Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GtkRadiant and Quake Live, missing entities definitions info

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GtkRadiant and Quake Live, missing entities definitions info

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-16-2024 06:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I found something odd. Many entities definitions seem to lack a lot of info or their info is outdated and no longer accurate to what the game looks like currently. Can I find a new, better and more accurate entities.def file with the new entities definitions? I've also noticed some imparities with the decal textures for the weapons and items markers. And the team logo decals (in QL replaced with QL logo in team colors) shows up as a colored box in Radiant, so I don't know which way the decal is facing. You can make out the outline faintly if you view it from a distance, but it's impractical. Guess I'll have to work on fixing those issues before I can continue transferring and creating maps for Quake Live.

It makes troubleshooting and working with it exceptionally difficult. Opposing Teams is currently at a stage where the flags in CTF are not showing up, and the chat is constantly spammed with red and blue flag returning, with them nowhere to be found. That makes the game unplayable, since it relies on the flags to be in their defined positions. Not even moving the flags up by 8 points resolved this issue, and the flags are still not showing up. I can't even see them down below in the void. And strangely enough, entity inspector doesn't show flags tickboxes that you can tick to enable flags (like "suspended" for items up in the air). I'm not sure what to do at this point. GtkRadiant and RobotRenegade had up until this point the most recent changes, but since Quake Live went into Steam and transformed with the Bethesda acquisition, the level design just went dark. There is absolutely zero up to date official documentation and GtkRadiant has outdated definitions. Makes it extremely difficult to do stuff for QL, and frankly discourages people to do stuff for it. Bethesda also seems to have moved from QL completely, and focusing solely on Quake Champions, which is a closed source game that not only level design is open for everyone (and that would be really interesting to see community additions to it). QL still remained quite community driven even after Bethesda's acquisition and the fact there is a Steam Workshop active shows that at least originally, Bethesda was somewhat interested in letting the community to manage the additional content. But somehow this has become very difficult with some recent changes that essentially broke the compatibility, and pretty much every map had to be remade. But somehow the updates didn't manage to boil through to Radiant entities.def file, which still has the old informations that were valid when QL was still owned by then independent Id Software.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-16-2024 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please kid me with a post formatted like this...

What's the specific things you are looking for into QL? Isn't it more or less like Q3? Just make the level for Q3 and convert it?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-17-2024 01:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not that simple. There are some issues with CTF flags not spawning, some entities don't have any keys defined, and bounding boxes are extremely inconsistent. Plus it seems like the gametypes, despite them being correct according to the entities definitions, don't work in QL. Railgun spawns in a wrong place, Nailgun doesn't spawn at all, and there are many entities that appear to be missing. I'll post some screenshots.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-17-2024 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

According to the gametypes in QL: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =647715161

Other changes I noticed in QL: :up:
- worldspawn supports now an "author" key.
- some of the big Q3 textures that were tiled into smaller 256x256 textures are now in QL one big texture. (check for *_pot textures in QL)
- all pentagrams were changed into QL logos. (this can lead to mixed up combinations)
- jumppads, teleporter, decals, fire & lightbeams have now nopicmip in the shader.
- the Radiant gametypes are now "ffa duel race tdm ca ctf 1f har ft dom ad rr" (sperate with a space only)
- gametypes for the arena file are now: "ffa duel race tdm ca ctf oneflag har ft dom ad rr" (same as in Radiant except for "oneflag")
- new "not_gametype" key that works the opposite way.
- new universal ammo ("ammo_pack" in Radiant) http://sst13.net/pics/ql_global_ammo.jpg
- func_door supports custom sounds. ("startsound" and "endsound" key in Radiant)
- func_door supports stay_open (spawnflag 8), silver and gold key (spawnflag 16 & 32)
- new "item_key_silver", _gold & _master for the doors.
- levelshot size is now 1920x1080, levelshot/preview size 256x256 (anamorphic)

