Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Moving trigger_hurt

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Moving trigger_hurt

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-13-2018 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to do this in idtech3? Have, say, a moving gas that is represented by a box move and do damage to players?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-13-2018 10:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can't move a trigger_hurt, for the obvious reason that it's already an entity. However, you can move a lava or slime shader, and those are the only shaders that can cause damage. They also cause damage in a specific way that cannot be modified (simply): if you are completely submerged, you take significantly more damage. And you can't choose how much damage is dealt.

So... sort of?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-14-2018 12:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

However, you can move a lava
+1, notorious q2dm3 ("The Frag Pipe") for example.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-14-2018 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
However, you can move a lava or slime shader, and those are the only shaders that can cause damage

This can't be done.
Any surfaceparm shader instructions that define the contents of the brush are hard baked into the map at compile time. That means the area that hurts the players (and added effects like sounds played when entering the liquid or leaving it or the view warping effect while submerged in a liquid) isn't actually moving with the brush itself. It stays in the area the brush originally covered before moving (sort of, the player-hurting effect itself appears to become disabled once the brush moves).

I once tried to create a pool of water where the water level can be raised and lowered once, but I gave up on that because of these oddities.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-14-2018 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsessed wrote:
However, you can move a lava
+1, notorious q2dm3 ("The Frag Pipe") for example.

Quake 2 isn't Quake 3 though :(

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-14-2018 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Eraser, yep, you're right! :miffed: :q2: != :q3:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-14-2018 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright yeah, all my testing is done in Defrag, and I often forget just how much it changes. Movers can be lava or acid, and they work as you would think. Baseq3 seems to not, sadly :(

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-14-2018 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

These kind of things can be faked with the "shooter" entities, but requires a custom (invisible/silent) projectile, which I don't remember being too hard to set up.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-21-2018 12:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If anyone else can confirm or demonstrate that it could be faked I'd be into trying my hand at making a new map asap.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you search downthread to 2016, you'll see a map I posted called "Outrage.(an ancient version of it, anyway)" This has a func_button that goes to a trigger_hurt (among other things, via a trigger_multiple), which is set to start_off as well as toggle.

It doesn't move, but it does at least activate and deactivate. You might be able to get a few "frames" of pseudo-animation by a couple of these triggers setting off the hurts in different places. So long as you don't need anything too fancy. The apparent motivating "cloud" you would create separately in the same space.

Just a thought.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.