Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-02-2016 05:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@City,
Yes I do.
I have an idea where I'm going...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@dONKEY & cityy: Yeah, I might have to add some light at the end of the tunnel :P

@dONKEY: Looks smashing! Love those vertical walls.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lightened up the scene a bit. Click for larger image.

Last edited by AEon on 02-13-2016 09:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ted the image.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aha...
that looks cool. Very Wild hunt :)
How are you doing collision mapping with your models? I've done quite a lot of terrain sections that way now and I find the process of clipping meshes very troublesome. Idtech 4 is so much easier, where you can add a simplified collision hull to the mesh.
I'd be really interested in how your doing it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I never really saw this going beyond just this little scenario. Mostly because of clipping. I would love to do an entire underground cave level for Q3, but unfortunately, I don't see how that is possible.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-03-2016 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had some success with simplifying the mesh, then exporting as a .map, the trouble with that is the Blender export to map script wasn't great. Not sure if it's improved these days.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-04-2016 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I'm being too simple here, but isn't it enough to just roughly trace the model with a clip brush?

Looks great by the way

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-04-2016 09:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser..yes that's true. However with extensive non-axial meshes clipping becomes a real nightmare. Kat did it very well in 'Little Rock', so it's possible, but very tiresome in a large map. IIRC Kat's map was 1024x1024.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-05-2016 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the ideal way to do it is to create the clips first, import into your modelling program, then build the stone around the clips. This ensures that the clips stays on the grid, while the model can stay close to the form of the clips.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-05-2016 11:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just do it on grid in 3d modeling program!

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-06-2016 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think obsidians idea is better, cause even if you go grid in a modeling program, they don't have the same restrictions, not even close and even if you follow the grid, you might notice that some angles and whatnot just won't follow in radiant as brushes.
So, the reverse seems better, do the "shape" in radiant first, then tweak it when you build the terrain in max or whatever.

Last edited by Hipshot on 02-06-2016 01:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-06-2016 01:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it depends. A mesh that is largely eye candy, that makes sense. Indeed, that is exactly the route I've followed. For meshes that make up playable areas, then issues can become more obvious. I guess there are limitations we have to accept.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-06-2016 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I *think* (can't remember) but at one time I worked with an invisible more simplified mesh as spawnflags 2, then only spawnflags 4 on the graphical mesh and ofc a more serious botclip around it all.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2016 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@phantazm11: That cave looks amazing!

Small update:

:arrow: Going crazy with tha Sock´s!

Now in Super-8 Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsMHwTvDYqY

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't help myself :)
My first attempt at building Doom levels.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 04:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

had fun with inverse linedefs yet?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean. Doom Builder 2 is quite clear about what the front and backsides of your linedefs are so I haven't ran into any trouble in that area yet. Or are there fancy tricks you can pull off somehow?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser: Cool! :)
Its a bit strange to go back to a "non-polygon" engine -isn't it? Id played around with DEU & DeeP back in the 90´s (D3D Build too) and then there was Quake 2... :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Doom Builder 2 is quite clear about what the front and backsides of your linedefs are so I haven't ran into any trouble in that area yet. Or are there fancy tricks you can pull off somehow?

Walkthrough walls and triggers based on movement. But mostly, as your map gets bigger and more complex it gets a bit messy to keep track of their sides.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[quote="Eraser"][/quote]

Cool, I started myself a few weeks ago, it's been like 19 years since I did a doom level haha =D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks great AndyW!

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha cool stuff Eraser, I'm working on a was myself, I'll link it when I get home. Mine is running on gzdoom because if the cool entity based lighting :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2016 11:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sticking to zDoom and only its original Doom functionality. I realize there's a lot of stuff you can do with modded engines. zDoom for instance allows sloped floors/ceilings and some lighting tricks as well (colored lights for instance). I am very consciously putting these limitations on myself because otherwise it's becoming a sliding scale where I'd end up building something like shown in the Q3/Doom mashup video and I explicitly do not want that. If I'd wanted that I'd boot up GtkRadiant and build an EntityPlus map :)

