Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13arena "Lost Arena"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13arena "Lost Arena"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-20-2019 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lost Arena:

This is a Remake/Remix of good old q3dm3 "Arena Of Death"
I started this map 14 years ago and never finished it into an adequate state - Until totay! :D

Screenshots: (some are not really up to date)

New stuff:
A center sublevel connected upwards with 3 jumppads and a teleporter.
The 2 side areas have now additional ledges and 2 small rooms.
Bigger and better tower area (see 2nd shot)
There is also a second teleporter hidden under the MH.
2 drop holes with some shards and health, leading to the sublevel.
Some green fog of death >:D

Things still to do:
- maybe better lighting
- more detailed rocks and some plants
- some VIS improvements
- more weapons for Obsessed

It would be nice to get some feedback related to the items.

Download Q3A version Beta2 (6.5 MB)
PK3: map-13arena_b2.pk3
ZIP: map-13arena_b2.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1661746504

Have fun testing... sst13

Last edited by sst13 on 05-17-2019 05:59 AM, edited 4 times in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-21-2019 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello sst13. The comment, 14 years in the making caught my eye and it's been a while since I ventured in to LEM but I am glad I have today. I hadn't played QL for a while too so decided to check the map out in QL..

Thanks for a pretty good map layout. I had a good run about and enjoyed a couple of FFAs with a variety of bots at different skill levels and all went very well. Layout and item placement fine by me but one small suggestion is to lower the niche holding the book near the LG so players might pause to read. I can't think what text would be appropriate.

Yes, I did fall to my death a few times in your green fog of death.

The lighting was fine but a little more detail on the rocks would be nice as would plants on those angled green ledges.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-22-2019 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent map! I've always loved q3dm3, especially with a lightning gun on it. I'm impressed, good work, sir. I noticed some z-fighting..or whatever you call it, on the floor...took a pic ;)

https://imgur.com/Ugj7vqm

It would be nice to see a Q3A version of your BloodCovenant remake from Champions as well, so that I can load it up in Q3 EDawn!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-23-2019 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@v1l3: Thanks!
It looks more like a rendering bug, maybe your GFX is dying. :eek: Can you test it on baseq3 without any mods?
Also the rocks in the background behind GL have the wrong colour/texture on it.

The "Blood Covenant" remake wasn't done by me. I just helped a little bit finishing the map in terms of performance.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-23-2019 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13, the map looks great! :up: :cool: I'd only add a little more weapons, because as for me, there are few areas where you find yourself helpless after respawn.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-23-2019 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My GFX isn't dying...it's brand new!! :paranoid: I ran it again in a clean baseq3 (which I should have known to do first...it's been a while..ha!) and it is gone...so I guess that all is good. I've changed the majority of my Q3A textures to have better looking rocks and many other things, due to Edawn's 64 bit exe making things look more detailed, so that's why the rock textures were different. It was possibly something in there which had been causing it..another .shader file or something. /shrugs

It's too bad that that map couldn't be ported over. I really wanted to see someone port all of the Champions maps for Q3A, because it would show that this Q3A can still shine in beauty, regardless of it being dated.

I'm happy to see that you're still making maps for QL as well. I haven't had a good internet connection in ages. =/

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-17-2019 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Beta #2 available!

Stuff I changed so far:
- better lighting, rocks & sky
- more weapons
- replaced the green fog of death with plain blackness of death (performance reasons)
- added 2 really nice secrets!

Things still to do:
- some plants

There are 2 missing sounds in the secret areas, because the map is atm optimized for QL. This will be fixed in the final release when I split up the map in 2 versions. (just ignore this error)

Download Q3A version Beta2 (6.5 MB)
PK3: map-13arena_b2.pk3
ZIP: map-13arena_b2.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1661746504

How to find the secrets: (click only if you couldn't find it on your own)
Secret #1
is on top of the tower. You can reach it by rocketjumping on the center jumppad in the basement. Or make a quad-damage rocketjump from the quad spawn point.

Secret #2
can be found behind the boulder. You have to be faster as the boulder to reach the room behind. It's a good idea to duck on the last meters (after the 4 steps).You have to restart the map after a failed attempt, because the boulder is not going back up on it's own.
You can also simply use the spectator to enter the room in noob mode. But then you have to post it here that you are a noob! :D

Have fun!

sst13...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-22-2020 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Release!

Hi, here comes the final Quake3 version:

Download Q3A version (6.7MB)
PK3: map-13arena.pk3
ZIP: map-13arena.zip

Have fun!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-22-2020 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fantastic work as per usual!

Also: the golden buttplug :olo:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[quote="sst13"]Final Release!
hi! =) very nice work! but I have some missing textures w/o any error messages.. :ducky:

jumping down from the LG can give you both RG and MH =)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Obsessed: Looks like a shader conflict. Check if you have a previous Beta version of the map in your baseq3 and delete it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 04:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
@Obsessed: Looks like a shader conflict. Check if you have a previous Beta version of the map in your baseq3 and delete it.

ty, it helped ofc =) very cool map, as usual!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey sst...my computer won't allow me to download your map, because of security issues. I dunno if it is because your site isn't HTTPS...but my antivirus is completely blocking the download links. I want this map!!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2020 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
my computer won't allow me...

Who is the boss? You, or your computer? :olo:

There must be some kind of setting somewhere in your antivirus. Maybe google the problem. You're probably not alone with this.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 12-17-2020 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, what an amazing map!!! great gameplay and so atmospheric! It reminds me of Tomb Raider games, particularly the huge rolling stone. After many attempts I managed to enter the room (using RL from pillar in arch in middle). So cool. Congrats!! I took the liberty of submitting it to LvL World (as well as your Tokay conversion, which imo is the best among all out there).

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 12-22-2020 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
Who is the boss? You, or your computer?

My anti-virus is most definitely the boss!

I finally managed to get the map. Excellent work, sst13!! I love this map!! Q3DM3 has always been one of my favorite maps, especially after playing it in the CROM ffa server online where he added an LG to the map in place of the GL. It's nice to see it with a Q1 look though, along with the added-on part beneath it. It's beautiful! Very fun to play. The bots play really well too!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.