Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Not sure how to fix this error

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Not sure how to fix this error

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-05-2018 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I decided to try some mapping on my other computer because I have a 34" ultra wide screen so I have some extra viewing area
but its been an experience going from windows 7 to mapping in windows 10. I managed to install everything ok but I'm having
some weird issues like disappearing brushes, walls all of a sudden becoming see thru in game. At this point I'm just guessing
that because the files originated in a different OS it may have something to do with it. I had some models I had to delete then
put back into the map to get them to work. So now I'm getting this error and Its got me stumped because I don't understand
what files its referring to.The only thing I thought it may be is that the file structure is to deep.

Error opening F:/Program Files (x86)/id Software/Quake3 Play/baseq3/maps/aty3dm9msc2013.map: Too many open files

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-05-2018 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's odd because I have like 50,000 files in my baseq3 that are loaded by Radiant every time I open it. Have you tried reinstalling? What Radiant are you using?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-06-2018 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually have 1.5 and the latest 1.6 installed. The error is happening in 1.5 and the other things are in 1.6 . I also didn't mention that the error happens when I try to build the map using radiant. When I just want to test something out I use the built in q3map2 because it takes about 30 seconds to compile the map.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-06-2018 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a setting in 1.6 for disappearing brushes on ATI cards, it might just disable desktop composition which can be annoying though.

If you prefer 1.5, I recommend netradiant-custom, it's fixed a lot of bugs in the now-obsolete gtk 1.5, plus a billion new features and optimizations. I don't have much to suggest to actually solve the problems you're having now, but I think netradiant-custom will probably not run into those problems to be honest.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-21-2018 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well what I tried was installing Q3A in C:Program Files (x86) and 1.5 worked for a while but after a few hours it crashed.
During the whole time my screen would flash every few minutes (I am thinking it was when autosave kicked in) and it was
during one of those flashes when It crashed. So I just uninstalled 1.5 and 1.6 after trying out netradiants latest incarnation.
One of the reasons I like 1.5 is when you want to select a single face (or multiple faces for that matter) all you had to do is
shift + LMB on the brush or brushes to select then just hit the f key and you could select any face you want to work on by
holding the shift key and left clicking on whichever face you want on said selected brushes. Ya I'm inclined to think that
GtkRadiant and Radeon Vid cards are less compatible than Nvidia cards. My newer computer has RX 580 GPU's in it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.