Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GtkRadiant missing fog placeholder textures?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GtkRadiant missing fog placeholder textures?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 02:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello. I've encountered that recently, GtkRadiant has dropped usage of fog placeholder editor textures (you know, the coloured tile with text "fog" inside). I've managed to make them myself, using a checkerboard template and text "FOG" over tiles. But I still must ask: what happened to the original stock editor textures for fogs? Why are they not included in Radiant anymore?

Personally, I think it's no problem for such people like me to create missing textures ourselves (especially the technical textures that do not show up in the game). But I was kind of used to the original ones and it feel pretty much odd using different textures now. Can you bring them back? I've placed them in a separated pk3 called "fogs.pk3".

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 02:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noticed the same.
I think the problem is that a lot of stock shaders refer to qer_editorimage files that aren't distributed with the game itself. I think these used to be distributed with GtkRadiant installations, but they stopped doing that because people used those textures in their maps, thinking they were part of the base game and people without GtkRadiant installs would end up with missing textures. If it's just the qer_editorimage that's missing, it should be no problem as the shader will end up looking correctly in-game.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 02:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How could anyone think like that? I've never thought that the ugly fog editor textures are something to redistribute :D Well, I could redistribute my stock patch for those who miss these textures to distinquish various fogs from each other, and can't create some themselves, for some reason...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 03:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not just fog placeholder textures, but a bunch of actually usable textures as well.
Do a little research into the "mapmedia.pk3" phenomenon. It'll clear things up for you.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

=> https://github.com/TTimo/GtkRadiant/issues/112

the pk3 can still be manually downloaded here
http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/downloads/mapmedia.pk3
but if you want ot use any textures from it then I'd advise you to manually take them out of the pk3, put them into a new folder (together with any other custom textures for your map) and use that version of the texture in your map. Whatever you do, don't simply drop it into baseq3 because you'll end up making the same mistakes people have been making for 12 or so years.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Incorrect! Mapmedia never included anything that shipped with the game OR anything that is used by the editor. That’s why it was removed. I would advise against downloading Mapmedia.pk3 since it’s the bane of many maps with broken textures.

If there are any editor images missing, post the shader names here and I’ll look into fixing it with proper textures in the right editor pak file. Note that some shaders have always been broken since they are orphaned shaders that id Software never used.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know of two of them:

textures/skies/toxicsky refers to qer_editorimage "textures/skies/inteldimredclouds.tga" but that texture doesn't exist (inteldimclouds.tga and intelredclouds.tga exist, but not inteldimredclouds.tga).

textures/sfx/fog_mkcdm4 refers to qer_editorimage "textures/sfx/fog_red.tga" but that doesn't exist. mapmedia.pk3 used to contain a number of fog_[color].tga files. You'll find that the sfx.shader file has more fog shaders referring to these (missing) editorimages.

edit:
looks like more sky shaders are referring to inteldimredclouds.tga, but only as qer_editorimage

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-02-2018 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did the same thing CZghost did but only for the fog_red qer_editorimage. I was just looking through mapmeadia(unpacked outside of the game
on a different drive). I fell victim to it some years back with one of the pool textures. It no longer resides in my baseq3. I have 3 installations of
Q3A. 1 for editing in, 1 for testing in and one for playing. I don't have mapmedia in the playing install at the moment but if I were to use it that's
the only place Ide have it because if you had downloaded a map that has missing textures there's a chance it may fix it. fog_red is in there.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-02-2018 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’ll take a look. If anything, I’ll repack editorimages into common.pk3 or something.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-11-2018 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I had troubles only with the fog editor images missing. I do not care about sky textures because most of time I'm using/testing custom skyboxes or custom sky textures, or I stick with a generic default sky in alpha pre-release and then it gets replaced by a custom sky shader.

But since I tend to use default fog shaders, that little change that deletes the editor images for fog shaders made me quite upset. But I didn't lose my mind and created some myself. From then, I'll stick with my version and if anyone wants to give it a try, I'll release them on my websites (which were completely changed recently - WordPress blog moved to new location, and an old location became home of portfolio infopage and contact form; websites are going to change once again, especially in terms of WordPress blog theme, which is currently under my development)...

Anyway, thanks for your info about how it truly happened. A missing editor texture is actually never quite problem for me :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.