Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Compiling maps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Compiling maps

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-23-2020 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EDITED:
What is the best way to compile a map (I mean the tool) or use the built-in compiler? Or maybe something from alternative programs (GTKBuild, Quake Tolkit, Q3map2GUI) or from the "cmd" console and commands (as for the "cmd" console, I haven't compiled it yet, but I will learn how to do it.) compilation errors and technical failure? Is there a bigger difference between programs that we know are not current at the moment?

Last edited by Fruity on 02-25-2020 05:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-25-2020 01:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Virtually all maps are compiled with Q3map2 or some derivative. Q3map2 is a command line program, meaning you feed it parameters and it then uses them to produce a map file.

How you feed it parameters varies. You can type them in manually, feed it parameters via a batch file, or use a front end like the built in commands in GtkRadiant or a third-party front end. How you do so is a matter of preference and convenience. For most tests, I use the built in commands, final builds I use a batch file.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-25-2020 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for moving the topic, for some time I was blind and couldn't find the "new topic" button.
Ok, I will check and I think I will do it during compilation tests.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-25-2020 07:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw, is there a Frontend that is up to date? One that knows all the new q3map2 parameters?

Or maybe one where you can customize parameters? (Maybe like the way you can add new entities in Radiant by editing the *.def files.)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-27-2020 02:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:
btw, is there a Frontend that is up to date? One that knows all the new q3map2 parameters?

Or maybe one where you can customize parameters? (Maybe like the way you can add new entities in Radiant by editing the *.def files.)

My Quake Toolkit is an old tool but it should be up to date with all the latest q3map2 options. But if something is missing, it does offer the option to add custom commandline options.
Unfortunately, I have lost the source code to this project so I can't really make any changes to it anymore.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-27-2020 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just recently used this program to create a bot and very nice service, it couldn't be easier :-p. I tried to do special for a given game mode, I temporarily paused for testing. Only this did not work (loading 2 options ...) of the previous settings of the previously created "scripts / xxx.bot" file. But that's not important and it's not a problem. Overall a very cool tool

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.