Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quake Live Steam aas

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Quake Live Steam aas

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-03-2016 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please stop converting other peoples work !!! Really really!!!
:!: :!: :!:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-14-2016 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooh thats soo nice, got the same problem right now... cant get aas to work even after fixaas & hexedit/rebspc... any ideas? Hipshot, may i send you my bsp and aas to take a look? This stuff is really making me sick :(

Last edited by AndyW on 01-16-2016 04:22 PM, edited 1 time in total.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-14-2016 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you try that new stuff that was posted, the edited bspc?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-14-2016 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, i tried that and Frankys tool too... I get this:
------------
BSPC version 2.1 j [hack], Dec 2 2015 01:17:27
optimize = true
reach: repentless.bsp to repentless.aas
ERROR: repentless.aas is not an AAS file
------------

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-16-2016 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay i solved the problem for me (this time), but im still not sure what caused it... I have the new BSPC and i followed all steps Hipshot wrote including compile in radiants x64 folder&hex-edit. In the end i get it to work with an mix of the Tool Francky posted and Hipshots Tips.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-16-2016 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GtkRadiant 1.6.5 beta has a new build of BSPC.exe. You might want to give it a whirl and see if it resolves your issues (might be a good idea to back up your map stuff first). Make sure you also install Visual C++ redistributables, (if you're on a 64-bit OS, you'll need to download/install both 32-and-64-bit files).

I haven't tested it myself yet.

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 01-17-2016 11:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I managed to get my map converted using v2 of the tool posted by Francky. The map worked with bots, the script also did the hex editing properly.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-19-2016 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, Im new here. I stumbled over this thread because i tried converting maps from ST Elite Force to quake live. Most of it works perfectly fine but bots are a problem. I tried using the first version of your converter (with the 5 steps) and it worked ... partially. I had bots in the map but they werent moving. They were just standing still and shooting at me while they occasionally jumped once or twice.
So I tried the second version but it just doesn't do anything? When i used the file my explorer crashed and restarted. It may well be that this happens because the original game is not quake3 but EF (although its basically the same game).

Ill just post two other problems in this thread that i encountered, its a little off topic and I just want to see if some of you guys might know a solution:
ladders in ef are called ladder and not ladderclip -> ladders dont work
Clan Arena and TDM dont work on some of the converted maps but FFA and CTF work perfectly fine.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-24-2016 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-26-2016 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes I already did read that. But believe me: You guys might be active and proud of your work (which you should be!!) but there are people out there who created a few maps that skyrocketed in popularity after they already disappeared from the scene. Im not talking about quake 3 here as the quake 3 mapping scene was crazy big. Im talking about Elite Force. Its impossible to contact those mappers as their e-mails and websites dont exist anymore. Hell there isnt even a source to download elite force maps anymore.
If the community doesnt preserve those maps they will be forgotten. You might see one side of the coin but you have to see the other one too. As long as i can get permission of the mappers I will. I already got permission from 3 people because I stayed in contact with them for years. I also want to convert my own maps and the maps that came with the game.
This is not about stealing anybodys work. I dont profit from this at all, I only put in hours (if not days) of work in figuring out how to convert those maps to a newer platform because i want those maps to stay alive.

I hope you can see where Im coming from. You are basically accusing me of stealing somebodys work and credit.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-26-2016 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have permission, that's fine. But it's not okay if they don't have a way to respond to your request. Furthermore, if those Elite Force maps contain textures that come stock with the game, those assets are still very much protected under Elite Force's copyright. You'll have to recreate them from scratch.

You have to realize that what we have is a pretty big problem within the Q3 mapping community recently where people are blatantly ripping off the works of even very active members and posting them without permission. Not saying this is you, but you can see how map conversions are starting to create a culture where this is starting to become "no big deal". That's one hell of a slippery slope and I would hope to steer the community away from that.

To at least partially answer your question, you should probably compile your AAS file with -optimize and -forcesidesvisible. Due to some Q3Map2 changes, that typically solves a lot of the bots-standing-still issues. Not sure about your other problems.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-27-2016 12:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can see the problem. I also saw the Turkey guy with his hundreds of converted maps where he just named them "CTF Map" and didnt credit anybody. I will carefully select which maps Im going to convert.

As for the original games' maps: The elite force source code was released years ago. People already created the stand alone RPGX-Mod which includes textures and assets from the original game. They also had help from some of the devs. I don't see any problem here.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-27-2016 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 has the game source code GPL'ed as well, but not the assets. I'm unaware of where Elite Force stands, but you might want to double check this to be on the safe side.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
I was actually just about to write in another thread how I did to solve the issue, it took me some time to get it working, but in the end it was really easy. I as well as you noted that the newer bspc won't spit out any aas on any map just like that.

First I fix the old aas like this, "q3map2.exe -fixaas rustgrad.bsp", I'm doing this with the newer compiler for QL, not the old one I compiled the level with from the start

Now, what happens is that the aas becomes corrupt, so open it with any hex editor and change the first set of numbers from 00 00 00 00 to 45 41 41 53

Then, run the newer bspc with these commands, "bspc.exe -optimize -reach rustgrad.aas"

I should also say that the aas for rustgrad and also solitude (which I'm working on porting right now), was compiled like this bspc.exe -bsp2aas m8/rustgrad.bsp -forcesidesvisible

Actually, Hipshot, optimize takes out a lot of the bot routing (at least in my testing), which means your bots may not be able to go everywhere in your map.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

coltonquake3 wrote:
Hipshot wrote:
I was actually just about to write in another thread how I did to solve the issue, it took me some time to get it working, but in the end it was really easy. I as well as you noted that the newer bspc won't spit out any aas on any map just like that.

First I fix the old aas like this, "q3map2.exe -fixaas rustgrad.bsp", I'm doing this with the newer compiler for QL, not the old one I compiled the level with from the start

Now, what happens is that the aas becomes corrupt, so open it with any hex editor and change the first set of numbers from 00 00 00 00 to 45 41 41 53

Then, run the newer bspc with these commands, "bspc.exe -optimize -reach rustgrad.aas"

I should also say that the aas for rustgrad and also solitude (which I'm working on porting right now), was compiled like this bspc.exe -bsp2aas m8/rustgrad.bsp -forcesidesvisible

Actually, Hipshot, optimize takes out a lot of the bot routing (at least in my testing), which means your bots may not be able to go everywhere in your map.

Did not know that, it's actually pretty difficult to know what the bots do and not hehe =) Even with if I let them play alone and me just speccing etc...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's proven... I did many hours of bot testing to prove it... See for yourself, ToKu. Try making a new botfile with -optimize & -forcesidesvisible, then try one with just -forcesidesvisible. You can see the difference after just a few minutes bot testing with both botfiles. I did this with 17t6remix, and whaddya know, my advice is proven. It works.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.