Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        AXDM1 - The Heinous Place

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: AXDM1 - The Heinous Place

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-24-2015 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So this is probably almost finished, I figured I would release it to get some feedback.
This is the first map that I've actually finished. It's inspired by my favourite Quake 1 map Q1DM2 - Claustrophobopolis.
I think im pretty much finished with the layout, but I would like feedback on item placement, and ways to improve the detail.

oh and clip brushes etc are not done yet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3f96tuh86qe7u ... 1.zip?dl=0

Last edited by AndehX on 04-27-2015 03:49 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 04-24-2015 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did you make the higher res quake 1 textures yourself?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-24-2015 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NO they are from the Quake facelift project!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-24-2015 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, looking good. scale seems perfect and the textures are being used well. if you add a bot file i will be able to test FFA gameplay more.

lighting is a bit dark for me, but i always prefer it bright.

i noticed you have a lot of horizontal trims, maybe you could work in some more vertical support beams to break up the walls a bit.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 03:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nitin77 wrote:
did you make the higher res quake 1 textures yourself?

They're made by Rygel for Quake 1 :)

Pat Howard wrote:
hey, looking good. scale seems perfect and the textures are being used well. if you add a bot file i will be able to test FFA gameplay more.

lighting is a bit dark for me, but i always prefer it bright.

i noticed you have a lot of horizontal trims, maybe you could work in some more vertical support beams to break up the walls a bit.

Thanks Pat, I'll see what I can do :)

I didn't bother with bots because I really only play Quake in 1v1 with my friend. I'll add support though.

I don't suppose you could give me some advice on how to do clusterportals and stuff? What things should I be doing to improve the vis?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 03:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that Quake 3 map? :) It looks nice, I love darker maps as it holds great amount of mystery in it. This one looks just a bit too dark on the screenshots, I'm not sure how it looks like live in the game, will try it later :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The whiteness of your web browsers background (if you clicked the images) can make the screenshots seem darker than they are.
Have a look in game and see what you think.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 04:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty big download. How much hunkmegs it requires? I'm pretty sure it's about to crash first time :smirk:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 04:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Pretty big download. How much hunkmegs it requires? I'm pretty sure it's about to crash first time :smirk:

72MB Download - including 55MB music file... :rolleyes:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 04:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear it opens door somewhere, but I can't figure out where :( I think it is supposed to be secret, but I do not know where to move and the door are open little time :(

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:

Yes, also it's not music, it's ambient sound of spaceship or what :olo: It has over 5 minutes...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:

I hear it opens door somewhere, but I can't figure out where :( I think it is supposed to be secret, but I do not know where to move and the door are open little time :(

Look around, you'll find it. There's a visual indicator that will give you a hint :) It's not really supposed to be a secret. I intend to add a Regeneration, which requires you to press the button to access, I just haven't gotten round to it yet.

sst13 wrote:
CZghost wrote:

I know, I know. I debated on weather to use to music file or not. I first tried making it an .ogg file (to use with ioquake3) but I couldn't get it to work. I figured most people are on pretty fast internet connections these days so a 72mb download shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it's an issue for too many people, then I'll remove it (unless I can get .ogg to work, its only 9mb)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndehX wrote:
Look around, you'll find it. There's a visual indicator that will give you a hint :) It's not really supposed to be a secret. I intend to add a Regeneration, which requires you to press the button to access, I just haven't gotten round to it yet.

Thank you, found it :) If it's not supposed to be secret, why the door are so good hidden? Regen would be great, or Quad :)

AndehX wrote:
I know, I know. I debated on weather to use to music file or not. I first tried making it an .ogg file (to use with ioquake3) but I couldn't get it to work. I figured most people are on pretty fast internet connections these days so a 72mb download shouldn't be too much of a problem. If it's an issue for too many people, then I'll remove it (unless I can get .ogg to work, its only 9mb)

I'm pretty sure it does not matter much, we use ADSL, but the map was downloaded in under minute...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
AndehX wrote:

Thank you, found it :) If it's not supposed to be secret, why the door are so good hidden? Regen would be great, or Quad :)

I suppose the way the door blends with the wall makes it pretty well hidden, but thats what the "visual indicator" is for :)

I might not get round to updating it with bots etc today as im going out for a friends birthday tonight, but It'll be done in a day or 2 :)

Any advice on item placement? Is it ok the way it is?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok I had some spare time this afternoon, so i've updated the map. Added clips and bot support

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's nice and I've seen the visual indicator. In the dark it's pretty hard to figure out as it's on the floor right next to the door :) If you add there Regen or Quad, it would be great :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd like to have the pit with the RA fill with lava when a button is pressed, how would I accomplish this?

Wait, nevermind. I worked it out :D I just made the lava work like a door. It works like a charm.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice one! :up:
I will play a few games with Bots later, im busy at the kitchen atm... :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndehX wrote:
I figured most people are on pretty fast internet connections these days so a 72mb download shouldn't be too much of a problem.

