Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Gustavo's Maps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Gustavo's Maps

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-05-2015 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People gusq3ctf3 is updated!
https://mega.nz/#!0FRnWD4b!oDnWr91lhIGC ... DF3JhjAWSg
Featuring more ways of interbase locomotion!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's still not work with the original client (definitely a serious bug)
It's still has missing, or misplaced brushes.
I saw flickering textures around the map.

Also check your txt too.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It doesn't work in baseq3 because of the levelshot file format. Do not use the "progressive" flag while saving in JPG!

There are no benefits using this flag in Q3 (or other games).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fixed now. Using TGA levelshot instead.
Btw did you saw the gusq3ctf3 trailer in Youtube?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-06-2015 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

trailer

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-07-2015 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What should I put?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-11-2015 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you mean "What can I do to further enhance my map?" then there are a few general ideas I have in mind.

By watching the trailer, I see some rather large and open distances in the mid-section which would most likely lead into total railgun domination and camping - especially since you placed the railgun right next to the flags. I would suggest adding some 'cover' in this section to make the railgun a bit more bearable. I'm personally not liking the 45 degree slopes from the 2nd floor to the 3rd floor where the flag room is. To me, it feels like there is just not enough space (which comes down to the scale issue once again) to maneuver around the slopes. This also kind of acts as a really badly thought out choke point as it allows the defender to severely shut down the aggressor due to how it has been designed, with the aid of how the layout is set. I would much rather prefer a set of stairs, or to keep with the general theme, another set of jump pads.

The map would technically still be regarded as a 'boxed' map due to the square / rectangular nature in layout. While being 'boxed' is generally acceptable for space maps, you do want to try and avoid it with other types of maps, not that you technically can't create a 'boxed' map, keep in mind.

I apologize, I had the wrong definition of what a 'boxed' map is. A 'boxed' map is where you contain the entire level in a box which is very typical of space maps (It is generally accepted in space maps due to the fact that that's roughly the only way to make them. Look up q3dm17 as an example). If you placed a 'box' around your map to seal the map from the void of any potential leaks, you may want to think about going back and changing this. Because the map is so square / rectangular in nature, the gameplay (I assume) would be quite linear with essentially only a single path and would cease to excite quite fast. Might want to ponder how you can make gameplay more interesting.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2015 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am developing a Python script that creates PBM (Python BrushNap) files (basically Python-readable prefabs with extra data) from input functions so that other scripts may edit and manipulate the PBM files.
They store data like solidity, BSP order, brush flags, detail and much, much more.
PS: Spot the Error!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I gave up... of the map, maybe also of the plugin, to restore mapping for Doom and Unreal Tournament.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-19-2015 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
I gave up... of the map, maybe also of the plugin, to restore mapping for Doom and Unreal Tournament.

If you give up (permanently) so easily, you are never going to get the experience and achieve the satisfaction of finishing a WIP. I suggest making a single thread per map, that way you are going to get more in-depth feedback for improvements or changes. Also, it gets a bit messy and confusing when there's multiple maps being updated and commented on in a single thread. I find it works best to limit yourself to roughly one map per project for public review.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-23-2015 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Considering I am starting to consider returning to considerable Quake 3 mapping soon, because I was LOSERED in Doomworld. It's the equivalent to a tempban, but a little more permissive. (Correction> was just unlosered)

While that I learnt C++.

Anyway sorry if I am bumping this too old; but this thread is mine :P

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.