Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Another new but not really new CTF map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Another new but not really new CTF map

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-07-2020 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on a roll here guys ;)
I've finished and released the Quake 3 conversion of an old Team Arena map I made ages ago. The original, Celestial Mechanics was released back in 2001 and now, almost 19 years later, I've re-textured and re-item-ed (is that a word?) the map so it can be played with Quake III Arena without having to have Team Arena installed. Check it out here: http://theenginesofcreation.com/content ... ons/ermap2

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-16-2020 12:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will gladly check the map.
I have a question:
I never knew what, this is "Team Arena" so that's my question. What is the difference between "TA" and normal "Q3"?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-16-2020 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake III Team Arena was an expansion pack for Quake III Arena, created by id Software. Team Arena offered new game modes, new weapons and items, new levels, new characters and a bunch of new features. It focused entirely on team play.

The original Team Arena version of this map used Team Arena weapons, items and textures, so you had to own and install the Team Arena expansion pack to be able to play this map.
What I did was replace the TA weapons and items with Q3 weapons and items and completely retextured the map using Q3 textures. The end result is basically the same map but without the need of having Team Arena installed.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-22-2020 02:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did anyone even play team arena at launch

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-23-2020 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

morons? wrote:
did anyone even play team arena at launch

:smirk: I still have the CD somewhere. I probably waited outside the store on opening to be first in the buy queue. It was like that in the days of retail game launches.

I can't find the CD but these surfaced..

Seeing and reading of the map makes me want to fire up Quake III Team Arena. IMO, it wasn't too bad in the day and it will be interesting to have a look again.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-23-2020 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
morons? wrote:
Seeing and reading of the map makes me want to fire up Quake III Team Arena. IMO, it wasn't too bad in the day and it will be interesting to have a look again.

Team Arena in itself was pretty cool. The maps were great and the new gamemodes were enjoyable. It's just that there wasn't a whole lot of content in there and it didn't really do anything new. id Software could've done so much more with the add-on. I still played it quite a bit with friends at LAN parties as well as online.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.