Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Portals in the void.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Portals in the void.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-23-2018 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea how this has occurred and can find no micro or any other kind of brush for that matter but
there are portals in the void on my map :confused: . Anyone have any ideas. Am still using GtkRadiant
1.5. 3 of them are flat and as you can see in the screenshot at the bottom 1 also extends down.

Attachments:
prtv1.jpg
prtv1.jpg [ 214.35 KB | Viewed 276 times ]
prtv.jpg
prtv.jpg [ 241.05 KB | Viewed 272 times ]

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-23-2018 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try selecting brushes within the hull of your map and copying into a new map file and see if that causes the same issue. Try temporarily removing hints.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ya I had already taken all the hints out of the map. Placing hint brushes isn't my strong suit as it is. I've replaced the hull of the map with out any difference.
So I tried moving the entire map on the grid and all it did was change where the portals were. they moved from being at the lower floor level to being at the
ceiling level which was kind of strange because I moved it up. I've used brush cleanup. It doesn't seem to be effecting anything as far as game play goes and
the bots don't act retarded. Bots play the map really good. I'm going to try and copy the hull in small sections at a time to GtkRadiant 1.6.5 and see if it works.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are they appearing where the block lines are (show blocks option)?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok its fixed. Turns out that the sections of the map that extended below the map ,that I had fog in was
the culprit. I had decided to see what happened if I just got rid of the pits because after loading up the
original map aty3dm5 only to find out it had the same problem. Until recently I had not known that in
some situations portals could be created out in the void and therefor have never looked out there while
viewing the prt . I still don't understand why it happened. Putting brushwork below 0 on the y axis shouldn't
be an issue as far as I know. Here are a couple of screenshots just to show more of what it looked like. That
big blue mess in 2d no longer looks that way(one of reasons for rebuilding the hull).

Attachments:
prt5.jpg
prt5.jpg [ 249.35 KB | Viewed 262 times ]
prt4.jpg
prt4.jpg [ 180.2 KB | Viewed 276 times ]

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.