Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        In Search for Quake 4 Custom Maps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: In Search for Quake 4 Custom Maps

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-05-2015 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, I'm like super late to finally buying Q4..I finally got a pc that it'll run on o.O ..but I was wondering if you guys could point me out to some good custom maps that were made by all you guys, and other mappers. I found the ones at Filefront from guys like wvw, Stormshadow, Lukin, but there isn't more than like 70 of them for DM. I have over one-thousand and three-hundred Q3 maps, and it amazes me that there is hardly any available for Q4..not even singleplayer ones. Anyways..if you guys wanna put some up, I'd greatly appreciate it! :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-05-2015 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly, I think the reason there arn't as many Quake 4 maps is because Quake 4 is just an inferior game to Quake 3. Sure Quake 4 "looks" better, but thats really all it has going for it.
Better off sticking to Quake 3

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-05-2015 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't say I'm switching over .. I'm just looking for maps =) I play Q3A online every day...that'll never change.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 12:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually built an early beta Q4 map names AEtri (as in Tri Arena)... it was supposed to be a totally new map and it was... but I then wanted to test it against bots, so I worked on a Q3A version of it in parallel. The Q3A version ended up being AEdm7 ;)... if you are interested in that really old beta... for nostalgic reasons I should be able to upload it.

Just refound that old thread: Q4 - AEtri - Beta 1 - d/l

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The fileplanet link in that thread doesn't work .. yeah I wanna see it =D I actually remember that thread .. such a long time ago

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah... link is broken. Here the new mediafire one:

I just installed the map in my Quake4\q4base\ folder, and tried to load it from the menu (MP, create server), it crashes the game... I see a "Loading ... media" and then the game crashes. It's been a long time since I last looked into Q4... maybe you can get it to run on your install. This is under Q4 v1.4.2. And I think I never really ran the game under Win7 64bit...

It may have to to with the bot support... though I just deleted the
    Quake4\q4base\map_aetri_beta1.pk4\maps\mp\aetri_beta1.botaas32
and it still crashed on loading :(. No idea how to track crash logs and the like.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I put it into my sabot folder and started it up with si_map "mp/aetri_beta1" and spawnserver and it loaded up just fine .. bots work and everything. Very cool! I actually played your Reflex version against against a friend as well after you put that up .. three different versions now. =) You know I love the hell out of aedm7. Thanks for putting this up again.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am really glad it works for you... something must be messed up with my Q4 install... the map looked relatively interesting in this version... judging by the screenshot... been ages since I last tried it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a few back in the day.

Competitive Instinct

http://www.phantazm11.com/content/downloads/map_phantq4dm6.zip

The Chill Runs Deep

http://www.phantazm11.com/content/downloads/map_phantq4dm8.zip

Ghostport

http://www.phantazm11.com/content/downloads/phantq4dm3_remix_beta_1.zip

Flux

http://www.phantazm11.com/content/downloads/map_phantq4dm7.zip

Dark Ritual

http://www.phantazm11.com/content/downloads/map_phantq4dm4.zip

They are not competitive maps, but they are pretty fun in FFA.

Make sure you have the 1.4.2 point release which included winners of the Community Map Pack contest winners

I also started a SP map, which is technically still in beta, but is completely playable. It is the first two parts of what was going to be a trilogy, but I got into Quake 3 mapping again and never looked back:

Guridian

http://www.phantazm11.com/content/downloads/phantq4sp1_beta_2.zip

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow... really amazing stuff.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have 1.4.3 so I'm all good. I've had your dm3_remix, dm4, and dm6 for some time now, and I've played the dm3_remix to death actually..they're fun maps. Can't wait to see the others! I really like your phantq3dm6 that you did for that contest too btw...they should add it to the QL mappack.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 09:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

already went through it before I put up this post..but ty =)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-06-2015 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

love that Guridian shot.

i always thought walkways were beautiful but not practical for fighting and movement in Q3, but it looks like they work really well there.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-07-2015 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 05-08-2015 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phrantic actually came with the purchase of Q4 when I got it through Steam .. there's like an extra mappack in it that was made by a bunch of Q3 mappers from here.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-09-2015 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
phrantic actually came with the purchase of Q4 when I got it through Steam .. there's like an extra mappack in it that was made by a bunch of Q3 mappers from here.

Oops! :D I haven't run Q4 in a long time so I did not remember.
Method's maps are defenitely worth checking out though. There was another one he made for the community map pack I think? I can't remember the name though. It was a dark urban theme with bright glass brick.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-09-2015 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mash up streets or something? Can't believe I remember that name still. Didn't even play it..

https://www.google.no/search?q=mash+up+ ... B640%3B480

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-09-2015 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
Mash up streets or something? Can't believe I remember that name still. Didn't even play it..

https://www.google.no/search?q=mash+up+ ... B640%3B480

It's the one in the picture but the name isn't mash up streets - that's another map he made! It's "City Heat".

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-09-2015 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantazm11 wrote:

Competitive Instinct

One of my favorite Q4 maps to date! I think this is really the direction esports should go for.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-15-2015 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys :)

Quote:

Yeah, a couple of mine are in there. Caustic Burn and Systematic Lockdown. That was a fun contest!

cityy wrote:
phantazm11 wrote:

Competitive Instinct

One of my favorite Q4 maps to date! I think this is really the direction esports should go for.

:D I was tasked with coming up with a futuristic sports arena for the theme of this map. I was throwing around a few colosseum or modern arena ideas and it just wasn't working for Quake. After I started blocking it out, my wife and I were watching an X-games BMX race. That's where I got the idea for the "Pocket Spectator Rooms" theme. It fit Quake game play perfectly and was very easy to implement.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.