Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        FortTown map (Need test)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: FortTown map (Need test)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everyone, here is my map for test:

Red territory

Blue territory

Crypt

I need it for test :
-performance
-gameplay
-texturing
-etc...

I'm also open for any good ideas and advices.
Please let me know them!

Download link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bma2cr88fthg ... n.zip?dl=0

I hope you'll enjoy it, and having fun with it.
Thank you.

Last edited by Martinus on 12-20-2015 06:12 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just two quick comments...
  • The blue outdoor roofs look nice, the red base ones could use slightly more saturation IMO though, i.e. making them more reddish.
  • I am not so sure about colouring the lighting indoors to make clear what base you are in. Even though it does make things *really* clear what base you are in presently, it also makes those places very washed out and monochrome... and kinda hard on the eyes IMO. I'd prefer colouring wooden beams, using flags and the like to denote the base than using the overall lighting for the base colour. Note: A few coloured lights is fine, but not the global in-base coloured lights.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What do you suggest about the indoor lightning? How should I "fix" it, if its really not that good?
Maybe decreasing the light intensity?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woooh, thats a BIG map,
nice Brushwork!
Im not a CTF Player but I like the layout. Some steps have Q2 size :/
Like AEon said: Try colors on wood, and maybe add some colored trims and Banners.
And the "catacombs" are like a "labyrinth" ATM.. Try some colored borders/trims/guidelines aswell!
I had some quick Ideas.. i will do some shots and explain tomorrow via pm ;)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid a bit.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-25-2015 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid a bit.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2015 02:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd tone down the indoor lighting a bit. Try making it a little less red/blue or dial down the intensity.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-26-2015 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I changed the red rooftiles colors deeper, and made the indoor areas more eye-friendly.
I do not want teamed wooden beams. There's should be another way to make more team colored the bases if it really that necessary.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-28-2015 01:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should I change on this map something else?
Do it worth for Quake Live?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-28-2015 08:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

new sounds: yes (from Return to Castle Wolfenstein)
Buddy, do you know RTCW stuff is also copyright protected? What would you do if Activision banned you for posting illegal stuff (meaning illegaly borrowed - stolen)? I think RTCW sounds are not free to use and plain credit in readme won't help to legalise its use in another project...

Anyway, your map looks cool :up: Gonna to test it :cool:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-28-2015 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If them really copyright protected, I can solve that.
Some other suggestions?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-28-2015 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know the exact sounds you use, since I have not yet played the level, but you might find some good ones at http://freesound.org/

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 11-29-2015 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you Hipshot, I thought about that too. I will replace them.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-29-2015 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So now that youre afraid of Feedback:
-Your Map looks amazing, change nothing and ignore all Ideas!
Everyone will love it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-01-2015 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map does feature some really nice architecture. Good scale, too, imo.
Did you plan it to be CTF in the first place?
I'm asking because I think this would probably make a better FFA map. Just open that gate between the bases and there you go.

Circular CTF maps are difficult. A somewhat good one is Public Execution.
Yours is assymetrical as well, which makes it hard to balance the flow and the items for the teams. And both that is where I'm afraid you failed.
The red team is in severe advantage, imo. OK, you tried to conter that by giving the blue team the Regen, but that approach is really unorthodox and won't appeal to classic CTF players, I think. And that tunnel.... Don't do that, just never totally bypass the middle courtyard. If I was a flagrunner, why should I use the upper route/s? Noone can shoot at me when I take the tunnel, except if he was coming from in front of me. Easy kill.

So, I would say, make up your mind. Make this an FFA or largeish duel map. Open the gate between the bases, get totally rid of the tunnel and implement some jumppads and/or new stairs to give access to the upper 3rd floor. And then redo your weapon placement according to the new situation.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-02-2015 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you Ferrao10 for your post.

I like the open gate idea for a FFA version of the map (without team colors).
I can add some stairs to reach easily the 3rd floor.
I have ideas to re-arrange the weapon placements (and some of the item placements too).
But I do not want to rid off the crypt. I think it's need for the 3rd way to get the flag. Without that, the map would be too simple in my opinion.
That could be easy way with bots maybe yeah. I had to think about that part of the map. But actually I don't have any idea what should I do with that (without deleting it)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 08:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update (see in the first post for download.)

Changes:
- more team colored bases.
- changed lights in the inside areas.
- item placement
- an open gate version of the map for tourney and ffa (with different item placement)

I hope you will like it. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.