Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Need some Basic help/infos doing Textures

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Need some Basic help/infos doing Textures

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 04:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi
First off, im all new to this Texture stuff aswell to Photoshop. :)
I started to download Textures from CGT´s. Since i only have a free account im able to download the smallest Pics ONLY. :(
When i use them in Q3 they look very "muddy" Ingame, do i just have to download them in a better resolution?
They really looking not as good/bad as the STANDART-Textures...
After cutting them in shape i exported them to *.JPG in best Quality.
:confused:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

post a screenshot of what they look like in game, and post one of the actual textures, then I cna help you

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

THX!

Original Image:

Texture:

Screenshots:

I also made a rar file containing the 2 screenshots and the texture + the base image i made the texture from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/reitd9ak7miya ... r.rar?dl=0

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks about normal to me. Those textures are not very high res, so they wont look amazing in game.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, thx!
So im not doing anything wrong, its just the bad "base" material?!
Thinking about to get an account on CGT´s... 60Euro for one year seems alot of Money, but compared to searchin Houres and houres its a good deal.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...looks about "right".
Also: only use power of two texture dimensions. E.g: 1024x512; 512x512; 256x256; 64x128.
The dimensions of your texture are: 1024px × 419px

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Cool, thx!
So im not doing anything wrong, its just the bad "base" material?!
Thinking about to get an account on CGT´s... 60Euro for one year seems alot of Money, but compared to searchin Houres and houres its a good deal.

There are a lot of free textures and texture packs out there. If I were you, I'd create/finish a map first before putting down money on something you might not need for your first project just yet. Just let me know, if you need a pointer...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

theres plenty of free textures out there, you dont need to pay for them

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah youre right in one way...
My last map was a Scaling-Misfit... I just dont want do do the same work 2 times!
On my last map alot of the feedback was "Use Hi-Res Textures" So i decided to use Low-Res only for blocking-out/layouting.
And i think the better the "base-Material" / the better the result... :shrug:
Dont want to mix up 2-3 Texture sets... Also i want to do my own stuff to get more "flexible" in design.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong, i know there alot of excellent texture-packs out there. But i think its a good way to do some stuff on your own (at least for me, i just want to learn how to do that stuff). Look at Pat Howards new Beta release! Stuff like this is very helpful to keep Q3 "fresh & alive"
IMHO <3

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By default Q3 settings a 971x402 texture will be scaled down to 512x256! Clients can disable this with "r_roundImagesDown 0".
But not everyone knows this cvar. So as m4xpower already said, always use combinations of: 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm no texture artist, but IMO the main differences between textures and their source images are the textures are usually darker, lower contrast, and less saturated than the sources.

your texture in game looks a little too warm to me. i would remove some of that color by turning down the saturation. the shadows underneath the bricks also seem way too strong (you don't want them competing with your lightmap). this might not be something you can avoid and you might just have to try another source image, but you could try lowering the contrast to see if it helps. the white color of the plaster also looks too bright. i'd lower the brightness quite a bit until the texture starts to "blend in" with the other textures in game.

check out the texture work of established artists like hipshot, phantazm11, and sock for comparison. i bet you'll find that their textures are a lot more dark and desaturated than you would think.

looks like you have the basics figured out though. cgtextures really does make it easy to make new textures.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-23-2015 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst, thanks for new cvar :D

You can download textures from cgt for free, but after you register. I am registered and there are really heaps of free textures, you really do not need premium subsciption. I search there resources for my experimental project - porting reallife location - our garden - to Quake 3. I know it won't work for proffesional gameplay, but to see how far the engine actualy can go it is just great. If you take Maxell's school map, this is the same thing, just in another place. I don't want to waste my camera batteries for textures I can download or make myself using Photoshop. Also I will need to make heaps of models as there are number of details in the real world. Models need to be textured, too. Model texture needs to be aligned properly so making model texture has pretty different rules to stick on. You can use resources, but you need always edit them in Photoshop to reflect model's UV mapping (which needs heaps of edits, too). For example, you make model of car - you need to unwrap the model's wireframe texturing usage just as you would unwrap paper model of a car to draw the car features - front, back and side windows, doors, etc... I think making proper UV map and its texture representation for model is a run on long distance and needs a lot of experimenting...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-12-2015 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your texture dimensions are 971px × 402px. GPU memory will generally only accept texture pages in power-of-2 dimensions. So you'll have to somehow rescale that texture to 1024x512 or similar. Otherwise, it gets downsampled to fit the next smallest power-of-2 value, in your case 512x256, which is probably why it looks considerably worse than expected.

(Edit: I should learn to read.)

Also, your texture does not tile on either axes. That certainly limits its usability except with very specific wall sizes.

When working on themes, I start with various base textures. I will make a brick texture. Then I will make a concrete texture. For textures like the above, I'll take my brick texture and blend the concrete texture over it masking out the chipped sections and painting in shadows and details.

The result of this work is that the textures will be cohesive. I can build certain walls with just bricks, or just concrete, or my grungy mixed texture, or blend textures together with a alphaMod shader. I can do this without a mishmash of different brick styles.

Another technique I do is to desaturate source textures entirely. Then pick a colour palette. Then paint the colours from your palette over top of the source texture, using a color, overlay, or other blend mode. If you do this with all of your textures, they'll come out with the same hues and look more cohesive as a texture pack and you won't end up with colours of slightly varying shades.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.