Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        I've created a new mod specifically for mappacks

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I've created a new mod specifically for mappacks

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-29-2020 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was playing the mappacks Tig has released through Lvl and thought it was interesting that he included customized arenas.txt files with the mappacks so you could play the maps in single player mode, unlocking them one by one. I thought it was a shame we couldn't do that for CTF maps (or play TDM games in single player) so I went ahead and rectified that situation.

So what I did was I created a mod that allows you to play FFA as well as TDM and CTF gamemodes in single player. The mod is pretty bare bones and changes nothing about the gameplay of Quake 3. It only includes a slightly customized single player level select screen, a custom intermission screen for TDM and CTF games (FFA shows the podium) and it keeps track of Capture, Assist and Defense medals in single player mode.

So if you want to release a map pack that's playable in single player, use this mod as a basis to redistribute it along with a custom arenas.txt file so people can play your mappack in single player.

For more info and downloads, go to https://github.com/TheEnginesOfCreation/q3spenhanced
At the bottom of the page is a v1.0 download link. You can install this and check it out because it does include a custom arenas.txt file (only with stock Q3 maps though) so you can get a taste of how things look.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-29-2020 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, also:
Quake 3 has these tier introduction cinematics which introduce the characters that appear in a certain tier in the game. These videos are a bit out of place for custom mappacks, so I had the idea of supplying custom tier introduction videos that are generic in nature. Do you have the graphical design skill to make tier introduction videos and are you interested in helping this project out with that? Please let me know.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-13-2020 04:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just made a v2.0 release.
This release also allows the single player tournament gametype in which the player has to defeat each bot in a 1v1 match to complete the arena.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-16-2020 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You wrote at the top about the "arenas" file. How can I check a given map set and how do I run it on a regular "Q3"?

I don't really understand. :-O

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.