Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        q3map2 optimal configuration for today

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3map2 optimal configuration for today

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-24-2017 07:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is the most high-quality configuration for q3map2 available? I really want to make my map shine on ioquake3! >:D

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-25-2017 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grab q3map2toolz
I usually use
"your path\q3map2.exe" -meta -samplesize 2 "your path"
"your path\q3map2.exe" -vis "your path"
"your path\q3map2.exe" -light -fast -filter -patchshadows "your path"
"your path\bspc.exe" -forcesidesvisible -bsp2aas "your path"

This is a good setup I use. If its too dark you can not use -fast in the light stage.

Some people use bounce and gamma and a bunch of other switches but i find they don't do that much but add a lot more compile time. Experiment and find the settings that work best for you. Good luck.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-26-2017 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm OK with trading compile time vs. runtime performance and good results.

I've noticed that you don't use -dirty. Any special reason?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-26-2017 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, i tried using -lightmapsize 2048, but nothing changed in-game.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3 doesn't even support texture sizes of 2048^2. -lightmapsize is difficult to use and get results due to the way lightmap pages are projected onto a surface.

Compile time in general doesn't have much to do with runtime performance. It doesn't matter whether Q3Map2 takes 30 secs. or 30 mins. to render your lightmaps, the number of generated pixels will usually be the same*.

* If not scaling lightmap pages or other trickery.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.