Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        TNUC [ALPHA] - Would Like Some Layout Feedback/Advice

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: TNUC [ALPHA] - Would Like Some Layout Feedback/Advice

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnuc.bsp (working title only) by BeWilderBeest

pre-alpha layout test

A medium-large ffa/tdm map based upon my old DM-Mordred map released in 2002 for Unreal. I wanted to start getting into QL mapping (yeah, I know), and figured the best way of learning Radiant was by recreating one of my old maps, preferably one with simple geometry (like this one).

The scale is slightly off, since it appears the QL player models are slightly smaller than in Unreal. In any case, I tried to match the scale of brushes 1:1 as they were in UnrealEd.

Looking purely for feedback in regards to playability in ffa/tdm. That said, there are no items placed (yet). The map is almost purely bare brushwork at the moment, with only minimal lighting and placeholder jumppads in their intended positions (all invisible :P). Playerstarts were added for testing with a few friends online.

DOWNLOAD PK3

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It says, wrong version.
I could not load it to Quake 3, and I don't have QL client. :(

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah ok. I'm using the paks from QL... will it work if I compile for q3a instead?

Edit: try the bsp

Sorry if there's any confusion. I'm still fairly new with idtech mapping. I really should break out my q3 cd and map with that, and then make a QL version from there.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey,

i did a check on your map in WolfCam10.3.
In Q3A 1.32 i get a [wrong version number (47 should be 46)]
I like the layout, but your map seems to be overscaled a little bit.

1st.
Dont build long Walls that thin, it will look strange and will have no support-function:

2nd.
You have some clipping Errors in your map:

Maybe apply some Jumppad textures and add a basic structure for the launch pads.

Some scaling Tips:
In Q3 jumppads are 128x128 units/in base... and stairs should be 8x16 units/per step. Hallways should be something between 128 to 192 in width. I use 128 units as "base-floor" and add 16 units trim per side... so i go with 160 units width for my hallways. ( NOW! I had alot of scaling problems in the beginning too ;) )

I hope this was usefull! :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes! Thank you!

Most of the hallways were made with a width of 256 units. But with the trim ideas I had in mind, that'll be reduced somewhat in the final version. At least that's the plan. Same goes for that wall. It's basically there just as a divider, and will probably be changed when I get to detailing.

Jumppads will be fixed eventually too.

And yeah, I've had lots of issues with clipping in that area. I'm not exactly sure what the cause is. Quake's BSP is a mystery to me at the moment :P

There was at least one other place where I could fall through the geometry, but that was gone with the last compile.

Is there a way I could scale down the whole map at once? Perhaps down to 75 percent? If not, it's no problem.

This map is basically me just learning radiant. I'd like to complete it, but it's not a big deal if I don't. It's not my best layout, either :P I'd rather learn the editor and engine first before applying my knowledge to something better :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2015 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool, some fresh blood :D
Are you Dutch, by the way? I am as well and there's quite a few other Dutch people posting at Q3W :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-26-2015 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Australian, but living in Norway :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2015 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah I see. I was thinking Dutch because "beest" is a Dutch word, but I just realized wildebeest is also the English name of an animal

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-26-2015 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep. Got the name from Monty Python (the confuse-a-cat sketch) :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.