Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Gustavo's Maps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Gustavo's Maps

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 12:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought that announcing my maps in a topic for fixing CTF, AAS and music problems was too messy and became soon problematic.
So instead I decided to make a new thread dedicated to share my maps in general public.

To start, a tiny duel map I made for us is gusq3dm6:

The map is avaiable here. Extract to baseq3. ;)
Hey, don't forget to like and share the video!

Now I updated the OP to have v0.4.

Last edited by Gustavo6046 on 11-01-2015 04:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fixed my map here. Just to note.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-28-2015 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reminds me of test_bigbox.bsp from pak0.pk3

Quote:
I made it for fun in October 27, 2016

Guys, I found Dr.Who, nice to meet you.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 07:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It is actually 2015, sorry for misnaming the year. Lol
What is test_bigbox?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Launch Quake3, bring down console, type /map test_bigbox and see ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 08:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I updated the map. to correct the readme and add a secret to the map I won't tell!
https://mega.nz/#!NFgyFZaD!Mw3IaVGJ0tE0 ... cjd37UP3HI
CZghost wrote:
Launch Quake3, bring down console, type /map test_bigbox and see ;)

Tanks! :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The changelog of the map (CC-BY-NC):
Code:
v0.0 - Void
v0.1 - An cube, a bridge and two ramps, and a railgun camping surprise spot
v0.2 - The jump pad and red armor
v0.3 - Beta; amplified map, past the railgun a teleporter and a teleporter in another jumppad in the main room; a jump pad to a SNIPING spot in the main room; a secret was not yet discovered.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 12:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Making a map completely from void needs a lot of courage :olo:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But I did it! Did you check the latest version I uploaded?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 12:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mean the very first version. Just open new map with nohing and save - Void map is complete :olo:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There gusq3dm6 weren't even a thing. But anyway.
I did made an complete map, when little time ago (~2 days) it was just plain void.
I uploaded the first and second versions to ..::Lvl, will only upload 1.0 now.
I am open to suggestions and constructive criticism. Please help! (besides "nothing open the BFG door inside its chamber" which I'll fix)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 01:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't worry, I'll hook some time later :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you! Again the good boy saves the day!... or will?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 05:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any suggestions people? Anybody? Hello?
Nowadays people have avatars of some weird tiger... The Pooh Bear revenges!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your map is in point of fact a really tiny box map.
What would you expect?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And it looks really basic. Is this your first map? But with "gusq3dm6" meaning 6th DM map...?

Nevertheless, I'm always in stride for map creations by people that may not have that much experience in mapping.

Last edited by PaN61 on 10-30-2015 06:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, not in v0.3.
I am already almost finished v0.4, which adds a trap in the bfg room and freaking rail tower.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 08:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It also added sky! And texture fix! (I'm done with high res textures...) See it here!
It is my fourth released map and I already made a dozen of my maps, most are random tests that must be done in the engine.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-31-2015 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v0.2 somehow made it to the ..::Lvl map queue. I am planning to update it as v1.0 is the next version!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When it comes to updating the OP, I am a real dumbass. Just updated so it has v0.4 instead of v0.1.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 04:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PaN61 wrote:
Nevertheless, I'm always in stride for map creations by people that may not have that much experience in mapping.

A little self-reflection time on the newbie's end is very helpful though. Being humble and critical of your own work helps a lot not only in improving your work, but also in getting others along to help you. This guy here seems to think he's creating something that's hugely interesting to other people. If he's just a tad more humble in his approach and shows a willingness to listen to critique, no matter how harsh and do something with it to improve his work, then I'm sure he'll get much more valuable feedback.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What critique? I didn't saw much critique so far. My map is so ugly I could give up soon... I made a last attempt called gusq3ctf3, but the spawns are bugged for some reason... (people spawns at the wrong base)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
I made a last attempt called gusq3ctf3, but the spawns are bugged for some reason... (people spawns at the wrong base)

Use the team_CTF_blueplayer and team_CTF_redplayer entities for the initial spawn locations for blue and red team respectively. team_CTF_bluespawn and team_CTF_redspawn entities are then used to set the re-spawn locations for both teams.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-01-2015 03:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, but that didn't work very well.
Map file:
https://mega.nz/#!sUIwRYaY!Re8e6r764o2n ... OOD2VqZgcc

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-02-2015 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't understand why people call this a box map; it has some corridors and lots of acesses, and I liked a bit playing it for a 1v1. I don't feel like there's nothing left to add, change or remove 'till 1.0 so I'll consider v0.4 the final version. (edit: except maybe some patches? I'll update it.)
Also is gusq3ctf3 good? I'm not a very good critique.
Its map file is in above post.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-02-2015 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A "box" map is any map that has simple box-like layout. It's almost all rectangular and without details. And typically outside is placed one big box as some sort of environment (Hogwarts map seen in lvlworld is one of that box maps). And another typical flag of these maps is it's full-vis meaning there is no vis blocking, which renders entire map at once and causes a noticeable performance hit. However, not every box map is full-vis and not every box map is bad just because it's boxed. For example that Hogwarts map is one of best box maps, just as it is fan-made map and is designed for fun. You can easily recognise its parts with the movie ones... If it was much better done (remember, it is based off second Harry Potter movie, see the year in readme), with better graphics, it would be outstanding. It's for HP movie fans and even when its design isn't the better one, it's original and pretty funny to walk around...

