Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Bots acting like Idiots... What to do ???

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Bots acting like Idiots... What to do ???

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-12-2015 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey! :)

Today i saw a group of 4 bots fighting each other in a mob-orgy. Then the mob went on a jumppad at the same time! :D
They sticked together like they would touch each other! :D Also they cannot do the easiest jumps.
What to do? Can i train them or give them advice to jump?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-12-2015 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We need videos, would be comical to watch! :)

Bot behaviour is based on their individually characterized fuzzy logic and their preference to pick up specific items. Your only real control over them is in placing items throughout the map which will attract them to roam different parts of the map. If you have generally good item placement, they should already behave reasonably well.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-12-2015 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. use fixAAS
2. botclip all stairs
3. put bot roams over all armors

that's all i do for mine.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-13-2015 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 11:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I meant to post this a couple of days ago.
Bot navigation is a not very well covered topic. Cardigan wrote an article on it, I expanded on it.
TBH Pat, if you are just bot clipping stairs there is no need to run -fixaas. Normally you would do that to simplify something extremely complex. You may have been joking, I'm not sure :)
More often than not really stupid bot behaviour is caused by tiny clusters. Stuff like running up to Red Armour, then turning away and running in the opposite direction.
An ideal map for bots is a map that is a single cluster. In such a map bots can see everything, all the time. The problem in large maps though can be 'bot stutter', were performance takes a hit, in much the same way as a map with poor vis control.
The best answer is to use cluster portals to control cluster creation, but this takes time to master, and also doesn't prevent the creation of tiny clusters that screw up navigation.
I used to spend a lot of time finding these little blighters and getting rid of them. There were a number of approaches I used. A targeted entity that exists in 2 clusters will merge clusters, as will a series of complex cluster portals. The latter is a bit of a hack, but works well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.