Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GtkRadiant 1.6.6

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GtkRadiant 1.6.6

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Build 1.6.6 2018-04-22

• A fairly large set of small changes that brings GtkRadiant and NetRadiant's q3map2 on a common base of code. There are still differences between the two compilers but this change makes it easier to transfer changes back and forth. See https://github.com/TTimo/GtkRadiant/pull/605 for details. Credits to Thomas Debesse for all the work there.
  • Import minimap feature from NetRadiant's q3map2 (also Thomas Debesse)
  • More general stability fixes to q3map2 (Thomas Köppe)
  • Allow negative light values
  • Several fixes for Quetoo and idTech2 surface inspector (see
  • https://github.com/TTimo/GtkRadiant/pull/613)
  • Make q3map2 sort the paks same way the engine does

Build 1.6.6 2018-02-03

Remove obsolete quakelive encrypted pk3 support
Support "eangle" in entity defs
Provide a hardcoded notex if missing in gamepak
More fixes to Unvanquished and Quake paks

Code:

Add scons options to skip downloading game packs
Warnings/mem leaks etc. code fixes

Build 1.6.6 2018-01-22

Consider this an early beta build. Feedback would be really appreciated. Probably pretty rough. Highlight of the changes:

FreeBSD support (Thomas Debesse)
Switched Windows project files to Visual Studio 15 (2017)
Integrated the Quake 1 support that was half finished previously
Merged patches to support Unvanquished
Refactor code to use flexible array members (Thomas Koppe)
Misc rare memory corruption crashes and bug fixes

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 12:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obs, how is the Quake support, it's working well? Not sure if you tested this much. I had some old version of 1.6 that some one hacked together or something =D that didn't work too well, at least not for me.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-25-2018 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Older versions of 1.6 for Q1 support was essentially half finished and therefore broken. It should now be working as well as it did with the 1.4 branch, though I haven't yet tested it myself. If you're able to, give it a run and let us know if you experience any problems.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-12-2019 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey nice job, I love seeing updates on GTK Radiant eventhough I rarely use it nowdays.

One question though, what would be the reason my numpad doesn't change the grid anymore?

Note I'm using an azerty keyboard, it used to work last times I've used radiant.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-14-2019 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've downloaded the 1.6.6. But there is all same games. I wonder what is the better for quake4? Built in editor?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-18-2019 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToKu wrote:
From time to time I fire up Radiant and start to making maps. Recently a friend of mine invited me to try 'a different' (1.5 based) Radiant.
Well what should I say. I'm so glad our Radiant 1.6.6 is still there, and alive. The other one was so '1.5-like' with an annoying and useless texture-directory window (seemingly still not possible to toggle off).
Additionally it seems as if Radiant 1.6.6 looks a bit 'sharper' than other Radiant forks. Maybe youngsters don't like the sober appearance of the 1.4/1.6 Radiant and prefer the 1.5 style, personally I think it's nice that even 1.6.6 still has this 'genuine' Radiant feeling which makes it distinctive from 1.5 forks.
Well, to make along story short, all of you did a nice job! Thanks!

