Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Life Giver - BETA - UPDATE 1 (v0.0.2)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Life Giver - BETA - UPDATE 1 (v0.0.2)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-13-2015 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UPDATE edit:

Download link is the same: http://lvlworld.com/lvl/tig_alpha.zip and the map file name is also still "rough". Bots are supported.

* New area
* More space on ledges (may still need more)
* Includes a Quad, may change to Medikit
* Power-up removed when heading to "star" (if active)
* Alien block is now all black

I also tried way too many other things to list, including a "black and white only" texture theme which was kind of cool but not this map. The "black" was really "charcoal" in colour to show shadows correctly.

Currently lacks any kind of finish and almost all the clipping is still missing.

Original Post:

A little map that needs some feedback.

The map is very rough and is mostly in a "blocked" state. There are some areas where aesthetics, lighting, textures are being tested.

There is bot support, but not menu support - load from the console for now.

There is almost no clipping! You will get stuck on the walls.

The file name (for loading in the console) is "rough" - just like the state of the map :]

Grab it from here: http://lvlworld.com/lvl/tig_alpha.zip

All feedback is welcome, however I am currently focusing on layout, gameplay first and foremost.

Last edited by Tigger on 10-17-2015 08:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-13-2015 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Neat a new map...

• One of the spawns has a RL right in front of it... that is slightly strange. Or was that for testing? I'd suggest moving the spawn point or the RL. An RL and PG in such close proximity also seems a but strange. Location of the RG is good.
  • Even though creative, that rotating light near the RL is really annoying due to the flicker IMO... I'd suggest toning it down. Or make it rotate more slowly.
  • Since this is an early version, you might want to work on the step heights, they seem to be 16u in some areas... that always looks strange when you run into them head on. Might like to add additional in-between steps to get to 8u step height.
  • I have the feeling at least one other JP might help the map, and - dare I say it - one TP.
  • Many of your ledges are not very wide, e.g. to get to the RA... I am not sure you have the space, but making them wider would be helpful for navigation. Clipping some things may help... but more space is even better.
  • Your central lava JP could use some form of wind/fog effect that is hurtled upwards, to make clear that this pit is actually a JP and not a death trap. A grate over the lava pit might be a good thing too.
  • I get snagged a lot... and IMO its not due to the lack of clipping, the paths are very narrow in many places, e.g. to get to the RG you bump into several corners to get to it (not from the bridge above path).

The suggestion that might help you the most at the moment would be for you to run about in your map a lot more... identify what paths you would like to use and then ensure you can traverse those paths without getting snagged. Also there is a lot of stairs/steps/stones that lead to something e.g. the RA or the upper RL... but these paths dead end. You may be missing opportunities for continuing gameplay paths here. I'd say that pathing should still be the main focus.

I like the sunflower-like ring around your JP though :).

Hope that makes sense and helps slightly.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-13-2015 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very promising map in my opinion.
A bit small and dark for my taste. You'd miss the powerups and holdbales.(Deliberately?)
Are you planning to add more areas and items?

I like the "flying into a star" teleport. :up:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great! Thanks people. I'll see what I can come up with.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just DO IT! Nothing is impossible! Don't let your dreams be dreams! :up: :up: :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really cool 1!
I like the design of the Main-Arena, also the "dropdown-effect"
Make that invisible JP visible :D
I also like that "blocked" look, maybe some hallways need a bit more space to move.
Add some platforms in the outside areas?

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-17-2015 03:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tigger puts up a map! :ducky: It's about time. I ran around in it, and it's a nice start.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-17-2015 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel like the scale of the whole map is too small, double it and it might feel better.

Apart from that i like where you're going with this one.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-18-2015 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Be sure to check for texture bugs. This face has visible caulk!

The same applies here. This rotating square is entirely bad rendered (it had to be mirror?) I'd suggest you to not use mirror but instead some glossy shader that would make illusion of highly glossy surface like mirror is...

Right next to Railgun there is invinsible jumppad that sends player back to the playground and the very bottom that looks like void in space maps sends player to this strange place with that strange looking sun and then sends player back to the playground where the rotating mirror is. I feel like falling to death, but suddenly I survive!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Map looks very promising, I'm curious to test out the next versions in case you upload them for testing. Behold, there's one z-fighting brush on the floor brush that is beneath the red armor. Sorry for having no screenshot but it's easy to spot: just check the brush underneath the red armor for the brighter one and see where it connects to the wall.
Go tig go!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyway the map looks great, if I do not look to some of these minor bugs in your map. I can't wait for the final version how it would look like :)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-17-2015 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bump. Made an update.

Download link is the same: http://lvlworld.com/lvl/tig_alpha.zip and the map file name is also still "rough". Bots are supported.

