Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Modelling cars - Chevrolet Camaro 2010

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Modelling cars - Chevrolet Camaro 2010

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-11-2015 04:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello there. Trying out something new I decided to make some car model starting with model of Chevrolet Camaro 2010.

Following a two-part tutorial I end up with this geometry. Basicaly I downloaded untextured geometry and modified it to look more real (added backlook mirrors and modified a bit of body in places). Then unwrapped UV mapping to something recognisable and now I am making texture for it. You can see it isn't done yet, but basicaly it has the shape of the car. As you can see, it has a czech plate of city Prague. It is a bit smaller as it is painted on the geometry and first it was unrealisticaly distorted. I had to shrink also the other plate located on the back, though it wasn't such distorted as the front one.

After finish, I would like to make it available for download, with source PSD file for Photoshop users to make their own texture, source BLEND file for Blender users (which is also the app I used to make this model), resulting MD3 for use in game and of course resulting texture of the car. But say, do you wanna that model be published? It will be in the standard jacket (yellow with black stripes), maybe I will make more color variation, but this one will be default. It will be provided through Dropbox Shared folder, then probably will be moved to my sites and download link updated.

It is my first game model that will be ready to use for everyone in any map for any id Tech (up to idt 3) related game. That includes of course Quake 3, so if anybody will want to experiment, the model is free to use :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-11-2015 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey that doesn't look bad at all :up:
keep it up!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-11-2015 07:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-12-2015 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One little question: Radiant supports .obj model format - which Blender is able to export. But how to modify texture path to be correct? There is mtllib with material file link (.mtl), but I need to specify the texture itself directly in the correct form in order to load model in Radiant. I have to make an ASE anyway in correct scale, so I might edit material texture in the ASE file...

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-12-2015 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 08-12-2015 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just delete the mtllib and the reference line in the obj, then find the usemtl line and set that to your shader name (textures/kitteh/cartexture).

Almost all my work is with obj format ATM :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-12-2015 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like I will play with the scale a bit. Anyway, I already converted imported OBJ model to MD3 with MilkShape. For new models I will always use Blender, for prepare them to game I use MilkShape :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-17-2016 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey.

Do you still have the camaro model? I would like to use it in Q3Rally.

Regards

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 04:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Perle: Yes, it still sits on my hard drive :) I need to make shader to make the glass actually glossy :) If you are interested in the importing model into Q3Rally, I'd give you source blender file instead so you can edit the mesh to make interior :) Good would be to make wheels turnable (both the four wheels on the floor and the turning wheel in the cabin) :) And the lights would be great to make turnable on/off independently like on the real car :)

I made the model to be used as a map object (decoration model), it was not designed to be used for a player model. So this is why it has no interior and the lights are always on :)

Anyway, the model holds Transformers logo on the doors, I just wanted to implement this model into an experimental "real-world" map with an easter egg reference to the Bumble Bee from Transformers :) So this is it :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So this is how the model looks like in Blender :) I used render function to generate this image :) I will test the model in the game using shader and will post in-game screenshots with the download soon :)

You can see the seams where the planes of the model were detached (mainly in the race stripes). This is due to the Photoshop's lack of 3D support and the hands being screwed up a little bit :) So I apollogize for this error :)

You can see the Transformers logo on the door :) It's a reference to Bumble Bee from Transformers :)

Last edited by AEon on 06-08-2016 01:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ted the image.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-08-2016 12:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the front-part & Grill looks very good for a lowpoly, nice job! :up:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-09-2016 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been extracted from actual photo of real Chevy Camaro, both the front and rear components :) I would say this model's texture is photo-realistic, but only the lights, the logo and the grills are actually photo-realistic. The plate is actually fake, I just made one myself. It's Prague plate. The contours, Windows and the backwards mirrors are made with draw tools in Photoshop :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-09-2016 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good job CZGhost. Glad to see you're capable of actually finishing something :p

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-18-2016 02:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just have a trouble. I wrote a shader for the Camaro model (it should have glowing lights and shiny windows), but it seems that the shader is not working properly :( I just found the trouble - it's a misstype in the materials :D

I set up the shader file to the shaderlist.txt (it's named czyard_models as the model is planned to be used as a decoration to an experimental real-world map, which I am gathering photo materials for).

The shader reads as follows:
Code:
models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final
{
   q3map_lightimage models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final_light.tga
   {
      map models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final.tga
      rgbGen identity
   }
   {
      map models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/glass.tga
      rgbGen identity
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
      tcGen environment
   }
   {
      map models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final.tga
      rgbGen identity
      blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
   }
   {
      map $lightmap
      blendFunc GL_ZERO GL_SRC_COLOR
      tcGen lightmap
   }
   {
      map models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final_light.tga
      blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
   }
}

But instead of models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final.tga in the model file there is models/mapobjects/czghost/czyard/vehicles/camaro/camaro_final.tg (without the actual a in the TGA extension).

