Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Weird problem, solid looking fog?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Weird problem, solid looking fog?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-27-2018 12:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Idk how this is happening, I checked for certain brushes, curves, meshes and removed them to see if they were causing it, I also looked for leaks but nothing was found. Can anyone tell me why this fog is so weird looking?

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably just a leak somewhere, like, the fog needs to be enclosed in other structural brushes, all but once face. Here it would be below and all sides.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah okay, I had a side exposed to the void I figured it wouldn't need to be covered. Thanks.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-28-2018 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks like you're wading through Irn Bru

is this map Scottish-themed?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-29-2018 04:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
looks like you're wading through Irn Bru

is this map Scottish-themed?

Nah I'm going for a sort of surrealistic Gothic look, it's a map I started developing ages ago when I was 13 and stupid. Here's some shots:

The swastikas a Wolfenstein reference, but I'm gonna remove it because it looks out of place and pointless. I want the level to be a bit of a mix of atmosphere and gameplay, so I need to sort out the item placements and spawn points.

I might add another room to it too, where the teleporter and yellow armour is.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-29-2018 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice looking map there, I miss the old Q3 gothic theme (though I agree the swastika is out of place). Those pillars in the 4th screenshot look like they're floating/structurally unsound - especially the one on the roof. The textures on the columns in the last screenshot could be retextured with maybe 2 different textures instead of the 5 or 6 that it is currently using.

Hard to tell gameplay from screenshots, but the last screenshot room (which I assume is the same as the 4th screenshot) looks rather large and boxy.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-30-2018 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Dirge Inferno, +1, you may place these rooms on different height or even above each other, to make gameplay more vertical. Or place some of them, being connected diagonally. :)
P.S. 6-th screenshot looks the most promising.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-02-2018 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Nice looking map there, I miss the old Q3 gothic theme (though I agree the swastika is out of place). Those pillars in the 4th screenshot look like they're floating/structurally unsound - especially the one on the roof. The textures on the columns in the last screenshot could be retextured with maybe 2 different textures instead of the 5 or 6 that it is currently using.

Hard to tell gameplay from screenshots, but the last screenshot room (which I assume is the same as the 4th screenshot) looks rather large and boxy.

Thanks, you meant the 3 pillars near the railgun/armour shards-- I already removed them because I thought they were intrusive. I removed some of the textures from the columns.

I'm trying to think of how to make it less boxy, it's a bit hard with this map because it's mainly a noob-ish map I made back in 2010 which I just wanna get done. I've done several gameplay tests with bots and found it to be alright gameplay wise.

Obsessed wrote:
@ Dirge Inferno, +1, you may place these rooms on different height or even above each other, to make gameplay more vertical. Or place some of them, being connected diagonally. :)
P.S. 6-th screenshot looks the most promising.

I'll try and see what I can do, I've been thinking about adding a few extra rooms near this area to make it not make the map so small and make it connect a bit more:

As you can see from the sloppiness I clearly started the map when I was a noob at this (I still am a bit) and never finished it. That image is just hastily made, I don't intend the rooms I want to add for better flow to be boxy/squared shaped-- just a cheaply made example. I also want to add curving staircases around here because I think it would both look better and flow more easily, but I've never attempted to make any before:

I could also remove a part of this wall and add a pathway leading to the two rooms I thought about adding which would lead back to where the RL is:

I definitely could add more vertical aspects to the map, I''m only just starting to map again and haven't been doing really anything since 2012. I hope once I get all of this map polished I can make better levels without doing it sloppily, I most definitely need to work on the spawn points and item placements as well. Once I get all of this sorted I can assort all the textures to the perfect alignments (curves).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-05-2018 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Dirge Inferno, I'd generally bother only not to leave dead ends and large open areas for accidental rail fire. :) That's why I'm interested, if this long corridor (upper-left corner of your drawing) has no ways to escape, I'd add something there. For example, a jumppad, launching a player to another room (onto this "square with pink symbol in the center"). ;) If it's possible and reasonable, surely.
P.S. Sloppiness is normal, as for me. ;)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-08-2018 07:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsessed wrote:
@ Dirge Inferno, I'd generally bother only not to leave dead ends and large open areas for accidental rail fire. :) That's why I'm interested, if this long corridor (upper-left corner of your drawing) has no ways to escape, I'd add something there. For example, a jumppad, launching a player to another room (onto this "square with pink symbol in the center"). ;) If it's possible and reasonable, surely.
P.S. Sloppiness is normal, as for me. ;)

I'll try and think about it how to do it (I have a bit of a visual memory), meanwhile I'm trying to figure out why the rain shader won't work properly in the default Quake 3:

The rain texture worked perfectly in ioQuake3, and I used the exact same shader that the original rain texture used except changed the blendFunc to blend instead of add after adding an alpha to the rain texture.

EDIT: Sorry about the frame-rate, that's irrelevant as I was running two games and several other programs on my aging PC at the time. This rain shader problem consists within the default Quake 3 executable but not in ioQuake3, I don't want people who don't use ioQuake3 to enter the level and find the rain broken like this.

Here is the shader I used:

Code:
textures/omniscientiniquitous/rain
{
   qer_editorimage textures/sfx/rain2.tga
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   surfaceparm nomarks
   surfaceparm nonsolid
   surfaceparm trans
   cull disable
   deformVertexes move 3 1 0 sin 0 5 0 0.2
   deformVertexes move 0.6 3.3 0 sin 0 5 0 0.4
   deformVertexes wave 30 sin 0 10 0 0.2
   qer_trans 0.5
   {
      map textures/sfx/rain2.tga
      blendfunc blend
      tcMod scroll 0.5 -8
      tcMod turb 0.1 0.25 0 -0.1
   }
   {
      map textures/sfx/rain2.tga
      blendfunc blend
      tcMod scroll 0.01 -6.3

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-23-2018 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-06-2018 02:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've made some major changes in the past few hours for better gameplay:

https://imgur.com/a/HjUiI

https://imgur.com/a/VXz6Z

https://imgur.com/a/MLgRh

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-10-2018 08:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy cow, this looks great! Even using default textures. I must say that for a 13 year old cub you had really good imagination :D Keep up :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-10-2018 10:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Holy cow, this looks great! Even using default textures. I must say that for a 13 year old cub you had really good imagination :D Keep up :)

Thanks, almost 21 now :D. I fixed the issue with the portal leading to the quad room, but I have an issue with the lights-- instead of using caulk I used nodrawnonsolid texture, but each time I compile the map there's certain lights you'd be able to walk through while others won't and it changes each time I compile the map. I repeatedly checked the lights and I don't even know what is happening.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-13-2018 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If a brush is covered with shaders with different surfaceparms, there is a conflict. For example, half the brush is textured with a solid shader, other half is textured with a noclip shader. Which shader properties does the brush use? The compiler takes whatever shader it reads first for that brush and uses that, which order can change when you save your map.

Solutions: Create a copy of the shader and modify it for use, or clip off the lights with playerclip.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-13-2018 06:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried making a copy of the shaders with transparent and nonsolid properties, it still randomly chose to compile certain lights as solid and others as nonsolid. I'll try clipping the walls or the lights.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-13-2018 08:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I clipped all the lights. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_epZyv2xoo

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-15-2018 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also does anyone know how to make a one shot sound at the start of a match in the map? Like in q3tourney5?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-15-2018 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

use a trigger_always entity and make it target a target_speaker entity.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-15-2018 04:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, now I think I have pretty much got the map sensible enough for gameplay except for item and weapon placement. Does anyone want to test it?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.