Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd prefer a higher quality model. Performance really isn't an issue for a game that's over 10 years old.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe try a higher value for /com_hunkmegs. The old default is pretty low for modern systems. I think mine is set to 128 or something.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-05-2012 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use 512 hunkmegs because I'm a baws :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-15-2012 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know where to put this, so I will just add it here.
Yesterday the skyscraper in Sydney, Bligh Street 1 has been voted for the most beautiful one in the world.
You should definitely look for pictures. It looks so inspirational.

http://sydneyarchitecturearchive.wordpr ... gh-street/

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-18-2012 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-18-2012 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks good, getting a strong q1 vibe. if i was to nitpick id say it does not look like the light sources are really lighting the areas right. are you using a ambient light level thats washing out the shadow/light play?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-18-2012 04:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, but only in the first pic.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-18-2012 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My rework of Q2DM1 for QuakeLive (screenshot from the quakelive facebook page) which was added in yesterday's update alongside with Left Behind and Cold Cathode. Go to http://www.quakelive.com and check them out. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-18-2012 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Found this pic of the new q2dm8 map remake for Quake Live on their Facebook:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-18-2012 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good job cityy :up: That RA shouldn't be there though. Should be replaced with either a GA or a few shards in the corridor.

Anyone know who did the Warehouse remake? It's been changed pretty drastically from the original.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-18-2012 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Item placement wasn't one of my responsibilities for this one - the RA comes from the Q4 version which was pretty popular in TDM. We also talked about scaling up the map using q3map2 so it gets closer to the original like Winter's Edge but it didn't happen in the end, unfortunately.
The Warehouse remake was made by SyncError; he also did some work on the Edge (alpha blending the terrain, technical fixes).

Last edited by cityy on 12-31-2012 08:28 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-31-2012 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You mean scaling up theedge ? I like the scaling the way it is. Anyway, awesome work and congrats^3. Everything is awesome in those new maps. The textures look fun to play with in radiant.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-03-2013 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
It becomes curvy...

sst, are these brushes, or patches? I would really like to know how you did this, Im coming from using COD radiant, where with all the extra patch manipulation options this would be pretty easy, but in Q3, i really dont know..

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-03-2013 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crayfish wrote:
sst, are these brushes, or patches? I would really like to know how you did this, Im coming from using COD radiant, where with all the extra patch manipulation options this would be pretty easy, but in Q3, i really dont know..

Curves

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-03-2013 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are two reasons why this is awesome (not my screenshot):

Edit: I guess no one noticed that this is building "The Edge" with GtkRadiant as a Mac application. :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-04-2013 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got around to playing Warehouse and The Edge in Quake Live.
Especially The Edge is a really cool experience. I love what cityy has done with the geometry. It's all done in a very smart way. Lots of creativity in there. It is with no doubt the best looking Q2 -> Q3 conversion ever done.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-29-2013 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New WIP. Its a mall in mars city

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 01-29-2013 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like a good start!
The neon signs seem a bit arbitrary now in relation to their corresponding places. I think you should try making your environment unique by creating a nice logo for the bar for example and differentiating the bar more from the store next to it just regarding how it looks from the outside (maybe a hanging sign, cans/bottles laying around, tables and chairs on the outside, menu chalk board - I'm sure you will come up with more after further investigation).
Could also add some electricy cables and a fuse box to those neon signs. :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-29-2013 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love the environment. The roof structure and escalators look great. That aquarium thing looks cool, could use a dopefish or two.

I think the signs, or perhaps a secondary sign, should hang closer to the actual door of the shop in question. From a practical standpoint, if you happen to be standing next the shop, you're standing underneath the sign and have no way of reading what it says. Instead of a chalkboard menu, I think they would have some kind of digital version in the future so you can order your dopefish & chips or a billy goat burger.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-05-2013 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been drawing some textures

Image Image

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, but the bottom one (haven't tried the top one) doesn't tile properly. The fine scratches and everything appear to tile properly, but it could be that the seams aren't as visible due to the noisy look of the texture. There are some bigger dents in there, however, that are cut off at the seams, which makes it look a bit odd.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 01:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

top one?
lol time for a new monitor sir

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
top one?
lol time for a new monitor sir

heh, okay, left one then.
I usually run my browser windowed so that's why it had less horizontal screen space available.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh oh, I see "Bevel & Emboss Syndrome". The problem with using the Bevel & Emboss filter is that it looks exactly like you used Bevel & Emboss, it is very distinctive and looks too obvious. Beginner Photoshop texture artists seem to always overuse that feature. IMO, it ruins an otherwise fantastic texture.

At the very least, I would tone down the intensity to at least 50%. Then hand paint some of those edges back in (or paint them from scratch without the filter). Try experimenting with the burn and dodge tools to add highlights and shadows. Also experiment with multiply and overlay layer blend modes.

I updated this thread here, take a look:
viewtopic.php?t=45802

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im with Obs on this!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, Im trying to get the style kinda like shiny normalmapped, but for old technology w/o normal maps ) Could try to tone down the hilights a bit

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-06-2013 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can still get that effect. What I'm saying is that using the B&E filter isn't the best way of achieving that look. So yes, tone it down a lot and then hand paint some of those highlights using techniques I linked above.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10fps :D

I'll be doing the lighting (and possibly low-poly collision stuff) in max, if I ever decide to try and play on this map. I'll also be adding a bunch of detail and other good stuff, duh.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Needs smoothing groups and texture blending. Why only 10fps?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still working out some bugs with the blending shader, and I also need to learn how to do a couple more things, such as increase the length of the blend (over 2-3 brushes instead of 1).

The reason I get 10fps is because this map is ~35,000 brushes. That's bound to screw with any system.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-07-2013 10:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that your own rendering engine or some fancy model trick in Q3?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That mountain is 100% brushwork, generated in Easygen from a heightmap I made in L3DT. It works fine in baseq3 (aside from the 2k textures, which should work with some config tweaking that I'm too lazy to do).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought I recognised the work easygen signature. Am not sure why you would want to use that. The old metashader stuff too is hopelessly outdated. If you can use Max, why not model the terrain in Max in the first place?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-08-2013 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It doesn't look 35k? Maybe its the perspective and stuff making it seem that way. But anyway, thats nothing. The problem is likley coming from them being unsmoothed, which is a hell of a lot slower on bigger things.

But even still, 10fps... What system? I didn't think Q3 was that bad...?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.