As for me, the 1.5-like texture-directory window is quite useful, which is why I actually liked the 1.5 version. However, the downside is that the 1.5 came with quite different editing controls and actually allowed to create ghost brushes (zero-width brushes, which became invisible and impossible to select directly), and as all of us know, ghost brushes became real pain in the ass when it came to compiling the map. They often caused the map to leak or created sort of duplicate planes and it actually broke the map and when the map itself is corrupt, it can actually make the entire game feel quite dizzy, which is why there might many textures appear missing or shaders stop working properly and even stock Q3 maps look like they're broken. In reality, they're not, but something the game loaded up is, and it confuses the engine. That's why I was glad that Radiant came out in a new version that sort of returned back to 1.4-ish design, but actually introduced innovative techniques and added more games (notably Quake Live, which was real pain in the ass to set up for Radiant 1.4), and it was far easier to use on newer OS like Windows 7, because the old Radiant 1.4 didn't work well with Aero workspace of Windows Vista and above. Radiant 1.6 fixed this issue and also added an option to disable desktop composition (basically turn off the Aero workspace) for users who encounter issues with the editor regardless number of bug fixes. An option to fix ATI videocard bug (the disappearing flashy polygons) is also a nice touch, which I had real issues back then when I was getting started with Radiant 1.4. The disappearing polygons prevented me from using the editor so I searched up and saw an experimental Radiant 1.5. It actually sort of fixed the disappearing polygons, but introduced whole new level of issues. First of all, the controls were not so convenient and the design looked quite different. The new entity definition system (using XML scheme) confused me as well, and the fact that it was so easy to create ghost brushes made things even worse, because I was often caught off guard and quite "overdone" shrinking of too large brushes, which left me with zero-width brushes (and it actually only needs just one face to become zero-width to make a ghost brush) and I didn't really know what to do to get rid of them. As for someone who actually was a novice for the editor, that kind of confused me and I literally wanted to return back to 1.4 - but that had that weird polygon bug, right? So what to do? Luckily, things sorted out over time and I was finally able to learn the editor properly and start experimenting and making first sort of maps (which still can be found on the original WorldSpawn sites - ws.q3df.org)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-22-2019 05:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToKu wrote:
@ CZghost Due to the reasons you mentioned I never used 1.5 based Radiant forks longer than a few hours I'm NO 1.5 expert, so just a question about the 'ghost' brushes: doesn't the 'Select Inside' method help in this case? So that only visible brushes inside the selecting brush are selected, or are ghost brushes selected as well with this method?
NOTE: I don't even know if 1.5 Radiant has the 'Select Inside' functionality.
Anyways, nice to hear that you also use 1.6!

I don't remember really, so only take what I say very carefully and make sure to actually confirm that it's true because I don't really know :D

However, as far as I know (or I think I know), the Select Inside function exists in Radiant 1.5 and it acts just like you would expect it. It deletes the brush and selects all brushes and meshes that are inside that volume. I don't know exactly, but I suspect that it's going to select the ghost brushes as well They can be then deleted by manually deselecting each brush and deleting when no selection appears (but in reality the ghost brushes are actually selected).

But I didn't use Radiant for a quite long time (shame on me, because I have a work in progress map actually to be done). Also, my computer sort of lost its mind after some buggy Windows 10 Update, so I was forced to actually leave it in repair shop. They fixed it by performing a factory reset (basically they reset the entire installation with the factory settings as it came to me first time - it was just set up by the factory as some sort of testing, so I had to rename the user and reconnect it with my Microsoft account to get back my desktop settings). The downside is that I lost everything I had on my drive, so I had to download and install Recuva and recover at least my personal photos. Everything else I just took granted to be lost forever, including my own personal videos that were part of my photos, actually. Luckily, the videos didn't actually take large part of the memories alongside the photos, the vast majority of them were the photos. That also included my work in progress map, so the only backup I have, is an outdated version of the workspace raw map I have on my desktop at home. The only issue is that this desktop is sort of dying, so I have to sort things out quickly. The computer is no longer in use, which may actually help me to retrieve what I need. But I am currently away from home, so I do not have access to that computer. We have a new desktop computer (Windows 10) and this computer doesn' have Quake 3 installed yet, nor does it have Radiant. That's also subject to change soon. But not very soon, because I am actually going on vacation for a week.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-19-2019 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Obs,
Been using this build for awhile, I’d love to do some bug reporting on feature suggestions.
The GTK 1.5 model rotation was awesome.
The 1.5 brush clean up was awesome.
1.6 vertex handling is so much better, but not being able to select multiple points in edge manipulation is a pain.
The 1.5 selection tool was great.
Patch texturing in 1.6 is great, but texture lock is pretty screwed and replace texture resets all the texture coordinates on brushes, which is damn annoying.
I’ve issues with BSP monitoring on my work PC, but that’s possibly a ram issue.
Texture lock and model rotation are my main gripes, although mirror and rotate seem to handle model orientation pretty well.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-20-2019 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi.
I double checked I was on the right version.
1.5 will not allow the creation of bad brushes. There is no need to run brush cleanup. It’s automatic.
1.5 had a gizmo for rotating models on all axis.
The edge manipulation on brushes works, but you can’t group select and move multiple edge points like you could in 1.5, or as you can with patch manipulation points in 1.6 and 1.5

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.