Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        FOG TROUBLES

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: FOG TROUBLES

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-18-2016 08:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HAVING TROUBLE WITH FOGS! COULD SOMEONE POINT ME TO A OBTAINABLE SCRIPT AND ACCOMPANING FILES FOR FOG EFFECT IN QUAKE III ARENA!

THANK YOU

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-18-2016 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOUT!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-19-2016 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry yo :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-19-2016 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3.4 fogparms <red value> <green value> <bluevalue> <distance to Opaque>

Note: you must also specify "surfaceparm fog" to cause q3map to identify the surfaces inside the volume. Fogparms only describes how to render the fog on the surfaces.

<red value> <green value> <blue value> These are normalized values. A good computer art program should give you the RGB values for a color. To obtain the values that define fog color for Quake III Arena, divide the desired color's Red, Green and Blue values by 255 to obtain three normalized numbers within the 0.0 to 1.0 range.
<distance toopaque> This is the distance, in game units, until the fog becomes totally opaque, as measured from the point of view of the observer. By making the height of the fog brush shorter than the distance to opaque, the apparent density of the fog can be reduced (because it never reaches the depth at which full opacity occurs).

The fog volume can only have one surface visible (from outside the fog).
Fog must be made of one brush. It cannot be made of adjacent brushes.
Fog brushes must be axial. This means that only square or rectangular brushes may contain fog, and those must have their edges drawn along the axes of the map grid (all 90 degree angles).

Design Notes:

If a water texture contains a fog parameter, it must be treated as if it were a fog texture when in use.
If a room is to be filled completely with a fog volume,it can only be entered through one surface (and still have the fog function correctly).
Additional shader passes may be placed on a fog brush, as with other brushes.

ie.

textures/your texture dir/texture name
{
qer_editorimage textures/your texture dir/your texture name.tga/.jpg
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm fog
surfaceparm nolightmap
qer_nocarve
fogparms ( 0.05 0.05 0.05 ) 500
}

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-20-2016 05:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried copy and pasting your example. And i change all the file names where they are supposed to.
plus I made a little reservoir for the fog. but this is the result. Is there something I might be doing wrong?

Attachments:
fogexample.gif
fogexample.gif [ 24.04 KB | Viewed 557 times ]

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-21-2016 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you add "your texture dir" to shaderlist.txt?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-21-2016 09:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been bunching all my textures into one shader file. I call it framesleep.shader. I've got some bounce pad textures (animated), and some other textures. Maybe I should make every type of shader a different shader file. Maybe thats what's happening?

thanks. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2016 09:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the console it should mention what shader it is trying to find when it can't find it. Maybe that's a starting point when looking for the cause

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-26-2016 03:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey guys I figured out the fog thing. thanks!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-26-2016 03:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering if I could add a line to the fog shader i made to make it go up and down. Like kinda like how the ocean tides make the surface of the water go up and down. Like swaying I guess is the word for it. thanks. :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-28-2016 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. Not with actual volumetric fog. It's hard-coded, not that sophisticated.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-21-2016 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think the idtech3 engine can even handle that complexity of fog... SO yeah, I second obsidian with this one.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.