Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        scdm3 [alpha] by Scorch_

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: scdm3 [alpha] by Scorch_

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K, I finally tested it properly on my PC. The only errors I'm getting are the teleporter and the missing sky. Adding textures/skies/meth_clouds.jpg fixed the sky, and deleting all instances of novlcollapse in sfx.shader worked (obviously you only need to remove the one in the shader you're using). The weapon markers work, as do the bounce pads.

This means there's some sort of conflict or issue on your end, and it might be due to the names of the shaders. I recommend taking out only the ones you need, and making a completely new shader file containing just the ones you use. It's never a good idea to overwrite baseq3 shaders, under any circumstance (related to level design, at least).

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There were level packer tools out there, IIRC they also put together a comprehensive shader for that map... i.e. ignoring default id shaders and putting only those into the file that the .map file references. Been very long since I used such a tool though.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AEon wrote:
There were level packer tools out there, IIRC they also put together a comprehensive shader for that map... i.e. ignoring default id shaders and putting only those into the file that the .map file references. Been very long since I used such a tool though.

There were and there are, im using the one included in Q3MAP2TOOLZ.
But i dont have any knowledge about its Shader-functions / and / or shader related stuff at all.
For me this tool does a pretty good job!

EDIT: I took a look at the generated .shader file from that tool and its a total chaos. :eek:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been such a long time using that tool for me, since I tend to experiment in the main shader file of the respective map, and also add a lot of comments... I seem to recall that comments don't survive... other than that... I'd expect the shaders in the resulting new file to be alphabetically ordered... maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Not sure what choas is for you... fixing the order of the shaders to your liking should be a quick job, and then you know what shaders the map needs for sure. Note... I do this only once... and then never again, i.e. updating the map's shader file manually from then on.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think my problem is that im not "that" into shaders.
Looking at that files can be scary to people with absolutely no programming and scripting background like me.
I really have to play around with shaders alot more.
Playing around = learning ;)
:clownboat:

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Technically I am a programmer, and still have problems with shaders... oh the irony of it all ;)... though a bit of source formatting/arranging should be doable.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-05-2015 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I went ahead and did a fresh install of quake 3 and I was able to find the errors KittenIgnition mentioned, so all textures should be working on the map now. Not sure what happened to my other install but from now on I will be doing testing in the clean install, thanks everyone for all the help!

AndyW wrote:
GOOD NEWS MAN!
I was able to fix it, now you have Bot-support Sir! :rtcw:
I dont know what caused the error so i started deleting stuff, lights, some items, lava and Voila- it worked. Some items were stuck into walls. I deleted the teleporter-links. You have to rebuild some small things that i killed but i did only some changes to the Jumper and deleted some curves and seald up stuff... And removed the box :)
I also removed the sky-texture for testing, here you go! :)

I'm still having some issues with bot support, I tried sliming a lot of the non-visible brushes down, doing a brush cleanup, removing the curves, adding bot clips to stairs and the bars, pretty much everything you did in the file you sent me aside from removing the lava and bars but I still get the "Tried parent" error. So I'm kinda stumped, I'm not sure why the lava would cause the error I could maybe understand the bars but I put a bot clip on both of them and still got the same result.

Download

Also on a slightly unrelated note does anyone know how to get bot support for a map in quakelive? The only thing I was able to find on it was a script cityy posted on the quakelive forums but I couldn't seem to get it to work.
Code:
<path to bspc.exe> -bsp2aas <path to your compiled map.bsp> -forcesidesvisible -optimize

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-05-2015 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The last things i deleted was Lava stuff and some Lights -then it worked :shrug:
Hmm.. If you want PM Map again, I will try to fix the Error without the big chaos i caused last time :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-06-2015 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
The last things i deleted was Lava stuff and some Lights -then it worked :shrug:
Hmm.. If you want PM Map again, I will try to fix the Error without the big chaos i caused last time :)

Heres the .map file, I didn't delete the lava when trying to get bots working as that being the issue didn't really make sense since its not something thats able to be reached.

.map Download

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-06-2015 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey i finally found whats causing this AAS Error. You had 3 Lava Blocks sticking into geometry. I just removed this 3 Blocks and "Voilà" it worked fine.

Just put the lava and surrounding walls down some units so that you have some more space.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-15-2016 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use 2.1i. It can build the AAS of your map, due to it having FAR less "tried parent" errors, and the map limitations are increased, that's why I switched to it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2016 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:

Is that a misaligned texture right there under the yellow armor?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.