Last edited by CZghost on 11-02-2015 08:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-02-2015 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But and the cave? I will add patches to curves later.

Also did you like gusq3ctf3? I am recompiling a version w/ patches this very moment.

Should I give up?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-03-2015 09:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe not. Here is gusq3ctf3 v0.2 and it looks fine to me. Maybe already in final version..?
After all,
"An work is perfect not when there is nothing to add, but when there is nothing to remove."
Links are cool!
EDIT: OH GOD I FORGOT THE ARENA FILE! DON'T DOWNLOAD!!!!!!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, here is its almost final version: (lacks some patch fixing)
Here!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a major issue with gusq3ctf3 of the fact that it crashes the game when trying to scroll through the 'skirmish' menu for the map. Fix any errors within the map and re-compile as the error message had something to do with 'at compile time' errors.

I've tried your gusq3dm6 map and I'm not really liking the scale of the map, it's a bit too small and at times hinders the flow. The ceiling in the main atrium is too low and doesn't feel natural. Due to the low ceiling height, it also hinders the functionality of the jump pads as you're hitting your head on the ceiling rather than having a smooth travel path. The placement of the target_position entity for the trigger_push of the jump pad launching you to the bridge-like walkway also needs adjusting as you hit the side of the wall obstructing movement. The horizontal bars traveling from pillar to pillar should be raised with the ceiling, they hinder flow and movement since you hit them full on when you try and jump on that walkway. Now with the teleporters... please... please go back and fix the direction and position of exit. The teleporter near the plasma gun forces you into the corner of the wall and doesn't make sense with the 90 degree exit angle. Place that teleporter in-line with the corridor so you feel like you are exiting that very own teleporter and move the position of exit roughly centered with it. However, going through this teleporter forces you back into the other one. Essentially you have the direction of this teleporters exit facing the other teleporter thus creating a loop.

That is it for the main issues I have just running through the map. Some slightly less major things I picked up on are as follows. You have Z-fighting located on the wall just under the corridor where the plasma gun is situated. You also have some Z-fighting on the floor in-line with the door. The small areas on both sides of the railgun location also serve no purpose and should be removed, as it's just empty space.

Also that red button next to one of the teleporters, I can't see what it actually does?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map won't run on the original Q3 client (I tried it on IOQuake), and I found some brushwork problems (like wrong positions or missing brushes).

My advice:

You have to give more focus on your brushwork and texturing, and also the map complexity / layout.. Your work is negligent and lazy.

I think you have to try Zdoom with DoomBuilder or Slade if you interested in map editing.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 09:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@PaN61, That is gusq3dm6, and these two small areas are camping spots to surprise someone stupid that tries to come down that corridor.
Also gusq3ctf3 is reuploaded fixed here. Maybe now you can \map gusq3ctf3 if something goes wrong, but it is now tested and umm, you may give feedback.

Anyway, really many thanks for help in gusq3dm6!
P.S. that red button triggers a secret door, find it by yourself before it closes -- or if you're lazy, open the included MAP file up in GtkRadiant!

@martinus, I also play it in ioquake3. What eyecandy I could make? I unfortunately can't think of much, but simplicity means better gameplay and less need to use botclip and playerclip... I mapped for Doom before being temp losered from Doomworld. Now I'm back but I am much careful so I don't update Devile II anymore.

Anyway, left this novel around, I am very happy to anounce the TRAILER!
...Once lazy Movie Maker finishes it.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gustavo6046 wrote:
What eyecandy I could make? I unfortunately can't think of much, but simplicity means better gameplay and less need to use botclip and playerclip..

I can't find the words to tell you how lazy are you. :olo: :olo: :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Gustavo:
Just Ignore Martinus, he seems like a guy without friends! :D
Get some more into mapdesign! I think you got the basics to handle the editor.
Study some maps to get a feeling for the scaling and layouts. Your Map is really small and not that playable, but its a good start in mapping!
My 2 Tipps:
Tipp1:
-Read Tutorials like: https://victorkarp.wordpress.com/quake- ... tutorials/
-http://de.ws.q3df.org/level_design/editors/

Tipp2:
Just ignore users like Martinus that just want to spam shit.. do your thing!
;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-05-2015 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry @AndyW, I don't speak German for these tuts. But I do speak Portuguese.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.