Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Some QL/Q3 editing questions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Some QL/Q3 editing questions

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-03-2016 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I'm Retro_Mapper and I'm new here. I guess I'm pretty late to the party but I'm interested in making some Q3/QL maps. Google brought me here and luckily, there's a ton of information to be found. There are just a couple of things I'm unsure about.

I've installed GtkRadiant 1.6.4 because it has QL support. I can make maps using QL textures. If I make a Q3 map I can use custom textures. Can I use those custom textures in my QL version as well? If so, how? Does the same apply to custom models?
    I've found some tutorials on how to setup GtkRadiant 1.6 for QL using Wolfcam but that's outdated right? No need for Wolfcam anymore.
    I've found some advanced techniques on Simonoc.com. Can I apply things like texture blending in QL as well?
    I tried GtkRadiant 1.4 as well. I kinda like it. Can I switch my maps easily between both versions or will it cause problems?
    All the tutorials talk about optimizing your map but it mentions tris counts that are over a decade old. What performance numbers should I aim for?
    It doesn't seem to be possible to add a levelshot to QL maps? Or am I doing something wrong?
    I guess alpha/beta testing is out of the question due to the limited size of the remaining community?

I'll probably have more questions later on but I hope that someone can already give me a push in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
Retro_Mapper

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-03-2016 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>> Can I use those custom textures in my QL version as well? If so, how? Does the same apply to custom models?
Yes, just put the textures with the right path in your PK3. Mapmodels are baked into the BSP during the compile process. You only need to put the mapmodel textures/shader also in your PK3.

>> No need for Wolfcam anymore.
Right.

>> Can I apply things like texture blending in QL as well?
Yes, it's pretty much the same engine.

>> Can I switch my maps easily between both versions or will it cause problems?
There are some differences between Q3 & QL. It's maybe a good idea to build your map for one game until final version. Then convert it for the other.

The main differences are:
+ QL has a lot more textures.
+ QL has "new" gametypes. (all gametype keys are also different!)
+ QL got some new weapons & ammo packs.
+ Custom sounds for doors.
+ QL reads & display Author key in worldspawn.
- No shader remapping in QL anymore. :(
- No gore & pentagramm textures in QL :(

>> What performance numbers should I aim for?
personally I try to stay below 20k tris. On modern computers 50k are no problem with 125fps. But not everyone got a modern pc. Some people maybe playing this "old" game because of old hardware. ;)

>> It doesn't seem to be possible to add a levelshot to QL maps? Or am I doing something wrong?
Nope, it's a bug (or feature?) of QL atm.

>> I guess alpha/beta testing is out of the question due to the limited size of the remaining community?
Maybe the Steam Workshop can help (QL) or this forum (Q3A+QL)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-03-2016 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you very much sst13! I saw your website, very impressive work. Most impressive.

Btw, I spend some more time Googling and also came across Reflex, which I bought. Apparently, you can convert your Quake 3 map with relative ease to Reflex. Does anyone have any experience with that? It looks like the Reflex community is more active so there's a better chance of people playing it if you release a map for all 3 games.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.