QL bugs: :cry:
- shaders with "clampmap" dont work correctly. check for black lines around the texture ingame.
- mipmap bug. you will see distorted textures in the distance when using odd texture sizes. fix: check all your texture sizes for powers of 2.
- lightgrid bug. you may encounter weird colors on your player-model when entering dark areas. fix: set "_mingridlight 10" or higher in the worldspawn.
- dynamic models are too bright. models using the "model2" key are rendered too bright.
- trigger_hurt repeating is way too fast. fix: set it to slow = "spawnflags 16" and adjust the dmg value.
- fog density bug. fog gets only rendered to a certain point in the distance. fix: make the fog less dense to shift this point further away.
- target_location marker are now VIS sensitive.
- target_speaker sounds are now VIS sensitive.
- door sound gets cut off when moving into structural brushes. fix: create a pocket for the door to move in.
- "notbot 1" flag in powerups donsn't work anymore.
- botroam doesn't work correctly. remove them.
- shader remapping doesn't work anymore.
- dynamic light from map entities doesn't work anymore.
- AD gametype ignores all gametype & not_gametype settings.
- "dompoint model error" if other dynamic models spawn in Dom. (model2 key)

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-17-2024 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't forget QL has ladders too.

Not sure what his issues are, it sounds more like something else. Like, why doesn't the flag spawn? That can't really be a QL bug?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-17-2024 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but in Radiant it looks like it's in the correct position, but for some reason fails to spawn in QL. I think there is something wrong in my map, but with the entities looking pretty okay in Radiant, it's hard to debug. The bounding boxes seem a bit weird, but none of the entities are clipping into solid geometry, so I'm really not sure what's going on. I'll send you the map file here, with the PK3 file containing the textures in it:

czqlp61ctf1.map[1.82 MB]
map-czqlp61ctf1.pk3[6.00 MB]

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-17-2024 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Overload is no longer available in QL? Oh man, my favourite.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I tried to fix the issues. Flags are now showing up, but all weapons are for some reason missing, see below.

Red flag in CTF

Blue flag in CTF

White flag in 1F

Red capture point in 1F (shows Harvester capture point model instead of a flag)

Blue capture point in 1F (same situation)

For some reason all weapons and their ammo boxes are missing. Might be caused by spawning rules.

I'll do more testing to see what is going on. I have to fix an issue with invisible cursor first tho.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As for the missing texture, this is the missing texture:
base_wall/metalfloor_wall_10

This is how it looks like in Radiant:

That's because I've placed it into the textures directory inside baseq3 directory inside the Quake Live installation. It's not loaded by the game, it's only visible to the editor. Taken straight from Quake 3's pak0.pk3 file.

This is how it looks like in game:

Notice the texture is missing. I don't think this texture would be a part of a big texture compilation, solely because it is intended to be tiled in both horizontal and vertical directions. I simply think it has been pretty much just removed from the game for some reason. But I might investigate in the suggested texture file, thanks.

EDIT: So I couldn't find the texture anywhere. I'm thinking if I should include the texture (maybe place it into the custom textures directory), it's still technically speaking covered with copyright, so placing the texture in the included textures might be copyright infrindgement. I don't want to do that, but at the same time I find it quite hard to look for a replacement.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just do it, who cares about that copyright, it's an old game, both of them, who knows why that texture got removed, just replace it with something else or copy it from Q3.

I woulden't even ask or tell, not like anyone would know or find out anyway.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright, thanks :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-18-2024 09:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like "textures/sfx/metalfloor_wall_9b" but without a glowing shader I guess.
So you don't need to put the texture in your pk3. You just an "empty" shader redirecting the name of the texture.

Code:
textures/base_wall/metalfloor_wall_10
{
   qer_editorimage textures/sfx/metalfloor_wall_9b.tga
   {
      map $lightmap
      rgbGen identity
      tcGen lightmap
   }
   {
      map textures/sfx/metalfloor_wall_9b.tga
      blendfunc filter
      rgbGen identity
   }
}

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-19-2024 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait, it's supposed to be glowing? :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.