Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-07-2015 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Playing around a bit... maybe this time its getting playable, but i dont think so...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-07-2015 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool. that greenish-brown beam with the rivets looks like a QL asset to me though. just wanted to make sure you know that "QL assets cannot be distributed for use in Q3 maps," according to syncerror. if it's not from QL, just disregard this.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-07-2015 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes its from QL, but THX Pat! Syncerror wrote exactly the same to me a few weeks ago. :D :D
Im using Wolfcam, socks textures and the QL pk3´s only at the moment.
I really have to find my Q3 Disc... Its gone since i left my old appartment.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-09-2015 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started a small outdoor staircase tonight, this time i have really fun. Strange :D

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-17-2015 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's ok, but there's a lack of internal logic to some of the features: the wires that dangle that aren't connected to anything, the indoor dirt floor...

then there's the loose floor tile. hate to say it, but that's one of the oldest and most venerable of all Q3 mapping cliches, equalled in ubiquity only by the ceiling pipe and the crate pile

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-17-2015 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
then there's the loose floor tile. hate to say it, but that's one of the oldest and most venerable of all Q3 mapping cliches, equalled in ubiquity only by the ceiling pipe and the crate pile

Youre soo damn right! I have to find some new nice gimmicks.
Thx! :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-17-2015 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crates will never die! >:E

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-17-2015 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW: It may contain a few cliches, but it looks great just the same. A lot of improvements over the first screens you showed here. You will be a master level designer before you know it!

WIP of a little project I started the other night:

Attachment:
atst_2_together.jpg
atst_2_together.jpg [ 190.57 KB | Viewed 437 times ]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-17-2015 09:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Wars Time! :up:
Thx phantazm11. We will see... ;)

Did a jumper with Socks set and 6 small stock textures tonight.

EDIT:
Shit, just saw that the jumper looks a bit like the jumper in corrosion... That was not my plan!
:paranoid:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-18-2015 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gateway test @ Good ol´Sock´s :)

I will do some prefabs for later maps till i find a nice layout.. so its hopefully not a waste of time! :)
By this way i also learn stuff about the scaling.
:idea:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-21-2015 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice Doorway AndyW.

Just about finished with the head of the At-St. A few more doodads and the right hand cannon to do then it is off to the body.

Attachment:
atst_5_top_together_q3w.jpg
atst_5_top_together_q3w.jpg [ 198.32 KB | Viewed 363 times ]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-22-2015 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool! Which Program do you use, 3DS Max?
I want to do some Map-Objects soon and dont know which software to use.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-22-2015 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, 3DS Max.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-22-2015 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want 3DS MAX too... And a new PC...
I think i have to rob a Bank! :alert: ;)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-23-2015 01:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, start finding friends to do so with you ;) Like George Clooney :olo:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-25-2015 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Gateway test @ Good ol´Sock´s :)

Oh my, I just remember my own super futuristic gates I've been working on for some fancy map for a Stargates style.
They were big, half glassy with 3 layers, triggering opening was just awesome process, all the details I put into it, all the sound effects synchronized with the open/close process was amazing, I regret I didnt record any video and put into my YT channel just for a preview as I planned to do an long time ago...until it was too late as I lost everything, except some old .map version of this map without any textures/sounds/scripts eh, such a waste :(

But you would be impressed how this looked like and was working, it really gave the map of the syfy feeling ^^

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-25-2015 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally finished the head. :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-25-2015 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really impressive... I have a plastic model of the AT-ST somewhere collecting dust... and this really looks convincing.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-25-2015 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool! :up:
Do you want to add animations too?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-25-2015 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys. I wish I could say it was easy, but I've been learning as I go and have had to go back and redo a few things. It is getting more intuitive though, which is good!

I don't think I will be animating this as animation doesn't appeal to me much. That said, I have learned how to use parent-child connections to make models move correctly at joints using pivot points so I will be able to pose it correctly when I'm finished with it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-28-2015 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi all,
does q3 mapping still require a lot of compiling time?
I left mapping many years ago but now I'd like to restart something...I enjoyed q4 mapping becouse there was no compiling time :D
I suppose that I have to go back to make maps for q3l

thank you :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-28-2015 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A1yssa wrote:
Hi all,
does q3 mapping still require a lot of compiling time?

No! Im running a Core2Duo@3Ghz with 4G Ram and all is fine. Things that may took Days to compile on my old AMD K6-2 350 with 128MB RAM (PC when Q3A came out) are now nailed down in a few seconds... If its a whole map maybe some minutes.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-28-2015 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A1yssa: Quake 4 mapping have some compiling time, just it's a lot quicker than normal BSP compile as Quake 4 use directly the source editor map file. But the game engine can't reconstruct the map only from this source template, it needs to generate collision map, specularity map (based on materials) and bunch of AAS files to load bots (AI part of the game). Quake 3 needs basicaly only two map files: BSP for game level model, which contains geometry, collision map, lightmap and visibility map, and AAS, which is the same map adapted and visible only for bots. These are generated by q3map2 and bspc respectively. BSP is made from source file .MAP that is only for editor and AAS is made out of BSP. Then maybe it takes a little bit longer to compile Q3 map than Q4, but Q3 map has less hardware requirements than Q4 when it comes to play it. Q3 has static lighting (the lightmap), Q4 has dynamic, which requires a lot more videocard performance - so it will be more laggy than the same map in Q3 version on weaker systems...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-28-2015 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

funny, I was going to ask the same thing... I remember back when I used Q3 engine a lot to make maps and all those BSP + lighting compile times... I remember making sure as much BSP was 'fake' or whatever the term was (to ignore it from BSP splitting) to help speed up just the geometry build time! good times! :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-29-2015 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's much faster these days, but pretty much only due to more raw processing speed of today's CPU's.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-30-2015 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I lost the reply llol...
AndyW, CZghost, thank you for the reply. I saw beautiful maps here and I wanted to do mapping again...but it seems that all the hours spent learning how to do things are gone lol. I don't remember anything about mapping and unfortunately I don't have now the free time I had 5-8 years ago :(

I'll try to look at some old threads...

:)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-30-2015 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Almost finished with the body of the AT-ST. Please yell at me if I'm posting too many screenshots! :)

Attachment:
atst_body_together.jpg
atst_body_together.jpg [ 237.21 KB | Viewed 406 times ]

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-30-2015 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There can never be enough screenshots :)

I have a hard time recognizing the "body" of the AT-ST though... hmmm... probably never looked at it in detail enough without "head" and "legs". Looking forward to the finished AT-ST.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-01-2015 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looking at that, you can kind of see why the Empire lost: all the guns face forwards, meaning that the entire main body has to turn to fire at something. i can't remember if this involves shifting its legs around as well, but if it does that's a double facepalm :dts:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2015 02:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bullshit. The only reason the empire lost is because Darth Vader's feelings of parental responsibilities made him soft >:E

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2015 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Phantazm11: Sexy Hip!
No, they all lost when sold to Disney... :tear:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-01-2015 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, they were overpowered by midi-chlorians, apparently.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-02-2015 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MIDI-Chlorine? What's that?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-02-2015 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition probably never watched Star Wars :olo:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-03-2015 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a sound format, like Mp3-Chlorine.
Anakin has a lot of Mp3-Chlorine!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.