Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Large maps & terrain questions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Large maps & terrain questions

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find examples of maps that are 16384*16384 and up?

Also, I'm looking for documentation on how to properly do terrain. Currently, I use just standard structural brushes. Aside from longer compile times, I've run into MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY when compiling. I'm not looking for info on terrain blending or lighting, just what the actual geometry should be made up of (bsp, ase, detail brushes+caulk, etc.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2015 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet some tutorials for Return to Castle Wolfenstein would help you out, but I've never mapped for that, so I'm only able to guess.

As for going above 16K*16K, i'm thinking that's an engine limitation....Obsidian would know for sure.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Terrain brushes must be detail brushes. Don't make them too complex because that causes very bad r_speeds.
Increase the _blocksize if its necessary for less compiling time and bsp size, but I do not recommend you to do this (as I said just if really necessary).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, thanks.

I did a test using detail brushes and caulk with good results. Really just wanted to make sure that using detail brushes is an acceptable way of going about it.

I'm leery of using .ase because it may be overkill for my needs and the drawback of not being able to change its geomrety on the fly in radiant is a big deal to me. This would be lessed by having a good workflow, but I don't have that yet.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KillPixel wrote:
Currently, I use just standard structural brushes.

You've hit MAX_MAP_VISIBILITY because there are so many brushes that -vis is trying to take into account for visibility calculations that it has exceeded its limit. Converting them to detail basically says, "ignore these brushes for visibility calculations". Terrain does terrible things to -vis.

Creating terrain has "evolved" quite a bit since id Software started making terrain maps for Team Arena. RTCW required quite a bit of terrain in their maps, Wolf:ET further added a bunch of stuff. Various features were added into the the compiler over the years to facilitate all of that, making the Team Arena heightmap generated metashader terrain method super obsolete.

Read the first 5 tutorials here:
http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles.htm

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-14-2015 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

informative tuts, thanks.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.