Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Photoshop CC

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Photoshop CC

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-27-2017 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm looking for some advice.
I've not owned a copy of PS for a long time. I'm looking at jumping back in, but I don't really understand the current models.
I would use PS for post processing of photographs, and hobbyist game and modelling stuff.
Any advice on what I should be looking at?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-27-2017 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea. I'm user of Photoshop CS5, which is pretty great for texture making out of photo resources, and for image post-processing (like changing texture color tones, inverting decals textures, etc.) But I don't know any other advantages that Photoshop has. And I'm happy. I do what I can do, and that's all for me :)

But to start somewhere, I don't know if CGTextures.com didn't actually update their Photoshop tutorial for making textures, you may check it out :)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You only have two choices basically. The bundle of Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC if you work with pixel based graphics only. If you need to edit vector graphics, you can get all of the CC apps.
You may however purchase photoshop only, but iirc getting it with lightroom is cheaper for some reason.

From what I've seen CS6 is impossible to get these days. People sell copies on ebay for insane prices. CC is all that's left.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-28-2017 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a photographer, you would use Lightroom and Photoshop in conjunction with each other, mostly in Lightroom.

Lightroom is great at organizing, cataloging and tagging your photos, creating libraries of your picks from a photo shoot, and then editing things like exposure values, fixing white balance, etc. Basically, overall adjustments of your photos. You can probably do this kind of thing in PS as well, but it'll be a 12 step process, whereas Lightroom is streamlined for this kind of thing. In addition, all changes are lossless so you can tweak away while preserving your original digital copy.

Where needed, you can export a photo directly into Photoshop for more pixel editing changes like removing wrinkles and blemishes, add cats and Donald Trump to your family portraits, and then send that altered version back into Lightroom.

I'm still using Apple's Aperture program which is a Lightroom equivalent, but Apple discontinued support for it and I haven't yet made the transition to Lightroom (I've used it before, just not as part of my normal photography workflow).

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-29-2017 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use Lightroom for 99% of my post-processing. it's really all you need unless you want to resize and sharpen (the final 1%). any old image editor can do that

if you're on a budget: Lightroom + GIMP

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.