So the model actually does not point to the shader file (which is always mouted to the TGA or JPG extension), but to some invalid texture with the extension TG, which even does not exist :D

So, I just need to repair this. Unforunately the model for texting is not ASE, it's MD3, but I have source MilkShape 3D file
(MS3D), which I can export from :) I also have QC file (Quake Control), which includes these informations for the export, so I can just correct that misstype :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-18-2016 03:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I will need to export the model as ASE from Blender :( QC file has correct extension typed in, but MD3 keeps up the corrupted extension and I discovered corrupted faces in the model :( It's a shame :(

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-19-2016 05:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello there. I finally made the ASE model, but it keeps crashing my Radiant :( I don't know what's wrong :(

I exported the ASE model direcly from Blender (just installed addon to be able to do this). The export script is written in Python and reads as follows: http://code.google.com/p/ase-export-vmc ... ASE250.zip

Blender is version 2.73a.

I hid the Blender and ASE files in attached ZIP file (unfortunately forums do not support .blend extension). ZIP file was created by 7zip with Ultra Compression by Deflate64 method to achieve smaller size. No textures were added...

I hope this will help you to say what's wrong :(

Attachments:
File comment: Camaro Model Files (no textures)
camaro_blender_debug.zip [251.18 KB]
Downloaded 528 times

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-19-2016 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-19-2016 09:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for site suggetion :) Added to bookmarks :)

The issue is being solved also there. It's a site with Blender tutorials suitable for game engines like idTech, Unreal Tournament and similar... This is forum topic with the Radiant crashing thing.

Why the hell does it keep doing such thing? :( I tried to remove duplicates, tried to actually add smoothing groups, tried to flip normals to look outside of the mesh, but nothing helped :(

Attachments:
File comment: Blender and exported ASE file for issue report
Camaro.zip [194.92 KB]
Downloaded 558 times

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-19-2016 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can pack image into blend file!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That would increase file size above maximum limit :(

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 12:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its gotta be smaller than 30 mb

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally got it to the Radiant, but q3map2 now doesn't like it :( I can't release this buggy model that makes the compiler crash :(

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only way to fix it may be to give it to us..

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay. Due to large size of the ZIP file I made it to the cloud service. You might want to change the language to English (use the flag).

https://uloz.to/xSv3TxAr/camaro-debug-zip
Password: camaro

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

try getting rid of ".tga" on MATERIAL_NAME and MAP_NAME

-edit also you dont need ".shader" in shaderlist.txt

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-20-2016 11:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It compiles okay now, but the texture is still missing :( Even when it's listed in the pk3 and the shader points to correct files :(

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 12:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

texture's are in wrong dir. as per the .shader
-also id scale it up 3X

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 12:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shaders point to correct filenames in correct path. Maybe too long path?

What does it mean ID scales it up 3x? Does it mean that UV coordinates are messed up so my texture won't show up correctly? Or what?

Also, I do not have the .shader in the shaderlist.txt. That's my fault that I included it in the shaderlist.snip.txt - forgot to erase the extension :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he probably means "I'd" instead of "id", meaning you should increase the size of the model by a factor 3.

It indeed does look a bit on the small side.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 01:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Model was scaled up by factor 3 while exporting from Blender. Still the same issue :( Missing texture :( As I said - might it be too long path?

//EDIT: I see it now:
GtkRadiant wrote:
Unable to read shaderfile czyard_models.shader

So there is some syntax error or the file is wrong format :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the console it should tell you what file it's looking for and can't find. Maybe that's a hint.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No missing file, only the failed read:
GtkRadiant Console wrote:
Unable to read shaderfile scripts/czyard_models.shader

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot had it right, if you're using a shader, you don't use .tga on the end of the material_name and map_name(s). I got it to work also by placing the textures in the baseq3/textures/ instead of /models, mabye that has something to do with it.

Example: For material name and map name, "textures/blabla/shader_name", if you want a texture and no shader, you need to do it with backslashes and with .tga, like "textures\blabla\texture_filename.tga"

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It works w/textures in models folder for me

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 02:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, you don't understand me. In Radiant everything shows up correctly, but the actual shader file could not be loaded in the Radiant. When map is compiled, the texture on the model appears missing (it's pure gray with white border around the texture boundaries)...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.