Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GTKRadiant is a piece of shit!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GTKRadiant is a piece of shit!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-12-2015 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mates, it's a cry of desperation. I almost finished a map and just decided to fix some textures. I saved the map. When I opened it again, ALL the textures got shifted. The same thing is for all my back-ups.
Another argument to return to a good old QERadiant which has less functions, but and less such bugs, too.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-12-2015 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I'm going to call bullshit and say that this is almost certainly user error. Anyway, can you not select everything and just shift the textures X number of units back. I think it would be incredibly unlikely that all the textures are shifted by different values.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-13-2015 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you check the autosave.map too (or the editors preferences)?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-13-2015 02:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I DID check it. I think it's because GTKRadiant demands to change project settings each time when I open a map or add new brushes.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-13-2015 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's worse than I could think! I remade the map and before I closed the editor it looked OK. But when I reopened it, most textures got shifted. I can't understand why?!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-13-2015 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you check them twice? :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-14-2015 03:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which version do you use? Radiant 1.4 did not ask user for saving unsaved map and quits immediately without actual saving the map. You have to save the map before exiting program. Since Radiant 1.5 and 1.6 it asks for saving when user tries to close app before saving, though... Also, Radiant 1.4 is outdated and obsolete version and should not be used, instead you should use 1.6, best the last version - 1.6.4. Be sure to check you save the map before quiting, whenever it asks or not. I never had any troubles with textures shifted experienced, that might be hardware error in the alternate version... Shift all textures back to your needs and SAVE the map - then try to restart Radiant and reopen the map. If the problem still appears, you might have something wrong with your configuration, which I can't help you eighter :disgust:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 02:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think its an good Idea to post all your System-specs! I never had an Error like this (using Radiant since Q3Radiant202).
Are you a Windows 7 user ? Try to install all the Stuff again! :confused:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-18-2015 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have GTKRadiant 1.6.4. It works wrongly with textures.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-18-2015 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows XP or Win 7?
Im using the same Version on a very bad Computer running XP and all works fine. I tested Windows 7 1 time and only had problems... I wasnt able even to compile a map so i went back to XP...
But this story not solve your problem!
Give us some more system-infos.
When did you installed Windows the last time?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 08:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm using Windows 7 SP1 32bit version running under Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and with Nvidia GeForce 9800 video card. Everything works nice...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 06-24-2015 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bugs in GTKRadiant 1.6.4: its Surface Inspector works wrongly with brush primitives format (or even in general). It recalculates somehow coordinates of textures, so they look to be shifted. It can be seen even after a simple "copy-paste" operation or such a chain of actions "open a map (modified in WordPad, for example)" >>> "save the map" >>> "re-open the map".
Thus, I had to use GTKRadiant 1.6.3, though it has other bugs: for example, I can't adjust layout, as the program crashes with error.
I doubt that OS does matter, as I have never met such problems with Q3Radiant 202 and these different versions of GTKRadiant have different bugs.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-25-2015 03:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 06-25-2015 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try turning "texturing compatable with Q3MAP2" in preferences under Other->BSP Monitoring

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Today I have again met this problem (see the screenshot hereinbelow):

The arrows indicate objects with the same coordinates. But GTKRadiant (both 1.6.3 and 1.6.4) shows them like this: on the left - entities, curves and patches; on the right - brushes. In the 3D window (camera view) everything looks OK.

So, what's this bug and how to fix it?

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One thing to try it save (possibly try to save it into another file), exit the map, exit Radiant, restart Radiant and then reload the map. I was thinking you might have "hidden" the objects via H-key. A map reload should fix that. Other than that... maybe you have the very same object placed on the very same place, e.g. two 5H on the very same spot... try to delete the objects in 3D view, and see if you accidentally have two object overlapping.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No. It's another case. Indeed everything is placed correctly, nothing is hidden. As I wrote, in 3D view everything looks OK. Moreover, when I change scale (with my mouse scroller), both parts overlap on each other in this XY-view.
See the screenshots: view changes when I change scale by one click of my mouse scroller.

Attachments:
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg [ 194.23 KB | Viewed 567 times ]
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg [ 222.45 KB | Viewed 538 times ]

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check your RAM, this is pretty much global graphics bug. What OS you use? If Windows 7, increase your RAM up to 3 GB (if not yet). Also updating your video card drivers would help a lot. I do video card drivers update always when asked for...

I bet you can't select these curves by pointing mouse right on it and Shift+LMB click on it. That's it was redered in place it was rendered before, but it's not on that place anymore, it's in new place, but that bug caused it remains rendered there... Try to fix that bug by increasing your RAM and/or updating video card drivers.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-24-2015 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have Win7 and 6Gb of RAM. I think that it's enough.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 02:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Win7 64bit? Because 32bit can't see more than 3 GB. Try then updating video card drivers (if you have nVidia video card, download nVidia GeForce Experience or something similar by nVidia, it's video card drivers manager which controls for 3D and other goodies ability and the most important thing: updates for your video card drivers)...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 02:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Of course, I have Win7-x64. I have never met this problem in Q3Radiant. So, I think that it's a bug of GTK Radiant.

And, please, stop talking about my hardware, OS and drivers. I feel skilled enough in this theme, thus I could manage this problem.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 02:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, no more ideas for you now...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 03:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If gtkradiant is bullshit, then how I made gusq3dm5, and more importantly, how would the other guy have made Life Giver?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 04:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why don't you try other versions of it? Like GTK1.4, or 1.5?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
If gtkradiant is bullshit, then how I made gusq3dm5, and more importantly, how would the other guy have made Life Giver?

As I see, you don't understand what I want to say. GTKRadiant is a powerful enough instrument to create maps, more powerful now than its predecessor - Q3Radiant, but the latter doesn't have so many bugs. There was some quality control (in releasing Q3Radiant) which was lost in releasing GTKRadiant. Each new release has some bugs. Yes, the program is developed under GPL and is free for users. But WTF!!! Have they ever tested it?!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Why don't you try other versions of it? Like GTK1.4, or 1.5?

Maybe, it has sense. But it was hard enough for me to pass from Q3Radiant to GTKRadiant 1.6.x (first of all, because of differences in their GUIs). I don't feel ready to learn other forks of GTKRadiant.
Moreover, I hope that anyone has met this problem, too, and is able to help me.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.4 and 1.6 are nearly the same, 1.5 is a bit wonky to be honest.

It could be 1.6 is messing for you, try 1.4 and see if that help, I can't help you other than that, I really don't understand what is happening. The only thing I know is that I've built many levels in 1.4 w/o having any issues whatsoever =/

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I tried to install GTKRadiant 1.4.0, it sent a message that project file is wrong and I had to substitute it or update the program. Another *.proj file didn't match. So, I had to uninstall it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 07:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh this sucks and end of discussion! GTKRadiant haters go to Hell! Maybe Doomguy is still there.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you tried a fresh installation of GTK Radiant 1.6.4? If not, try reinstalling the program to see if it will fix the issue. Otherwise, try a previous version to see if the issue remains.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
Oh this sucks and end of discussion! GTKRadiant haters go to Hell! Maybe Doomguy is still there.

It sounds so childish. How old are you, boy?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The same problem with another map.

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 233.16 KB | Viewed 549 times ]

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you try to load the maps in other editors like Quark?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 12:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 10-25-2015 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe a vid memory issue!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.