Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        How can I create round dome, there is one but can't invert i

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How can I create round dome, there is one but can't invert i

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-18-2016 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

How can I create a round dome, I can't get it so it is inverted, it isn't too bad the shape, but I can't do inverting for any brush.

Thanks.

Attachments:
howdoicreatedomeceiling.JPG
howdoicreatedomeceiling.JPG [ 239.4 KB | Viewed 334 times ]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-18-2016 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I assume you simply mean you want to invert the side from which the patch is visible? You select the patch, and press Ctrl and i.
Be aware you can only select a patch from the solid side.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-19-2016 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How can I remove that center vertice?

I actually just moved it down below the rest of the center floor there.

Attachments:
removecenter.JPG
removecenter.JPG [ 47.75 KB | Viewed 327 times ]

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-19-2016 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

richfromlondon wrote:
How can I remove that center vertice?

you cannot remove it

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-19-2016 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see.

What is the solution for a rounded floor? If only I could scale it back the first round line from the center vertice.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-19-2016 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Make a simple cylinder.
2. Hit V and select the lower row of vertices. Selection -> Scale -> X:3 Y:3 Z:1
2. Now select the middle row of vertices. Selection -> Scale -> X:2 Y:2 Z:1

This should produce some kind of pylon shape.

Protip: You can select entire rows/cols of vertices by holding down SHIFT while clicking on them.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-19-2016 11:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you trying to make a concave or convex floor?
Not that it really matters. Bare in mind, patches create issues with bot navigation, so you are going to have to be able to botclip whatever shape you make.
You absolutely can lower the centre control point (those little squares that you can select to drag your mesh, are actually control points, not vertices). The biggest problem is going to be texturing actually. Whatever texture you use is going to be warped. I would suggest you use a texture with very little detail, to hide the issue as much as possible.
I actually do have a solution that I came up with for vaulted ceilings and domes, but it probably a bit too involved.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-20-2016 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, the alternative could to create shaped brushes in a circle to surround the first deck circle.

Thank you.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.