* New area
* More space on ledges (may still need more)
* Includes a Quad, may change to Medikit
* Power-up removed when heading to "star" (if active)
* Alien block is now all black

I also tried way too many other things to list, including a "black and white only" texture theme which was kind of cool but not this map. The "black" was really "charcoal" in colour to show shadows correctly.

Currently lacks any kind of finish and almost all the clipping is still missing.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-18-2015 06:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Much better now :) The Quad is well hidden, but the ledge to reach it is too narrow. Be sure to extend the platform a bit. Why the LG is in the middle of the lava pool? There's no way to return without falling down in the lava pool (luckily there is God's hand bringing player back to the playground). The lava awakes me the feel I am falling to the death, it has no sense that there is some God's hand teleporting player back to the ground. You hate decreasing score? Blowing yourself up also decreases score, why not falling down from playground? There are invisible jumppads where RG sits. If they are necessary, make them visible (for example some energy hanging around pointing to the jumppad direction)... The map is beta now, don't be afraid of using custom assets, 90's are gone now ;)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-18-2015 06:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, my browser stopped responding :D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new area is more like visuals than playable areas. That's not what I expected. :rolleyes:

This is just layouts, or you planning to retexturing the map with some decorative extra detail brushes?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-19-2015 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map is almost all layout only. Some of the areas have some experimental visuals, but nothing is final until the layout and game play is sorted.

CZghost: At this stage (and it may change), the map is called "Life Giver", hence the "fall and live" effect. There will be a visual wind effect for the bounce pads. Unfortunately I can not replace the launch pad sound effect, so that will have to stay - unless I change the visuals and introduce something. The lightning gun is easy to pick-up and return from - at least for me :]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 12:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pathways are still too small to move fast but i like thie Idea youre going for!
About that GOD-HAND:
Maybe design the Outdoor-Areas something like this and make it a "Dig-Site" where Humans searched for an "holy Artifact" called LIFE GIVER. :idea:

Allahu akbar! :q3:
:)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there really NO WAY to change the trigger_push sound //or mute it in standart Q3 & QL? I never thought about that...
Mystery :!: :alert:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 06:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The default jumppad sound is related to the trigger_push entity, but not target_push entity, I think. If you use trigger_multiple, you can design your own jumppad sound without it being rushed by the default one. I think this is what you need: http://ws.q3df.org/level_design/sound_jumppad/

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aaww man THX!
The hell good boy!!! :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I think this is what you need: http://ws.q3df.org/level_design/sound_jumppad/

This works fine. I've done it the same way in "The Lost Yard" & "Ziggurat Tomb".
Only one thing that isn't mentioned in this tutorial: target_push requires also a sound that is missing in Q3. (like func_plat)
Please use this one: http://sst13.de/dev/windfly.wav and put it in your "sound/misc" folder. You also need to put this sound in your pk3.
The sound is taken from Q1, where the target_push entity came from...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 10:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So if I need to build my very own jumppad sound, I need to use windfly.wav instead and put the sound there or use silent windfly.wav and use own path in target_speaker to get it working properly? Or I just follow the tutorial? I tried something following the tutorial and it seemed working as described in the tutorial...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 11:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
So if I need to build my very own jumppad sound, I need to use windfly.wav instead and put the sound there or use silent windfly.wav and use own path in target_speaker to get it working properly? Or I just follow the tutorial? I tried something following the tutorial and it seemed working as described in the tutorial...

"windfly.wav" will be triggered automatically by target_push. (like trigger_push triggers the default jumppad sound)
Simply place a target_speaker parallel pointing to your own sound.

Do NOT modify "windfly.wav" in any way, just add it to prevent the "not found" beep sound. Windfly is not very loud, just a slight wind noise. So you probably won't hear it, if you use your own sound parallel.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-20-2015 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a trick where if you wanted to change the sound of a func_door, you could group another brush far away from the origin of the door (say, someplace outside of the map) with the func_door entity. Sounds are generated from near the origin of the entity, the added brush changes the origin to be someplace far away from the actual door. Because the new origin of the entity is now far away from the playable map, the sound plays someplace far away and you won't hear it. You can then target the door to a target_speaker to trigger a sound.

You could probably adapt the above to push entities as well.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-21-2015 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't find the quad!
Edit: I was searcing it for hours, then I put Biker on nightmare and he found in 15 seconds!!!! LOOOL

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-23-2015 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am looking forward for more updates. The map is still slightly silly. I liked the "heading into star" effect, but sometimes you need to be cruel when mapping. Not as much however to the point it is bad (e.g. a LG floating in the middle of lava). I also found a way of rocketjumping out of the LG pillar. Also read others' comments for more.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.