Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Blender 2.7.3 and ASE + MD3 export?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Blender 2.7.3 and ASE + MD3 export?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to install an ASE & MD3 export for my Blender installation, which is official 2.7.3 version. I already visited Kats-Bits, but there is an outdated version that the author says it's for B2.5.x and 2.6 - has anyone tested with this version of Blender? I need to make some rocky walls, that I found better to make in Blender and then export to ASE to integrate with map Schöna. Could be useful for next projects, though...

Also, is there any good advice to make the Blender grid matching the Radiant one? I read somewhere that Blender grid is about a half size than Quake 3 one. But when made the Camaro model and exported to MD3 with MilkShape 3D (Blender can export to OBJ natively only), it was about a size of rat in Radiant, so I had to enlarge it to be averagely the real size compared to the player...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know... you could have asked this on KatsBits :p

The should both work, I've not extensively tested them in 2.76 though (using both in 2.70 ATM because that's got a working *.map exporter).

As for the grid - http://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/blend ... hp#mapgrid

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 10:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks man :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 01-29-2016 11:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use .lwo! D/L link: http://www.ewocprojects.be/lwoexport.html

Example .blend http://www.pasteall.org/blend/40373 Needs at least U.V. map, notice materials(paths in blend point to default q3 shaders) Also example has dummy teleporter, 64^2 brush, player bounds.

Apply modifiers, triangulate.

Use Export settings:

Edit: Notice how grid shown matches radiant grid!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-30-2016 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also forgot, as you're using Blender download the reference pack to solve your scaling/size issues -http://www.katsbits.com/tools/#reference

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-05-2016 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Kat: Thank you for tip, I really appreciate tha :)
@Theftbot: I don't think LWO would be best to use with Quake3 as it needs to be smoothed manually by shader, LWO object does not support autosmooth of the geometry normals. ASE and MD3 does...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.