I started out with 3d programs I used Maya at first but I'm stumbled upon modo to use as a tool for exporting lwo files to quake4 and ever since then Modo took over more and more to the point when i stopped using Maya completely. I actually even stopped using radiant for simple map layouts and using modo instead. It's much faster to build with than radiant and much easier to change stuff in.

I'm not really sure how to explain Modo really. I'd like to think that I have a pretty good understanding of what the other programs offers but I have very limited own experience from them, mostly coming from reading forums and watching videos. But on the other side I never felt that I needed to add another program. I can pretty much do everything that I enjoy to do in modo, the exception would probably be high detailed sculpts like zbrush or mudbox. Modos sculpting abilities are not on the same level as those programs but you can get pretty far with it.

Quote:
I'm looking for something intuitive and easy to build large map structures, but also scalable when I want to add infinite levels of detail like sculpting.

funny you said intuitive and easy just add "and yet powerful" and you got modo in a box. You could add creative, work flow oriented, scene managment etc etc in there as well. Probably has the best selection and uv tools of all programs, especially if you add Senecas uv scripts.

Anyway I'm hooked :) if that is not obvious already. If you got any more specific questions I be happy to answer them. You can also get the 30 day trial version of modo if you register on their site and be sure to set the navigation keys to use max settings if you do.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any free version of Modo to give it a try? I've been using Maya for years and I'm happy with it, but since you say you changed to it from Maya I must check it :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-13-2009 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the 30 day trial version is the only free version of it. I think you need to register on http://www.modo3d.com to be able to download it. and if your a maya user change the navigation keys to use mayas settings

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-14-2009 11:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watch out O'dium. Overdose has a contender.

I kid. I'm learning how to work with DirectX 9 and getting away from my comfort zone with OpenGL.

It's about two days worth of work with some other non-graphics related stuff going on behind the scenes.

Still trying to figure out why the feet are drawing through the face of the tiger.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-15-2009 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

update.. think it's starting to look a bit better now and no blue tinted fog this time.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.