Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Problems with glass shaders

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Problems with glass shaders

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-08-2016 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm trying to create curved window, using mostly simple patch meshes, so it would look like one solid piece of glass. I've created simple shader, using q3map_nonplanar and q3map_shadeangle 179, however it still has visible difference between two adjacent patches. Screenshots will help to understand this issue.
As you can see, there are two horizontal lines across window (that's where the two patches meet), and there is visible difference in texture alignment. What should I do? Recreating whole thing with brushes will take ages, and right now the window looks really awful. Should I change something in my shader file or even glass texture? I'm out of ideas, so I would be extremely grateful for any help.
Cheers.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-08-2016 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think q3map_nonplanar and q3map_shadeangle works only with brushes, not curves.

The solution to your problem is to build the entire glass from a single patch, not seperate ones.

But it looks atm more realistic, like glass would look in the real world with this shape... :up:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-08-2016 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am not sure if it's possible to build that window as a single patch, mainly because it has straight edges (it is more like V shape with flat middle, instead of perfectly smooth curve), unless there is some method I am not aware of.
It shouldn't look realistic, because it's bloody Star Wars map. It must look cool and spacey! ;) Besides that, those horizontal lines are ruining view from the window, which is one of the most important features of this small map. Thanks for the info about shader keys working only with brushes - if it's true, then I must think of something else, some sort of alternative solution or shape. Maybe I'll try to recreate whole glass with brushes, but that might be last thing I'd try.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-08-2016 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its not a problem, just use a ENDCAP and add 2 ROWS like this:

Edit: Sorry, i didnt read the part with the V-Shape when i took the picture.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-08-2016 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
...just use a ENDCAP and add 2 ROWS...

Endcap with 3 rows and it will work!
Or Simple Patch Mesh width=5 height=7 is basically the same.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-08-2016 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you for all your responses, I couldn't ask for more. I still have so much to learn about using patches, because I had no idea how to create straight edges with it. :P
Looks perfect, just how I wanted (window is more visible in-game, but I might change texture to something less transparent). Again, huge thanks to all of you for such quick and helpful answers.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Curious, what game is this for?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

most likely Jedi Academy

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.