Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Working on a new quake2/4 mod, questions on terrain/curves

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Working on a new quake2/4 mod, questions on terrain/curves

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there. I am starting work on a new mod; a reconstruction of a classic quake 2 mod (DDay Normandy). To do so, I've been using a newer engine that was based on quake 2 but has been improved to the point of idtech4-5. Anyways, there's a lot of new technology being used now compared to when I used to make Q2/Q3 maps back in the day.

My first question is.. how do I construct modern terrain? What is the most impressive and newest way you do it these days? Back in the day we used heightmaps, but looking at newer terrain, there is a lot of blending, alphamaps, and different detail in places.. The terrain I'm noticing in this engine's maps are something called static models, it looks like they've created them using 3dsmax, but I'm clueless how they went about texturing it to look so nice.. I've heard of megatextures, perhaps I have to figure out how to use those...

Last question is, I need to make cylinders, but when I try and make a brush with more than 14 sides I get the error, 'max winding hit'. How do I do more sides?

Cheers.

I will have more to tell in time.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 05-23-2016 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.