Building a full 32 map WAD seems a bit like a daunting task though. It's taking far longer to build a single level than I thought it woukd (having done 2 so far) and already it's very apparent I'm going to have to do a lot of difficulty level balancing.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-12-2016 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why haven't I found this site before, it's amazing so talented people are still mapping for Q3 engine and even some of my mapping idols are here :eek:
I'm currently working on my biggest project yet visually but now that I bumped into q3map_fs_20g , it might the way I wanted the map to be, eventhough I doubt it will work as I cant get it to work properly (Max_shaders hit with fs20)
(Very bright outside walls, but darker shadows)

The map is a remake from scratch of the Battlefield 3 Ziba Tower
More pics here: http://imgur.com/a/n9lF6

It's for Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix, not really Quake3 but its the somewhat the same engine

Last edited by KENNITHH on 02-13-2016 12:21 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-12-2016 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks really nice, but havent there been swimming pools on the side with the wood floor? Its a shame that you cant add the destructibility. Thats what made the map really fun.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoF2 was awesome. Played that quite a bit on LAN parties.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 01:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey sof2, yea, that's great and we actually still play that in lan at work, so if you need your level tested =D

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Dangel, do you mean at the bottom of the picture where the wood would go to the pool? There's actually a pool there but it's not visible here ^^
@Hipshot, that would be great !

I'm currently trying to add as much props as possible for this evening (19 GMT) as there's a server thats gonna put my map online.
They try new maps every saturday evening with a bunch of folks. Would be cool if you guys joined in. ( <HoP> Clan Night Server ).

I would really appreciate if any of you could check out my .map to see what could be done better and optimized, aswell as my shader. I've got some experience in mapping but I'm not quite good at those 2 :p. And perhaps help me out getting my walls outside very bright like almost blinding but darker in shadows?

I'm currently using this to compile

-bsp -meta -samplesize 16 -v -rename
-vis -v -saveprt
-light -patchshadows -fast -dirty -dirtscale 1 -dirtdepth 16 -samples 6 -gamma 2.5 -compensate 1 -v -threads 2

q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 8
q3map_sunExt 1 1 1 500 160 45 3 32
q3map_skyLight 200 6

ambient 10

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes i meant the bottom of the picture. I played the map alot in bf3 and was confused when i didnt see a swimming pool there :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ambient will immediately kill all dark shadows. Ambient adjusts the contrast of the lightmap by cranking up the low values. If high contrast is the look you're going for, I would avoid using it.

For high contrast between light and shadow, you want a strong primary source (sun), and a weak secondary source (sky's radiosity). You control this with q3map_sunExt's intensity value (set relatively higher), and q3map_skyLight's amount value (set relatively lower). You're sun's pretty bright, so try lowering the skyLight amount, try something like 50.

Note: skyLight's iterations value is exponential, so a value of 6 is quite high and will take a long time to compile with little benefit. I would use a lower value at the very least to test with, and if you feel is necessary, use a higher value for a final compile. Less hairs pulled.

The other stuff that will affect contrast is -gamma and -compensate. To start, I would leave both switches out until you can get the approximate look that you want with your sky shader first. I think the look you're going for involves overbright values, you probably want to bump things gently by increasing -gamma and optionally with a low -compensate value. I'm not even sure if SoF2 uses r_overbrightbits.

Oh, and why aren't you using -bounce? That will probably help with the indoor lighting.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-13-2016 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did someone say Doom? :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

These maps are up to 20 Years old. :owned:
I made about 12 Doom2 maps but never released any of them over the internet.
The last shot shows a deathmatch map and is also the base of 13simple (http://sst13.de/pics/simple3.jpg)

Eraser wrote:
Building a full 32 map WAD seems a bit like a daunting task though.

I tried the same but got stuck after 9 maps. :cry: Let me know if you need some material. :D

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-14-2016 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
@Eraser: Cool! :)
Its a bit strange to go back to a "non-polygon" engine -isn't it? Id played around with DEU & DeeP back in the 90´s (D3D Build too) and then there was Quake 2... :)

DEU - brings back fond memories. :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-14-2016 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@obsidian, thanks for that , it really refreshed my knowledge of it.

Here's my latest beta version of Ziba Tower remake for SoF2. Let me know if you find any bugs, or would do things differently

If you want to take a look at the .map, pm me

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t6p2nv69j4ut2 ... a.pk3?dl=0

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.