Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All the talking about fonts... :rolleyes:
Now adding some serif styled supports, to break up the "generated" look a little bit. :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 08:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that's really cool :) Oh, can you please me tell, how did you make custom assets in Hypercube to appear only in this map? Does worldspawn have any special keys to do that job or is it just naming convencials? And is it possible to do this also for sounds?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If that's supposed to be a head then why not add some brain matter textures in the upper parts of the map, like this one:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/brain-te ... 168692.jpg

And if the level is a head then there should be an outside area at the front of it (the mouth as a door?) so players can see that...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Now adding some serif styled supports, to break up the "generated" look a little bit. :D

Hehe Serifs are neat, and as a result, your architecture looks neat :)

Damn, I can't stop thinking about NaissanceE.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-07-2014 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@CZghost: There's a shader remap function in Q3.

http://robotrenegade.com/q3map2/docs/sh ... ities.html
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/trigshaders1.htm

For example my cloud rocket explosion:
Code:
classname      trigger_always
spawnflags      1
targetShaderName   rocketExplosion
targetShaderNewName   textures/13cube/_rocketexplosion

For sounds you can only use a small hack to silence func_door or func_button entities. Then attach a new sound with a target_speaker.
I've done this in 13hive with the pillar lift. A sample map can be found here: http://sst13.de/dev/noiseless-button.zip

@themuffinman: Inside the head it's more like a metaphoric environment. So there's no brain. :D
The idea to make the mouth or nose a doorway is nice! But the map is only located in the upper part of the head. The way to the mouth and outside would be too long.

I think I make the outside area some kind of secret. Or visible in intermission screen and spectator.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-07-2014 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
There's a shader remap function in Q3.

For sounds you can only use a small hack to silence func_door or func_button entities. Then attach a new sound with a target_speaker.
I've done this in 13hive with the pillar lift. A sample map can be found here: http://sst13.de/dev/noiseless-button.zip

Wow, now I understand :) I though that shader remmaping can be used only for textures bringed to the map, not every shader used. That's incredible, will try experiments :) So the noiseless button/door/plat is made off separated brushes in separated spaces, but in identical entity so the noise will appear outside of the map, right? Good one :)

As for the head, it might be considered spectator easter egg? :) Please, make it also for players, maybe some hidden teleport that sends player to some kind of floating platform in outside area and face teleexit to the head's face :) Also make an exit from the platform back to the map so I will be able to continue in playing :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-08-2014 09:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh when do you plan to release hour head, sst? :) It looks so nice my fingers are shaking to play the map :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-21-2014 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WIP screen for my mapcore competition map.

more info here

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 11-21-2014 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

might have to source other textures-I dont think e8 is QL friendly!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-22-2014 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx for the heads up. the competition does not require the map be compatible for quake live though. i would like it to be compatible if id decides to pick it up, but the competition is too far along to worry about that now.

how do you know which textures can be used? i'm assuming it's an issue of licensing, right?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-23-2014 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-29-2014 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quick screenshot of my map for the Mapcore Quake 3 level design contest, which is wrapping up on the 3rd:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-30-2014 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Daaaamn phant that's quite a screenshot!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-30-2014 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sad geometry is sad

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-30-2014 06:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-30-2014 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha :)

You know I'm going to have to change that now, don't you??? ;)

And, thanks KittenIgnition!

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-03-2014 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My new venture after hammerwatch

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 12-04-2014 01:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol q1 powerup

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-04-2014 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't wait to get my hands on that Hipshot. :D

My long time burden Ragnarok got released on QuakeLive yesterday. If you have a free minute check it out! :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-04-2014 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
My long time burden Ragnarok got released on QuakeLive yesterday. If you have a free minute check it out! :)

Amazing work cityy. Love that architecture! Speaking of burdens, I have this one map of ours...I think you will like the direction I'm taking it...like nothing really ever seen in Quake before...

------------------------------
Hipshot:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-04-2014 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are those wagon wheels finally round? Square wheels don't work quite as well, I'm told.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-05-2014 12:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phantazm11 wrote:
Speaking of burdens, I have this one map of ours...I think you will like the direction I'm taking it...like nothing really ever seen in Quake before...

:D :D Can't wait to see what you are coming up with!

Obsidian wrote:
Are those wagon wheels finally round? Square wheels don't work quite as well, I'm told.

Yes, they should be!!!

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-05-2014 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I took a look at the level Cit, look good a solid release, I'm also gonna see if I can play it this lunch.

However, the wagon wheels might be round, but that's not even close to a perfect circle =) That must be one hell of a bumpy ride.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-05-2014 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few more screenshots from my latest map, Geotechnic (for the Mapcore Quake 3 Anniversary contest):

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-06-2014 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks rather neat. Love the rounded pit in the first shot, and the rounded off roof of the second shot. Really nice designs.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-06-2014 02:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@phantazm11: Another sad geometry? :olo:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2014 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think the stress of an impending deadline put phant in a very dark place emotionally while he was making this map :p

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 02:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been awhile since I posted a screenshot, so here's a reflex shot. :) Still not much assets to work with, so you have to make due with what little you have.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 03:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs,
I really love the brushwork... makes me wonder why this was not done in Radiant ages ago... maybe the "difficulty" to getting it done in Reflex is the motivator?

With the map converter working and the full power of GTKradiant now at the tips of our finger... muhaha... to create maps for Reflex that is... the geometric detail should pretty soon ramp up. Much like I did for AEdm7r, you may also be getting tears in your eyes, reflecting on the amount of work it was to create such brush detail only using Reflex.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait, are you saying you can create Reflex maps with GtkRadiant?

edit:
oh nevermind, just saw your q3 -> reflex map converter post

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Man that's awesome to have the patience to do brush work like that in Reflex.

What Reflex really needs right now, outside of a rotation widget, would be hierarchical instancing and the ability to bring in static meshes. While I can definitely see it being nice to use GTKR I really just cant bring myself to do that.

Tsu: https://www.tsu.co/zZCastleZz
Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Castle,
you need to build a larger map, and then find out 30% needs to be moved... "feel the pain" :owned:

I really liked your optimized stairs... "right in the face of all the wannabe mappers". I have a good excuse that I never used your method... I don't add stairs. :ninja:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Optimize everything!

Castle: Yeah it's lacking severely in several fields, but there's more pressing matters to attend to right now. Hopefully they'll get time for a map editor patch sometime soon. :)

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 12-11-2014 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
Castle,
you need to build a larger map, and then find out 30% needs to be moved... "feel the pain" :owned:

I really liked your optimized stairs... "right in the face of all the wannabe mappers". I have a good excuse that I never used your method... I don't add stairs. :ninja:

Oh yeah I can definitely see it being a major pain to have to move big chunks of a level around. Though allowing me to select multiple brushes at once in addition to having hierarchical instancing I think would do a heck of a lot in the way of addressing this problem.

Fjoggs wrote:
Optimize everything!

Castle: Yeah it's lacking severely in several fields, but there's more pressing matters to attend to right now. Hopefully they'll get time for a map editor patch sometime soon. :)

I am very interested in the development of this toolset as it really has a ton of potential.

Tsu: https://www.tsu.co/zZCastleZz
Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 12-12-2014 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm's map along with q3gwdm2 should be the contender for the main prizes in the mapcore contest IMHO. Amazing maps looks + gameplay wise.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.