Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Easy way for a skybox?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Easy way for a skybox?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-08-2019 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I am doing a series of various videos as a tribute to different stages were I have spent sooo many hours. I already did for q3dm6 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNfvFOBC0A), and now I m going for q3dm17.

With Q3MME I'd like to use the command to change the sky so I can used it as chorma key (with pure black creates many artifacts)

Code:
mme_skykey              [0, 1..9, a..t, xHEXCOL] Set a colour for skybox; could be used as chroma key

The problem is that I've found out that q3dm17 has no skybox, so this command does not apply.

I assume the only way is adding a sky to q3dm17. Is there any easy way to do so?

Thanks in advance !

:q3: !!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-08-2019 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes q3dm17 has no real sky, only plain black walls.
The best way to change the color, temporary for a video project, is to replace (overwrite) the original black texture with your own color.

The shader for the black walls in q3dm17 is: "textures/skies/blacksky" using "gfx/colors/black.tga" as texture source.

So just make somewhere a "gfx" folder with a "colors" folder inside.
Save a small (64x64) black.tga with your desired color inside the "colors" folder.
Now right click the "gfx" folder and create a ZIP file from that folder. (check the correct path inside the ZIP afterwards)
Rename the resulting "gfx.zip" into "zzz-blacksky2color.pk3".
Place that pk3 into your baseq3 folder.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-08-2019 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So fast and accurate. Excellent :q3: !!

Thanks !!!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.