Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Got an idea to map item placement suggestion tool

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Got an idea to map item placement suggestion tool

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inspired by sst13's map item placement suggestion screenshot tool, I created its improved version:

It uses Google's jQuery & jQuery UI API, especially jQuery UI Draggable widget for item symbols. Instead of multiple layers of a single symbol like sst13's tool uses, this version has a single layer of an item symbol that gets cloned while dragging. This makes for a a theoretically infinite number of the same item on the page, whilst sst13's tool has a final maximum number of clones of the same item. You can download the template demo page from this link. The password is, as usual, kerberos. It's then easy to remake the demo page for your app needs. I'm going to make PHP dynamic version using a JSON map database.

Last edited by CZghost on 03-31-2018 06:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 06:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"The password is as usual..."

There's something profoundly wrong with that sentence

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So PHP webtool app works perfectly, just needed to tweak the JSON load up portion of PHP code. Well, almost ready to deploy. First I need to redesign my blog and move it to new spot. That will be pretty long way since there is no free Wordpress theme out there that would satisfy my requirements and could support Central Europe languages, including Czech. And I need to make a top view of some of my WIP maps in order to give it a reason to exist :)

@Eraser: Sorry, forgot a comma :D Fixed ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah no I'm not talking about grammar or anything language related.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-02-2018 09:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a double layer protection. Layer 1: not searchable. Layer 2: password protection. If the layer 1 fails, layer 2 ensures only those who go there on purpose will be able to download the file, no stranger. Because it's supposed to be yours guys ;)

And what's wrong with the as usual part of sentence? Should I set new passwords for each new file? It won't add up much security (if not at all), so why do I have to create new passwords each time? Especially for shared files.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

His point is that even having a password on a web based free tool is unnecessary and kind of defeats the utility of it. I’m not going to remember a password next week if I decide to use it for anything.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually meant using the same password for multiple logins is a bad idea.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-08-2018 01:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, your opinion. It is bad idea, but remember tons of password is very hard deal. I do not share one password for all services, but one password is assigned to few services, next to another group, and so on. So for number of services I use only few passwords. And I do not need to remember various passwords each one for one service.

Anyway, the item placement tool is up and running: http://czghost.4fan.cz/q3_item_placement/
I added that link to the homepage, too...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Well, your opinion. It is bad idea, but remember tons of password is very hard deal.

https://www.lastpass.com/
https://www.dashlane.com/
https://keepass.info/
https://1password.com/

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I refuse to use password managers for security reason. If a spyware gets in my computer, these can be easily stolen from often poorly secured local password database. And using cloud service for my passwords? Excuse me? Giving out stack of my passwords used for login somewhere overseas? I can't trust such service if it comes to passwords. If I had to write and save my passwords, it would be in my personal closeth, written on a piece of paper. Not remote accessed from overseas. Free doesn't mean free, and paying for a service I can do on my own differently and without any financial effort is pure stupid.

I'm quite sceptic and paranoid in question of cloud services. Using for personal documents classified as non-confidental (so basically pieces of junk), photos and pictures supposed to share, why not? But password is something too personal to save it in cloud and too worthy to save it in computer. So I have two options: write it on a piece of paper and lock it in my room closeth, or just remember it. Understood?

Anyway, don't rely so much to the basic password rule. I'm not a person that could remember 50 passwords and write it to a piece of paper? Only if it's really important in terms of security. It's much easier to remember few passwords in cost of repeptitive usage than have passwords stolen or somewhat traded with them by so called "free" services. You never know who is currently viewing your personal informations, including passwords. That quite made me upset and scared at the same time. Upset because you're trying to force someone change their mind and scared that someone actually uses cloud service to store password. And by this you are actually breaking the most basic security rule in terms of passwords: NEVER TELL OR SHARE YOUR PERSONAL PASSWORD! You are sharing your passwords with a service you actually don't know anything about.

This is something different to password protected shared files. You have to tell the password if you want to share password protected file. And you can clearly see I've used very basic password, pretty easily guessable and weak to dictionary attack. I've set it only to protect it against curious strangers...

I don't know why the discussion has turned into password security question. I didn't want to talk about passwords security. I've just shared something I created with you, only set it password protected so any curious stranger that accidentally come across doesn't download something that is shared with a closed community...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.