Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        lightfilter & rtlights

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: lightfilter & rtlights

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a stained glass window properly coloring light that passes through it via lightfilter. However, the window is destructible, so I need away to remove the colored light once the glass has been destroyed. Is there already a way in q3map2 to specify a shader to be only affected by rtlights?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-05-2015 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shader swapping can be triggered yes. I think you would need to 'fake' the coloured lightmap with a decal though...I'm hoping someone will tell you I'm wrong, but that's the way I'd approach it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You cooulld isolate the lightmap on its page, find the shader (using external lightmaps), and use shaders triggering. In theory it's simple, but when you get complex maps it becomes a really big pain. There may be a way to make the surface(s) it's projecting on have their own lightmap page (using a different resolution lightmap is one way), which would make it easier.

I'm pretty sure using a decal would be way easier though :D

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Triggerable shaders always end up a bit wonky in my experience.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theyve worked great for me, but something like this would take some fiddling to get it right.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-06-2015 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, interesting idea using a decal.

I should've mentioned, this is in Darkplaces. At the moment, it only supports single stage shaders... which rules out triggerable shaders :/. I was thinking maybe trying FBSP for the lightmap lightstyles, but it doesn't support that either. The solution I'm going to try currently is rtlights with cubemaps projecting the colored light/pattern.

Another bridge I'm going to have to cross in the future is a triggerable, play once animap. This way one could give the appearance of things 'powering up' in stead of toggling between only two states. I'm not sure if this is currently possible with Q3 shaders, regardless of engine.

Thanks for the ideas!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-07-2015 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure, but I think animated shaders use a global tiimer sort-of, in that if you trigger them at a random time during the level they may start playing somewhere in the middle of their animation. I could be wrong though, and they might always start at the very beginning. It feels like it was that way in moteof...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-07-2015 10:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah KittenIgnition is right.

I tried to turn bodies of dead bots transparent with a shader in EntityPlus, but it wouldn't work because the shader would start somewhere in a random progress point of the transition.

The alternative was to sink the bodies into the floor after some time so I did that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.