A fast connection doesn't matter if you download it from a Q3 server with 25kB/sec. :sly:

front end quality of a map =
    gameplay + ambient design (details, texturing, lighting & ambient sounds)

back end quality of a map =
    filesize + resources (RAM & CPU load for bots)

Always try to keep your PK3s as small as possible. For my taste a 10MB map is already a big one...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-25-2015 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Updated with lava trap :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 01:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The lava trap does not operate as lava at all. I think making it something else than worldspawn will destruct it's function as lava. So you made great visual effect, but it does nothing than impression... If you want to use it for kill, I am afraid you should have to make a mod. I might test it for you if it really depends on worldspawn, but I am a bit pessimist for that...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats weird, it works fine for me :confused:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 03:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you jump to the lava? I did and nothing happened. I'm not sure if it works when you make lava door, but if do, you should make the lava all long, wide as the entire room and tall as you want to have the lava filled (including the small initial area) and have all faces textured with the lava shader. Maybe it's not working when the lava door are moving, I don't know. I said I might have test it, I never seen that trap in any map...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it functions exactly how I want it to, even when moving. I never noticed any problems with it except that it makes the sound of a door opening when it moves...

Wait. launch using ioquake3, not the standard quake3.exe. I just tested it with quake3.exe and it doesn't work.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndehX wrote:
Yeah it functions exactly how I want it to, even when moving. I never noticed any problems with it except that it makes the sound of a door opening when it moves...

Strange... What engine do you use? IOquake3? I am using classic engine, maybe that's the problem. You should make map be playable exact for players with ioq3 and also classic engine. If something is missing in the engine (for example water/lava/slime function for nonworldspawn brushes), don't use it. I know it's a shame, but I said I am afraid that without changing game code it won't work properly... Also, the sound is hardcoded to the engine, replacing with muted sounds is not recommended, but there is trick how to get rid of it: make the trap also somewhere far of the map and link it together (make it one entity) - the sound will appear in void and that way it's muted. If you want to include some sound effects for the lava trap (such as moving up/down), you can use timers and anything else that allows some basic scripting :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Strange... What engine do you use? IOquake3? I am using classic engine, maybe that's the problem. You should make map be playable exact for players with ioq3 and also classic engine. If something is missing in the engine (for example water/lava/slime function for nonworldspawn brushes), don't use it. I know it's a shame, but I said I am afraid that without changing game code it won't work properly... Also, the sound is hardcoded to the engine, replacing with muted sounds is not recommended, but there is trick how to get rid of it: make the trap also somewhere far of the map and link it together (make it one entity) - the sound will appear in void and that way it's muted. If you want to include some sound effects for the lava trap (such as moving up/down), you can use timers and anything else that allows some basic scripting :)

Well, my motivation for making Quake 3 maps at this point in time is primarily for myself and my friend to duel on. I'm releasing it because others might find it fun to play on too, so I will most likely keep the trap (myself and my friend both use ioquake3, so its not a problem for us)
When the map is 100% complete, I will include a readme that states that the map requires ioquake3 to function properly. To be honest, I can't see any reason why anyone should be using the standard quake3.exe over ioquake3 anyway.

I had no idea ioquake3 actually fixed bugs in the way entities and worldspawn behaves, I thought it was just engine optimizations and updates to the opengl renderer.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IOquake3 has few flaws in console (for example you can't use numpad, but national keyboard is still working, so if you are in CZ, you have to use Shift key to type numbers). Also I noticed some performance issues last with IOquake3, in classic engine the same map works just fine (the map is JUL2c by julek). I am familiar with classic engine and never will use IOquake3 anymore.

If the map will require IOquake3 to play without flaws, then I might just accept it has flaws in original engine and just play as the trap was not included, nothing will happen, it's just addition, in case of original engione only visual...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
IOquake3 has few flaws in console (for example you can't use numpad, but national keyboard is still working, so if you are in CZ, you have to use Shift key to type numbers). Also I noticed some performance issues last with IOquake3, in classic engine the same map works just fine (the map is JUL2c by julek). I am familiar with classic engine and never will use IOquake3 anymore.

If the map will require IOquake3 to play without flaws, then I might just accept it has flaws in original engine and just play as the trap was not included, nothing will happen, it's just addition, in case of original engione only visual...

Well, I could always include a version of the map without the trap incase anyone wants to play it with the classic quake3.exe. AXDM1_classic.bsp or something.... I will definitely keep the trap in the original version of the map though.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We'll see... I could test it for you, make a box map with button and lava, compile and see what happens... If you want to try out switch the lava on/off, EntityPlus mod is for download somewhere (Eraser will tell you), there it is possible to make door operate like lava and also mute the sound of the door using silent sound file.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moving lava isn't possible with EntityPlus either. The moving lava in the example map doesn't hurt you either if you jump in it because it's a func_door. The hurting effect is actually tricked using a trigger_hurt which is removed when the lava starts moving.

Also, it's not a multiplayer mod.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I think at this point in time, the best solution is to simply use ioquake3 since it seems to work properly.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 07:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know which version of ioq3 do you use, but my version does not support func_door as lava. The same issue as with classic engine. Also the graphics are very dark in game with ioq3, brightness do not work... That's another reason to not use ioq3.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im usingthe latest test build
http://ioquake3.org/get-it/test-builds/

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay. It's couple of time I have that smuggy version of ioq3, maybe time to give a try to the newest one :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-26-2015 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, pretty fast Action in there!!!
Shotgun really plays great to me!
Elevator sound made me smile :)

Only thing i noticed was this:

Im always banging my Head against this trim. (Marked red)
I like it! (The Map- not banging my Head against Walls) :up: How long did it take you to brush out this one?
Weiter so! :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.