Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        RRCTF2 - Xtreme Force

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: RRCTF2 - Xtreme Force

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-19-2005 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firstly, WARNING for 56k users: ALOT of screenshots, 13 to be exact.
Hola people.
I know it's been a long time since I even brought this map up let alone post about betas here and what not. But rrctf2 is done, in final form, some changes were done to it from it's original final form to help ease the major d factor that was taking place in the flag rooms.
Differences:
    1. Added new routes along sides of central area to bases.
    2. Enlarged flag rooms a tad to accomodate for the new passages.
    3. Removed the 2 old entrances to flag room that were by the JP to lg room.
    4. Added 2 ra's and some shards.
    5. Fixed a visual issue where one could see into the lg room from flag room at the highest point you could go.
    6. Moved rg location to a new home in one of the new passages.
    7. Moved the 2 ya's to altered locations.

And for some obligatory screens:
Some of these screens are of the new areas without any "touch-ups".

And the link to the map: http://www.roughrider-maps.net/cgi-bin/ ... rrctf2.zip

Hope everybody enjoys the map, as much as I have enjoyed making it.

Last edited by roughrider on 05-24-2005 12:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 05-20-2005 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fastcap soon I think.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-20-2005 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-22-2005 06:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

decent...

although, in the main bases by the single higher jump pad I kept feeling there should be doors down there on the lower floor on either side...seems a bit closed in.

The straight-shot hallways leading directly to either base...not so sure thats a good idea...

and while in those hallways there are sections that are unmarked to let your teammates know where you are...if you needed help in those areas there would be no way to let anyone know which side you were on or if you were near red or blue bases.

[edit]

after playing through the map for a while longer:

I dont know if its just my video or what, but the lighting is dark when r_gamma is at 1...putting it at 1.5 made the lighting perfect.

the main doors at the front of the bases need to be raised a bit...when strafing through there its too easy to get cought up...when you have the flag, thats a bad thing.

...and in that same area..the pad and walkway need to be brought toward the flag a little bit. makes rjing a little easier both ways because youll not have to go so far up and hit your head on the ceiling.

the straight-shot hallways are still a bad idea though...not forcing the flag carrier to go through the middle makes it too easy to lose them, and too easy to get a cap... and makes the game suck.

Last edited by Peloquin on 05-24-2005 08:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 05-22-2005 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a pretty solid CTF map and I have a good fast cap going except for one part. Whenever I start my rune I hit my head on the side beams of the arch in this shot:

[lvlshot]http://www.roughrider-maps.net/temp/rr23.jpg[/lvlshot]

The diagonal ones. Could you clip those back to make the hole a little bigger maybe?

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-24-2005 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lenard:
You must be talking about the opening above the jp, yes?
If that is the spot you are talking about, then here is what I have thought about for a long time in that location.
Originally, that arched hall/small passage wasn't clipped on the sides but now is. Also it was a tad smaller too. I toiled over this spot because on one hand, it does get annoying going thru there and would run into the sides and be stopped if you weren't taking the "right" path. But since then, I clipped the sides to make it to where you weren't getting stopped by those. But, I didn't clip the tops pieces or the angle pieces going to top. Part of the reason I did that, after long thought, was to make it more of a "skill" spot.
Let me enlighten it a little more.
If you are in lg room and take a very careful path, you can strafe to the top edge of jp location, and jump to the flag. The jump is hard to make if you aren't in the right "groove", hence it being a "skill" spot.
Thanks for checking it out Lenard.

Peloquin:
Quote:
the main doors at the front of the bases need to be raised a bit...when strafing through there its too easy to get cought up...when you have the flag, thats a bad thing.

Not sure what you are talking about there.
Quote:
although, in the main bases by the single higher jump pad I kept feeling there should be doors down there on the lower floor on either side...seems a bit closed in.

In the original there were doorways on both sides of jp, they were removed for this version.
Quote:
and while in those hallways there are sections that are unmarked

Yeah I realised that afterwards and unfortunately I wont be going in to change it now. I have dallied with it long enough.
Thanks for checking it out Peloquin.
:D

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 05-24-2005 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here is a really shitty fastcap(15.2):

[url]http://www.infosprite.com/members/Lenard/amap[fc.vq3.2]00.15.200(lENARDtHEpRETTY.THE-COMMUNIST-U-S-A-).dm_68[/url]

It is really shitty because I get hung up on the corners in the connecting corridors every time. Those are pretty annoying to a capper and I would say should be rounded somehow or something...

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Part of the reason why those are the way they are is to keep people from to fast of caps. It had occured to me that it would hinder a little progress on a fast run and some spots cause the fc to slow down a little to go around the corners. But that was the intention. As it is, you can get a really fast cap and I didn't want to make it any faster. I will have to run a time test so you can get a idea of how fast you can actually go. Of course, I am no expert at strafing, so I am sure that whatever time I post someone will be able to beat it :D .

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 05-25-2005 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you watch it??

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-26-2005 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes I did, but you can get even faster cap going the side route.
The route you took was my favorite until I added the sides in.
And coming from lg room to jp, where you are rj'ing to flag, you can actually jump from top of jp spot to the flag. Is a little tricky, but if hit right, can be accomplished.

And yeah I know about those corner pieces. See previous post above for my answer to those ;)

On a side note, even though you were hitting those corners and getting stopped, you can still go that route and not even touch those. Instead of going to the right of the center piece (where quad/regen spawn) go to the left side. It all together helps and you will be able to go up on the trim along the wall in that passage and can round those corners really easy.
Will make a short demo to show you what I mean about the corners and going to the left of center.
EDIT: demo

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 05-26-2005 06:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alright i guess i gotta fastcap this one too :icon32:

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-26-2005 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bacon wrote:
alright i guess i gotta fastcap this one too :icon32:

:D

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 06-06-2005 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anybody else?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.