Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Making low poly models

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Making low poly models

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently got into modeling and made this model http://imgur.com/W1EtNRY
I have a few questions:
-How do i make this model .md2 or .md3(because i want to port it to both quake 2 and quake3)?
-What tools do i need in order to compilie it?(or do i have to compile at all?)
-And how do i import my own animations?(for q3)///And is there a way to keep animations from a quake 2 "berseker" model(and just change the model)?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First of all: We do not need to be forced to click on some link to image host. Right-click on the hosted image and chose Properties, then copy internet address of the image and give it to the img tag. It should look like this:

If the image is too large it breaks up the layout of the forum, use lvlshot tag instead.

Second: You did not specify, which model editor you are using. That way it's hard to say how you would export model as MD2 for Q2 or MD3 for Q3. Quake 3 (well q3map2 rather than the engine) also accepts ASE models, which are also moveable and can be easily edited by text editor (mainly to change texture or the texture's path). MD3's are binary encoded and encrypted to specific path relative to pk3's root. The model has specified the model's path inside the file itself and the textures. MD3 is not directly editable. You might want to use Hex Editor for MD3 editing, but as long as the model and its textures paths including the files itself remain exactly the same length. MD3 has number of checksums, which are located in different addresses and if you change the size of any part of the file, you are likely to void the entire model file...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry i didnt know that,iam using 3DS MAX.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 08:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then you could just export to ASE. Check for best export settings for Quake 3 Arena. GtkRadiant supports ASE models and so does q3map2. Not sure about Quake 2, though...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-06-2016 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is how id Software did it. There might be other tools that might have simplified some portions of this process since then.

http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documenta ... manual.htm

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.